Track day pics...

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
Just some pics from my trackday at VIR on the grand course.

I took the SV650S instead of the 'busa just to see the difference, plus I wanted to ride the bike since I just had gotten it friday.

The grand course at VIR is about 4.25 miles..  HUGE.. takes the best parts of the north course, south course, and patriot course and combines them.... "BUSY" is an understatement.. haha..  I feel lucky already having some experience on the North Course so I only had to learn the other 2 miles of blind turns, decreasing radius, and .. just for kicks.. how about a blind decreasing set of esses.. oh... and lets put them on a severe downhill grade for chits and giggles.

Unebelievable fun!  Had it not been for the weather it would have be simpy perfect... and it was damn close even when the temperature hit 102... yes.. thats right.. full leather in 102 temps... plus humidity that you could literally see...  track temp. was like 128 or some such ungodly number.. tires felt like, and slightly resembled melted marshmellow after each session... needless to say... tire warmers weren't really a big advantage.. haha.

Anyway.. few simple observations on the SV - vs. - Hayabusa.

The hayabusa's weight would have killed me today..  the last two minutes or so of each session were so hard.. even on the light weight SV..  I felt like it was all I could do to get it heaved from left to right for the tight esses that are part of the patriot course..  I was literally grunting by the end. .. Thats a 380 pnd bike... 480 would have probably put me in the grass... or worse.  That could be overcome I suppose if I were in a little better shape... but that would be too much like work..

I think I've confirmed my suspicions that the biggest thing "wrong" with the hayabusa for a track day are brakes...  either that or too much damn power...  take your pick.. haha I blame the brakes.. just can't whoa it down and you end up losing the advantage you gain in the straights because you have to start braking so much earlier..

whatever... they are both a blast to ride..  I would have been a whupped pup (even more than I am) had I been on the hayabusa.

On to the pics!

I decided I was going to do track days enough to warrant having knee sliders...  well if your gonna have em' ya may as well use em.. haha.

<!--EDIT|pure_ego
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122350098 -->

sv_web_7_puck.jpg

My first set of knee sliders, and I already messed em' up.. haha I always thought I could put my knee down alot of time when I would pull it up a bit because of the lack of sliders... and I proved myself correct.. 3rd lap in the first session...

scrrrrraaaapee... ... *big smile* COOL!

I had to take that pic as soon as I got off the bike. Got to be pretty normal by the end of the day.. I pretty much knew exactly when they were going to touch, and where at on the track.. actually started using it as a reference for one turn... knee touches... wait . .. wait... roll into the throttle and get ready to upshift.

sorry got sidetracked..

here is one of a friend of mine about to hand me my ass on his TL1000R... seems like alot of people say the TL isn't a good track bike... God I hope they are wrong cuz if he ever gets on a "good" track bike I'm never gonna have even the slightest hope of keeping up... We ended up running with a few out of the racers group... I could stay with them for about half a session and then they would slowly, but consistently pull away... mike just kicked it up a notch and ran with them.. crazy.

sv_web_1.jpg

not sure what this one is... look at the next post for a description if needed.

sv_web_2.jpg

Oh, I just liked that shot... that bike is cool... damn thing looks like it rolled off the showroom floor and it's got like 13,000 miles or so..

I hope I can keep it in that good of shape.

sv_web_3.jpg

I was really proud of that last one.. I've always had trouble with that turn .. always missing the rumble strip.. nailed it that time though.

sv_web_4.jpg

that last pic just shows that I still have some clearance issues... peg had either just touched, was getting ready to, or was.. I took the feelers off after the first session because it upsets the little SV alot more than the busa when stuff starts dragging.

sv_web_5.jpg

I'm so glad I went with the white boots now.. I was kinda worried about it when I ordered em'.. I just think they look tits with all the black.

Looks like a blast, cool pics!  
cool.gif

Hopefully Suzuki will put radial brakes on the 2006 Busa.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122349809 -->

This last one just shows the esses just after where turn 7 would be on the north course..

I've never got to run thru this part on the busa... but it would be work.. serious WORK wipping it back and forth like that..

on the SV you can hold it 6th gear 9-10,000 rpms (about 125-130 on a SV) WFO up thru there if you get the first turn right..

your going so fast that when you do the 2nd left/right transition you end up leaning WAAAAY off the right side of the bike in the open air and the wind literally tries to blow you off the bike..   It's so wild.. your helmet turns a few degrees to the left and by that time you've already commit and letting off the gas at that high an rpm on a V-twin would be a baaad thing.. haha lots of engine braking.. very near full lean at 120+.. i think not!

you guys shoulda went.. was a frikken blast.. heck if you guys will go I'll even take the 'busa.

<!--EDIT|pure_ego
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122350319 -->

sv_web_8_esses.jpg

Looks like a blast, cool pics!  
cool.gif

Hopefully Suzuki will put radial brakes on the 2006 Busa.
I'm not sure that would help enough.. hehhe..

maybe standard SS lines, radial brakes... and lose 40 pnds.. that would probably be getting to be a pretty serious (if slightly heavy) track bike...

I don't wanna come off the wrong way.. I did a track day with the 'busa and suprised alot of people when I went around them... but I think it may be more fun to blow some of the pricks off the track on the outside, knee down and tucked in on a lowly 'zuk 650.. lol

Very cool
cool.gif
Nice pics.

I'll be going to my first track day on the gixxer 600 in about 2 weeks. I can't wait.

Pure-ego,
Thanks for the comments and the pics. I have never been to the track, but reading this post (and others) and looking at the pics really gives me the itch.

Errrrrr.
thumbs-up.gif

Very cool
cool.gif
Nice pics.

I'll be going to my first track day on the gixxer 600 in about 2 weeks. I can't wait.
Great pics, thanks! ALWAYS great seeing people doing track days... you learn SO much, have MORE fun bla bla bla preach preach

stkr, where you heading this go 'round?

Those pics are great and incredibly clear. Looks like a lot of fun and makes me want to hit the track soon.

Back