track day pics

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Had another NESBA track day at our local road coarse. It's a 2.2 mile twistie "technical" track and lots of fun. convinced a buddy to go with for the free intro two session class... he had a blast and stayed the whole day.
Pic: lunch at Subway, getting ready for the long haul. Instead of taking the 2 hour strait shot interstate, someone we managed to stretch it out to about 5 hours on backroads... which in the end was greulling but a lot of fun. Went out on Friday night stayed over for the morning track day Saturday that started at 7am

7_17_2004_001.jpg

took a pic [well, several dozen actually but using the best for you guys] of my ride and the unique 'sterilizing' seating position. SERIOUS. I will not go into the actual physical damage I did to myself riding squished in there for 5 hours. think about it

halfway.JPG

found the middle of nowhere. it's this cool race track! right below Omaha Nebraska / Council Bluffs Iowa in Pacific Junction, IA

pj.JPG

stayed in a cheap hotel seen outside the window 2 miles from the track. after prepping the bikes ate at the local gas/greasy spoon diner which is exactly like any midwest greasy sppon diner you seen in any movie. food was great, cheap. here we are chillin after are long ride: 636 Mike Left, and Busa Best Right

chillin.JPG

saturday was a PERFECT day at the track as you can see, not too hot, slight cool breeze. this was the sky ALL DAY LONG

perfect.JPG

my idea of a low budget track day. canopy-smanopy! Park, throw stuff on ground, proceed with 3rd degree sunburning ritual

lowbudget.JPG

diablo corsa's seemed to be really popular... or they sucked and everyone was throwing them away....I couldn't tell which. ;) No they rocked and they track guys were shcoked how well they were standing up to multiple track days. heck, I spanked my street diablos all day long at 31 psi and they still look great. stick solid, I NEVER doubted them and I pushed them past MY limits. more on that later.
biggrin.gif

diablos.JPG

about 6 people went off track today. it was fairly but safely crowded and I think people pushed themselves too hard. This silver 636 was ridden by a girl right off the track. she was totally fine and people helped get her bike rolling again wtih screws, zipties, wiring, and even duct tape see on the seen section with a little reminder: oops. erm.... I went off the track to. Yep. Got my first dirt biking expereince. I had just finished passing my last half of 6 people who I'd been pushing in the corners, and I scrapped a peg quite hard and uprighted too much and headed for the dirt. I went in at maybe 50 mph and avoided the front brake while I felt it pitch back and forth thru loose dirt, mud and grass on the shoulder parallel to the track. As I was in it, I started thinking "This isn't so bad, I cold return onto the track, but I checked my 6 and saw they pack I'd just pased going by so I sat tight for a few seconds and came to a complete stop. I saw a gap in riders, glanced at the conrner worker who was dutifully wavign a yellow flag for me, and he nodded and pointed me back on so I jump back on the track and eased back into the game. I should have been rattled, but it didn't do a thing to me except make my dought my grassy tires - which proceeded to prove me wrong and stuck like glue again agfter a few hunderd feet. I tried breaking the free to test but they wouldn't unlatch. sweeet. I also rounded a corner to see a guy's bike laying down and his standing there.... and on anther turn, I watched a guy ride strait off the curve into a cloud a dust. quite the excitement today!

oops.JPG

"HOUSTON, WE HAVE CONTACT!"
This was a proud moment for me, I gotta tell you guys. After hiking off the side of my busa like it's a freakin Catamran, I finally figured out I coulda been knee dragging all this time! My FOOT POSITION WAS WRONG! I just tried something different and there I was grinding down my knee puck! FINALLY! I used to hike my butt off, and haf the ball of my foot planted on the end of the peg. NOPE! I put my foot back on teh peg so my soul was also touching the busa, and this changed the angle of my super long legs, dropping my knees a few more inches and BINGO! Knee dragging!! I was so happy, I just ended my lap and exited to video tape my excitement. I never had any interest in draggin knees, but, well, there I was. And it did something weird to my confidence level too because now I can guage where my bike is lean wise. So... the BUSA CAN LEAN, and THE BUSA CAN KNEE DRAG IN STOCK CONFIGURATION. There ya have it. AND on a 190 tire. Don't let anybody tell you differnent. After scraping down on both sides and pitting, I examined the scraps and repositioned the pucks for better contact next time out... and OOH next time out was fun - nearly every corner I could touch down whether I needed to or not. It was just fun!

Man, I'm rambling on.... can ya tell it was fun???
smile.gif

DCAM0299.JPG

And here's my trophy for the day: scrapped knee pucks.
I don't consider myself a great driver b any means, but the track is an awesome place to practice skills and learn your bike better. The busa is WIDE and requires a little more finesse on tracks designed for 600's, but it handled great. I was all the way out to the edges of my tires and never let me down, not even close, not once! Hope you enjoyed my lil slide show and ride safe!

trophy.JPG

That looks like a whole lot of fun. I've never raced at a track.:cool:
Kevin, I highly reccomend it. NESBA.COM offers two FREE sessions if there's anything close to you. You can learn SO MUCH MORE anc do so mouch more on a track than you can EVER come close to on the street. And it's so much safer too!

As a side note, it's not really "Racing" but just you improving your skillz. Great instructors, great opportunity to push your self and bike. The bike can do about 5 times more than what YOU can do to it.

paddock.JPG

I doesn't look like they have any events in Florida. There are many drag strips around, I'm sure there has to be a place for me to try the kind of riding you're doing.
race.gif

I can't wait to do a track day. But I need $300.oo extra dollars first, I'll check out the free one you mentioned. But I seriously doubt anything is free in California.

ya like those pics? I gotta bunch more - just didn't wanna bore people or hog the internet!
smile.gif
I'll post a few more here.

Kevin, I don't know what this is but check it out.
http://www.motorcycleridesinamerica.com/florida_track_day_schedule.htm
Do a Google.com search for: motorcycle track day florida
and see what's near ya

I forgot to mention WHY this bike is amazing! It just does everything. On the way out it was touring, top speed runs, drag racing, twistie riding and back to touring again on every surface type imaginable - just does everything so well - except I don't recommend stacking the seat like I did there.

touring.JPG

Excellent pics and a good story too!
Makes me want to get to the track.

Charles: it's about 150 for a track day at Willow...

Back