Track day.... DO IT!!

Get a different bike for the track, or don't do it. Riding aggressively carries the inherent risk of crashing. Crashing is expensive. Frame sliders aren't there to prevent damage to the plastics. Sliders help protect the frame. The plastics also help protect the frame, and provide an aerodynamic shape to slide through the air. And yes, it can cost around $1k for new plastics.

I got a CBR for the track because I kept pushing the Busa pretty hard. I know I could push it harder, but I decided I don't want to subject myself to the mental anguish of seeing my Busa wadded up on track (or anywhere else for that matter).

:beerchug:

+1 to 1bad and 1340. Never ride above your head. Pay attention to your tires. If you pay attention to the traction you might find yourself going faster on each lap. The point is to enjoy it and learn to become a better rider.

Anyone can twist the throttle and go fast. Cornering takes skills. The more you learn, the more you will enjoy it.

Get a different bike for the track, or don't do it. Riding aggressively carries the inherent risk of crashing. Crashing is expensive. Frame sliders aren't there to prevent damage to the plastics. Sliders help protect the frame. The plastics also help protect the frame, and provide an aerodynamic shape to slide through the air. And yes, it can cost around $1k for new plastics.

I got a CBR for the track because I kept pushing the Busa pretty hard. I know I could push it harder, but I decided I don't want to subject myself to the mental anguish of seeing my Busa wadded up on track (or anywhere else for that matter).

+ 2 Try the track and see if you even like it. Im betting you will love it. If you get addicted like the rest of us, then save up and get a track bike. I did the same thing as TruWrecks. I really enjoyed the track and made it up to the advance group. Making some war wonds on the pegs and fairing. So I got a Gixxer 600.

yeah im thinking sometime i might go do a track day. I will take it easy though as the busa was and still is my dream bike so I dont want to wreck it. And later, when I have the money I might buy a more nimble bike for track only. I have always been partial to R6's...

Congrats an some pics an or vids be nice. I would love to do it but I could never risk my Busa on a track.. maybe some day I could get my hands on a new gixxer 750. I used to love to corner on that one.

hey so heres another question. the thing that keeps me slow on the streets is that I dont feel comfortable not being able to see the whole turn, and that there might be some dirt or other **** on the road. Is visability on most tracks ever an issue? And is there dirt on the track, or is it pretty well cleaned?

The Busa will surprise you if your trust it. I took my peg feelers off because it was distracting when they scraped. I scraped my toe on the ground the next track day.

I just did a track day on my CBR. I was leaning it a little more than the Busa until my front tire decided to quit gripping the track. I didn't crash, but I needed a crowbar to get off the seat for a few turns after.

Try it. I bet you'll like it.

hey so heres another question. the thing that keeps me slow on the streets is that I dont feel comfortable not being able to see the whole turn, and that there might be some dirt or other **** on the road. Is visability on most tracks ever an issue? And is there dirt on the track, or is it pretty well cleaned?

Track or street, NEVER ride faster than the distance you need to make correction or adjust for an obstacle. It's called chasing the vanishing point.

Most road race tracks are designed to give you good visibility through the turns. Take a track class and they will point out all of the hazards on that track.

:super:
I just did my first track day yesterday in Spokane, wa. Without question, the most fun I've ever had on two wheels...

I am gonna do this again!

Though the very same thing, the track is as fun as it gets:super:

Track or street, NEVER ride faster than the distance you need to make correction or adjust for an obstacle. It's called chasing the vanishing point.

Most road race tracks are designed to give you good visibility through the turns. Take a track class and they will point out all of the hazards on that track.

yeah thats exactly what i was saying. i dont feel comfortable ripping through turns on the street because usually there is a hill, building, or some other thing obstructing your view of how tight the turn is, if the corner's radius decreases (turn gets tighter) or if there is something on the road.

+1

When you start carrying more speed and lean angle around corners, the risks go way up, as well as the fun factor!! I bought a set of really cheap raceglass from a WSMC racer, painted it myself, and confident knowing I won't damage a really expensive set of OEM plastics. Here's my gixx at a recent busa.org trackday at Miller Motorsports Park earlier this month.
displayimage.php

And crash damage? hmmm....I just lowsided at Streets of Willow last weekend during Keith Codes Superbike School. I went into the "bowl" superhot and must've lost the front (felt like a tuck) and had a fair amount of damage to my ride. Here's the inventory of what I need to replace:

Upper Fairing Stay: $160+
Front brake lever: $100 (the shorty like Pazzos or ASV)
Left and Right hand Engine covers: $200+
repair to my race bodywork + paint: free (I already have the fiberglass repair kit and paint)
new gear shift lever: $50
new frame sliders: $40
repairs to my Alpinestars Octane Racing suit: $80 estimated
grips: $12
New Shoei RF-1000: $400
Windscreen double bubble: $70

It could've been worse but I think that's pretty much it. And that's at a lowside around 70 mph, but on a camber or banked corner. So my Gixx actually flipped at the top of the impact zone.

Last edited:
my question is this. How much is the damage gonna cost you? Do you have frame sliders or not? I really want to do a track day and the track here is good and very affordable. However, I am absolutely terrified of crashing. Its not the pain that bothers me, nor the humiliation (that is pretty daunting in itself, though), but rather the damage to the bike. I have heard that if you drop the bike and crack plastics, it is about 1 grand to replace. Is this true? In that case I will be staying off the track because I dont want to pay for a 1000+$ trackday.

I don't know how close you are to aluquerque, but here is a 750 for $4000.
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

You can find better deals that that on an older streetbike.
Any year SV650
Any year ZX7
Any year GSXR
Any Year FZR
ANy Year CBR, etc

Find one that is already a track bike, and buy it cheap, get a trailer, and ride the hell out of it. Who cares if it is new or not, you will have more fun on a beater than a nice bike, than on something you are worried about crashing.

one does not HAVE to buy a special bike. just don't push past your skills or knowledge of surface and machine. I been tracking my busa for 4 years and never laid it down. But I will not be progressing my track skillz on it, this much I know. But it is simply fun for me, like visiting a go-kart track. When you DO GET addicted, and MUST keep progressing, need more speed etc, THEN get a dedicated bike. As long as you don't over do it and don't RACE competitively at track days, the busa works just fine

and yes a couple hundred bucks is WAY cheaper than speeding tickets and/or accidents on the streets. and after your track day, you WILL feel the cost is so minimal compared to the fun!

my question is this. How much is the damage gonna cost you? Do you have frame sliders or not? I really want to do a track day and the track here is good and very affordable. However, I am absolutely terrified of crashing. Its not the pain that bothers me, nor the humiliation (that is pretty daunting in itself, though), but rather the damage to the bike. I have heard that if you drop the bike and crack plastics, it is about 1 grand to replace. Is this true? In that case I will be staying off the track because I dont want to pay for a 1000+$ trackday.

Well...for me, not much. I lucked out and dropped it on the right hand side...the side that I've already rashed up a bit on the street.. The frame slider, the peg, and the muffler took 90% of the damage....oh, and my windscreen.. If the right side plastics wouldn't have already been scuffed, it'd have bugged me more..

The forks twisted in the trees, but all I had to do is remove the side fairings so I could get to the bolts.. loosen them, and twist it back straight again. No big deal.

I can tell you this..it was worth it. The small amount of minor damage to the bike was nothing compared to the rush I had all day..

Finally got a couple pics from my buds that were corner working Friday..

I started out in the "A" group (beginner) and after 2 sessions, Sullivan and Scooterrash moved me into the "B" group (intermediate).

Even though you may think you're getting "off" the bike....there is nothing like photographic proof to the contrary...:whistle:

trackday0816.jpg

trackday0815.jpg

Scooterrash following me into turn 7..
trackday081.jpg

The "after-crash" pics... note no damage on the tail section...I'm thinkin' I'll stick with stock cans...they took the brunt of the slide..
trackday084.jpg

Me trying to hurry and straighten the forks before the next session...
trackday085.jpg

Here's a shot of Scooterrash.....that turkey makes it look so dam easy....

he was throwin' sparks off his sliders all day...

trackday0810.jpg

You look good in those photo Mark. Still need to get off your bike a littl more and get your head down. But that will come along with more speed.

You improved a great deal by days end. You rode pretty damn well right from the get go. That's why you got move up to the intermediate group. For a first track day, you were excellent.

Oh, most of the guys on here don't know me as ScooterRash? ScooterRash is only on our local board. I've been TufBusa here for years.

You look good in those photo Mark. Still need to get off your bike a littl more and get your head down. But that will come along with more speed.

You improved a great deal by days end. You rode pretty damn well right from the get go. That's why you got move up to the intermediate group. For a first track day, you were excellent.

Oh, most of the guys on here don't know me as ScooterRash? ScooterRash is only on our local board. I've been TufBusa here for years.

:laugh: Forgot about that.... I tried to edit the above posts...but can't figure it out....

Scooterrash = tufbusa!

It is possible to do a track day, have fun and not crash. Nobody says you have to ride fast, just ride comfortable. I bet if you slow down hit the correct breaking points, apexes, and lines you will finish a lap faster than if you tried to ride fast and break hard. Riding smart allows you to ride longer sessions and with less stress.

Besides, when you think your fast you will soon find yourself being passed by someone else.

+ 1 for riding in the safest environment you'll ever be on... the track. No pedestrians, no pets, no traffic, no cops, no potholes, no nothing. Just you, the bike and the pavement.

IMG_9709copy.jpg

Back