Track day.... DO IT!!

NO!! A Club race (WSMC, WERA, CCS, AFM, etc) or at the AMA pro racing level is where you test your limits in a controlled environment. You should never be riding over 100% of your ability at a trackday. If you do, you should take it to the next level and start clubracing.

Where do you determine what 100% is then?

hell, after my first track day i was hooked too. since then i have sold the busa and am currently building a full on trackbike and looking at going to racing school to get my liscense to race in wera next season in the novice class.

Oh man.....I'd LOVE to. But the skins are toast, and my "to do" list for my place has not gone away.. it's actually gotten longer!

Hey, FatMatt has a set of Pilot Powers he will give you to do spank at Portland. So tires are no excuse :thumbsup:

Where do you determine what 100% is then?[/QUO

"Trackdays" are for learning, experiencing and having fun. You can relax and focus on things like, "hmmmm... I can take this turn faster if I stop breaking at cone two, and get back on the throttle" not "I can BEAT this guy at the next turn if I PUSH HARDER". Yeah, you can find limits and look toward 100% but if you are at 100 all day, you'll just wreck at some point.

Like PIMP said, 100% should be reserved for club racing. I feel he's right. My trackdays are only about 75 - 90% range, but it is STILL SO MUCH FUN!

Where do you determine what 100% is then?

Front end is pushing (front tire starts to lose grip and slides). that is usually a result of high entry corner speed combined with hard trail braking. A receipe for a low side such as a front end tuck.

The rear slides out on exit, gets squirmy.

you pit in after a session and you're just beat, sweat pouring down, mentally and physically exhausted, breathing super heavy...

However, 100% is SUBJECTIVE. My 100% would be an expert #1 plate clubracer's 65%. The clubracer's 100% would be Ben Spies and Mat Mladin's 40%. Spies and Mladin's 100% would be Valentino Rossi's 80%. Make sense? YOU have to be the judge of where your personal "limit" is, as well as the equipment's limitations as well.

BiKe setup is hugh in regards to how far the limit can be pushed, as well as equipment: DOT Race tires vs. Slicks.....Ohlins R/T forks vs. Stock forks.....Stock spring rate vs. spring rate for your particular weight and riding style.

Too many variables to list, therefore, creating a "Subjective" 100% from rider to rider. :thumbsup:

hell, after my first track day i was hooked too. since then i have sold the busa and am currently building a full on trackbike and looking at going to racing school to get my liscense to race in wera next season in the novice class.

Wow! Didn't know you sold yer Busa. I see the trackbug has claimed another. I did the same exact thing. Almost done with complete track prepping the Gixx. WSMC for me either 3rd Sunday November or June 09. Glad to hear you jumped into the fray.

What I was saying was that you shouldn't be able to tell where your 100% is based on street riding, and now I'm reading that the track is not the place either. ???

I was taught be a track instructor that you should only ride at 80% of your skill level on the track. That gives you a chance to react to bad things. As your skills progress you will get faster.

On the street I never ride beyond 70% of my skill level.

:beerchug:

I was taught be a track instructor that you should only ride at 80% of your skill level on the track. That gives you a chance to react to bad things. As your skills progress you will get faster.

On the street I never ride beyond 70% of my skill level.

:beerchug:

Ok. But how/where do you determine your own percentage?

What I was saying was that you shouldn't be able to tell where your 100% is based on street riding, and now I'm reading that the track is not the place either. ???

I've hit 100% many times on the track. After that, I back it down to 90%, and can keep it there for the entire day, entire sessions, not get tired, and wish there were 5 more days of trackdays. But I train and condition for trackdays and racing anyways.

example: I was at Willow Springs late June on Bridgestone BT002RS tires on my Gixx. They had 2 TD's on them. I normally take T2, a constant radius high speed right hander at 115 MPH+. Normally, my tires stick like glue. But on corner exit on acceleration when getting the bike towards the center of tire, I slid the back end way out and exited Motard (drift) style. I prevented a highside by staying on the throttle and slowly modulated the throttle back to help it regain traction...slowly. I found the 100% limit for that tire and recorded in my mind not to exceed that for the rest of the day. So for me, although I could've exited T2 much harder on exit, I knew the tire was shagged and only 90% +/- of my abilities could be attained for that specific corner.

The best way to learn about finding the limit is thru dirt biking. it's much safer on dirt than wading up the nice, expensive street/trackbike. Then translate those skills to the track.

However, when it comes to a points chase and jockeying for position, you HAVE to be at 100%, or you cross the line not in 1st place.

Back