Track day.... DO IT!!

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
Been thinking about doing a track day and for whatever reason haven't yet?

Get your butt out there!!

I just did my first track day yesterday in Spokane, wa. Without question, the most fun I've ever had on two wheels...

I am gonna do this again!

Had one minor incident in my third session in the morning....I fell down. It seems that even Qualifiers can give up if the operator feeds too much throttle...:whistle:

Anyone have a right hand can (Gen 1) that I could snag??

I fall into the category of talking about it and researching it but for whatever reason haven't done it yet.??? I guess I'm a little nervous and afraid to hurt the bike if I were to crash. I want to use the Busa so I improve on it and not rent a bike. Plus I need to rent all the gear. The main thing is that you pay up front and it's rain or shine and I don't think it would be good (IMO) in the rain. I know I should just do it but for several reasons I keep putting it off

I just did my first track day yesterday in Spokane, wa. Without question, the most fun I've ever had on two wheels...

amazing how EVERYONE says that after their first track day. myself included. it is SO UNEXPLAINABLY superior to ALL street and canyon riding. You have to try it yoruself to fully comprehend why everyone says this.

awesome stuff MJN! If you've got pics from the event pls post.

I should try a trackday one of these days!! Sounds like fun!

I want to do a track day but I don't have enough money to. I should probably go to a track riding class first to get some tips and some skills that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Yep, I had the privilege of being two bike lengths behind MJN when he decided to light it up out of a tight right hand turn. Was fun to watch him do the spread eagle back slide off into the gravel.

Minor damage to his busa and no broken bones so it was a good day. He was back on the track in a short time and finished the day with a bang.

Mark only made two sessions in the A group until we moved him up to the B group. Mark rides damn good for no track experience. That little get off didn't seem to bother him. He was back at it as soon as he cleaned the gravel from the side fairing :beerchug:

I really think the guy is hooked like a big tuna? Just a hunch! :whistle:

Congrats guys on a safe day. It IS a blast and very addicting, PLUS no cars to worry about pulling out in front of you or the flashy lights behind you and by chance if you go down they send two trucks out to clean up the mess. One for the bike and an abulance for you. :thumbsup: :beerchug: Post up some pics if you took some.

awesome stuff MJN! If you've got pics from the event pls post.

I should try a trackday one of these days!! Sounds like fun!

There were several folk snappin pics...hopefully we'll get some of 'em soon..

I really want to see just how far I'm NOT getting off the bike....:laugh:

Yep, I had the privilege of being two bike lengths behind MJN when he decided to light it up out of a tight right hand turn. Was fun to watch him do the spread eagle back slide off into the gravel.

Minor damage to his busa and no broken bones so it was a good day. He was back on the track in a short time and finished the day with a bang.

Mark only made two sessions in the A group until we moved him up to the B group. Mark rides damn good for no track experience. That little get off didn't seem to bother him. He was back at it as soon as he cleaned the gravel from the side fairing :beerchug:

I really think the guy is hooked like a big tuna? Just a hunch! :whistle:
I can't say enough about how much help Steven was yesterday.... Helped me with lines, kept telling me to get my fat arse off the bike...

By the end of the day, I felt like I had improved a ton.

Dam. What a total kick in the backside!!!!!!!!

Leathers, I need a leather race suit. That's all that's between me and track days.:banghead:

Last edited:
Komodo Gear - They make great track leathers that are reasonable for what you get.

:rulez: No pics, it didn't happen. :whistle:

PR_Turn3_081308.jpg

my question is this. How much is the damage gonna cost you? Do you have frame sliders or not? I really want to do a track day and the track here is good and very affordable. However, I am absolutely terrified of crashing. Its not the pain that bothers me, nor the humiliation (that is pretty daunting in itself, though), but rather the damage to the bike. I have heard that if you drop the bike and crack plastics, it is about 1 grand to replace. Is this true? In that case I will be staying off the track because I dont want to pay for a 1000+$ trackday.

my question is this. How much is the damage gonna cost you? Do you have frame sliders or not? I really want to do a track day and the track here is good and very affordable. However, I am absolutely terrified of crashing. Its not the pain that bothers me, nor the humiliation (that is pretty daunting in itself, though), but rather the damage to the bike. I have heard that if you drop the bike and crack plastics, it is about 1 grand to replace. Is this true? In that case I will be staying off the track because I dont want to pay for a 1000+$ trackday.

YES, it is expensive to replace the stock fairing. UMM, dont ride over your head or above your limits. You are in control of the throttle. Just take it smooth and enjoy the track. Treat it like a nice twisty back road. You dont have to go out and try to win the track day.

that is very true. I am just worried about when I get more skilled and more confident, actually finding the limmit of the tires. I wont just jump in over my head, but will work my way up, and once I find that limmit, thats what I am uneasy about

You have a valid point, but the cost is the same if not more WHEN you get a ticket after wrecking your bike in the streets. I've done my share of trackdays when I was in California. Track days are not as crazy as you might think. As long as you pay attention, and ride within your limits you should be alright. You'll get all the instructions you need from Novice, Intermediate then Advance. If you're not really into twisties or sportbike riding then just forget it. Trackdays will definately hone your skills as an all around rider. Just think you're riding an F-16 with a Cesna pilot certificate, don't you want to experience what your F-16 can really do?
Just do it man, it will make you a better rider.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back