Towing dragbike

Busa_Havens

Registered
Looking for ideas on how to/where to connect a retractable tow strap to my dragbike. I've been using a pit bike to push in the past, but would like to upgrade to pulling with a quad. I have a couple of ideas, but would like to see if someone has a groundbreaking idea before I continue with my plan.

What if you were to attach a wheel chock to a drop hitch on the quad? Mount it to where it's just a couple of inches off the ground, run the bike's front wheel into it and lock it in place.

Last edited:
What if you were to attach a wheel chock to a drop hitch on the quad? Mount it to where it's just a couple of inches off the ground, run the bike's front wheel into it and lock it in place.

That's a fair idea. But lifting the front end of the bike even a little is not gona work with a wheelie bar.

Last edited:
I’ve pulled dirtbikes with a tiedown. Used a broken tiedown with NO HOOK. One wrap around the left footpeg and put your foot on it. If things go wrong just lift your foot and you’re free. Right foot is still free for rear brake. Just make sure when you’re pulling from left peg that you stay slightly right of quad and be extra aware of right turns so strap doesn’t wrap around front of bike. Might not be what you’re looking for since this was an emergency towing and not an everyday event but thought I’d throw it out there.

Good ideas so far. I'd prefer to be a bit further behind the quad also (better viewpoint in case the driver isn't paying attention!).

The tiedown with no hook would work "okay" for an emergency like you said, but too many potential issues to make it a regular thing.

On previous dragbikes it has been far easier to solve this issue as there was no front/upper fairing. Simply bolt an eye on above the front fender/tire and it's done.

True. I was thinking in terms of a no bar bike.

I liked it till I too a closer look at the picture of his bike. I really don't know anyone that's not pushing off the wheelie bar from a scooter. I have a couple friends that have made little extensions off the wheelie bar to make it easier for the guy on the scooter. That seams to work pretty well. To me it's just a matter of time before something goes bad pulling with a strap. Slack gets in the strap. You either roll over it with the tire. Or get jerked when they take up the slack. No matter how careful you are. It can, and probably will happen.

I liked it till I too a closer look at the picture of his bike. I really don't know anyone that's not pushing off the wheelie bar from a scooter. I have a couple friends that have made little extensions off the wheelie bar to make it easier for the guy on the scooter. That seams to work pretty well. To me it's just a matter of time before something goes bad pulling with a strap. Slack gets in the strap. You either roll over it with the tire. Or get jerked when they take up the slack. No matter how careful you are. It can, and probably will happen.

You are correct that most people use some sort of push peg method, and honestly, it's not THAT bad, but it would be nice to have the extra space to hold stuff with a quad. The retractable tow strap alleviates running it over, and well, the jerk is another story, haha!

My thought is to run a threaded rod through the front axle with an eye at each end that connect to some heavy duty nylon strap (think tie down strap) with a loop stitched in at the center, connect the retractable tow strap hook and off we go.

You are correct that most people use some sort of push peg method, and honestly, it's not THAT bad, but it would be nice to have the extra space to hold stuff with a quad. The retractable tow strap alleviates running it over, and well, the jerk is another story, haha!

My thought is to run a threaded rod through the front axle with an eye at each end that connect to some heavy duty nylon strap (think tie down strap) with a loop stitched in at the center, connect the retractable tow strap hook and off we go.

That thought crossed my mind too. But with that it seams like you'd pretty much give up the ability to steer. Or to separate yourself from the quad if something goes bad. Guess you'd just have to give it a try and see how it feels.

Wondering if something could be made that would attach to the front of the quad. And emulate the leg of the guy on the scooter. Still pushing on the wheelie bar. They shove the rails around with a roller bar on the front of quads. That won't work on a bike with a wheelie bar. But maybe something on that idea pushing on the bar would. A padded U shaped end to catch the bar. Maybe a stiff spring like a pogostick would have so it's not rigged. Nothing that would latch to the bar. Just something that would catch a point on the bar. And stay there when the quad was pushing. Could probably be made to stand upright when not in use. Fold down when you need it. Just a thought...

Wondering if something could be made that would attach to the front of the quad. And emulate the leg of the guy on the scooter. Still pushing on the wheelie bar. They shove the rails around with a roller bar on the front of quads. That won't work on a bike with a wheelie bar. But maybe something on that idea pushing on the bar would. A padded U shaped end to catch the bar. Maybe a stiff spring like a pogostick would have so it's not rigged. Nothing that would latch to the bar. Just something that would catch a point on the bar. And stay there when the quad was pushing. Could probably be made to stand upright when not in use. Fold down when you need it. Just a thought...
Like a push bar off the front rack, something with an open end that could push on one of the cross braces on the bar. The rod thru the front axle method seems like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

If you do use anything to pull a motorcycle you will have a life lesson. It will be painful and expensive. When moving a motorcycle you always push it never pull it. It's much easier for poop to go wrong when pulling then pushing. Everytime I hear about people pulling a bike the bike gets wrecked and the rider get injured. My buddy had a customer that did this and was hospitalized for a week due to pulling a bike.

If you do use anything to pull a motorcycle you will have a life lesson. It will be painful and expensive. When moving a motorcycle you always push it never pull it. It's much easier for poop to go wrong when pulling then pushing. Everytime I hear about people pulling a bike the bike gets wrecked and the rider get injured. My buddy had a customer that did this and was hospitalized for a week due to pulling a bike.

I do tend to agree. It's a lot easier to "get away" from the bike/pit bike when simply pushing. Maybe I'll scrap the idea and just use the quad for pit support and the pit bike for pushing up to the lanes/back to the pit.

I would avoid anything through the axle. You don't want to "steer" the bike with the tow vehicle or limit its turn radius.

On long laydown frames you can drop a tube through the steering head that has a loop on the top and pull with that. usually you would put a flange on the tube to keep it from falling through the steering stem when not under load. That may be too close to the rider on a stock framed street bike. I haven't looked at my Busa in that regard so that may be silly to mention.

In the old days there was a team in Prostock that hooked to the fork brace. They had a giant block made up that dropped over the fork brace with an eyebolt sticking out the front. They pulled from that. They towed to the scales, stopped and pulled the tow rope off and weighed in and then returned to the pits. Later it was discovered they were leaving the massive piece of steel in the forks when weighing in. No one noticed they were running under weight and used the tow block to "make weight". LOL

If you do use anything
to pull a motorcycle
you will have a

life lesson .

It will be painful and expensive .

When moving a motorcycle
you always push it never pull it .

It is much easier for poop to go wrong
when pulling than pushing a bike .

Everytime I hear about people pulling a bike
the bike gets wrecked and the rider get injured .

My buddy had a customer that did this
and was hospitalized for a week

due to pulling a bike .

I’ve pulled dirtbikes with a tiedown. Used a broken tiedown with NO HOOK. One wrap around the left footpeg and put your foot on it. If things go wrong just lift your foot and you’re free. Right foot is still free for rear brake. Just make sure when you’re pulling from left peg that you stay slightly right of quad and be extra aware of right turns so strap doesn’t wrap around front of bike. Might not be what you’re looking for since this was an emergency towing and not an everyday event but thought I’d throw it out there.
Not a tiedown, but basically the same thing. I always carry a 10' section of tubular nylon webbing (Orange naturally!) In my kit on the bike. Never know what your going to need it for but an emergency tow rope certainly is in the cards. And at >4000 tensile it's plenty strong.

When I was a youngster I had to help a friend get his 83 GS750E into Bonner's ferry Idaho late one night. Out of gas with ten miles to go... We started off with my foot on the tail of his bike trying to push him. Didn't work so well. Then resorted to grabbing his (useless) throttle hand and gassing it up to about 80 and slingshotting him ahead roller derby style. Took us awhile but we made it. A tow rope would have been pure gold at that moment.

Back