touring 'Busa/hard luggage Q?

06dream

Registered
hey there,

i've been looking into getting a hard luggage system for my 'busa. i really like the sw-motech quick-lock brackets that can mate up to the givi racks, but i have one concern. i have the solo cowl, not the passenger seat. does anyone know if the sw-motech bracket will still work? will there be some trimming to the cowl?? will it not work at all and i should be looking for a passenger seat??

thanks for your input!!

thanks for those links, but nothing really answers my Q's...

Sorry bud, you can always just use google and see what you get. I have seen some really nice hard bags for the 'Busa. I personally have RK's that I use if I am taking a change of clothes & stuff.

DSC_0045.jpg

Contact Twisted Throttle and ask them about the bracket fitment with seat vs. cowl. From your name I guess you have an '06. I'm waiting for my brackets and bags to arrive for my Gen II.

Their web page is TwistedThrottle.com

Here is a pic from their web page of a Gen II with brackets. It looks like it may work with the cowl but it is hard to tell. Also attached a Gen I pic (not my bike but it is a beauty) with a cowl but I'm not sure what brackets this guy has. Best to contact them. Hope this helps.

SW_MotechGenII.jpg

1.JPG

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. i have been in contact with twisted throttle, I'll be ordering from them basically the same set-up as that white bike you've pictured, but no top case. my concern was that the reveal/gap between the body/rear fairing is too tight to fit the metal bracket between, but when looking through the installation instructions, it shows spacers to put between the frame and locking mechanism for the seat/cowl. this will raise it enough to clear the bracket. Thanks.

Last edited:
Get some corbin beetle bags. Problem solved...
Posted via Mobile Device

They are nice but:

- expensive,
- not quick detach,
- door opening makes bags harder to load vs. suitcase style,
- capacity is ~ 23 liters compared to 40+ for Givi.

Corbins are nice for those who want something more integrated and permanent, but some want larger, temporary, quick detach bags for only when we travel.

They are nice but:

Corbins are nice for those who want something more integrated and permanent, but some want larger, temporary, quick detach bags for only when we travel.

I only install my Corbins once a year for long trips. Takes about 5 minutes to install or remove. They are held on by 3 bolts each. The opening is a little small but they're lockable and water proof.

Get some corbin beetle bags. Problem solved...
Posted via Mobile Device

looked at them, i have some opinions about them... way too small, no quick detach, i find them somewhat ugly (no offense), and for the price of them i could outfit 2 bikes with a givi setup.

Something you need to consider if you haven't already... The side bags will not fit if you have an after market exhaust system without modify the brackets!

wm_normal_eureka-2009_081.jpg

Something you need to consider if you haven't already... The side bags will not fit if you have an after market exhaust system without modify the brackets!

Can you be more specific? What modifications did you make and what exhaust do you have? Not all aftermarket exhaust are fitted or located in the same way. Thanks.

I have an '08 Busa with the Motech mounts and Givi luggage- I don't believe that you will have a problem with the racing cowl, but you do have to mess with most aftermarket exhaust systems to get them to fit. I have a Two Brothers full 4 into 1 exhaust, and my builder just fabbed a small tab that enabled him to mount the exhaust a bit lower than intended. The aluminum tab that was fabbed is visible in the pics. Any true high-mount system might be a no-go, and low mounts (like Brocks and Voodoo) are an easy fit. I'm very happy with the Givi luggage and how the bike handles when loaded down- I just got back from a 2K mile trip.

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

I have an '08 Busa with the Motech mounts and Givi luggage- I don't believe that you will have a problem with the racing cowl, but you do have to mess with most aftermarket exhaust systems to get them to fit. I have a Two Brothers full 4 into 1 exhaust, and my builder just fabbed a small tab that enabled him to mount the exhaust a bit lower than intended. The aluminum tab that was fabbed is visible in the pics. Any true high-mount system might be a no-go, and low mounts (like Brocks and Voodoo) are an easy fit. I'm very happy with the Givi luggage and how the bike handles when loaded down- I just got back from a 2K mile trip.

Nice rig! Looks like you have the contour brackets and the PLX cases which places the bags tighter to the bike. I went with the EVO brackets which sets the bags off further from the bike and exhaust. The bags for the EVO brackets don't mold back to the bike at all.

Contact Twisted Throttle and ask them about the bracket fitment with seat vs. cowl. From your name I guess you have an '06. I'm waiting for my brackets and bags to arrive for my Gen II.

Their web page is TwistedThrottle.com

Here is a pic from their web page of a Gen II with brackets. It looks like it may work with the cowl but it is hard to tell. Also attached a Gen I pic (not my bike but it is a beauty) with a cowl but I'm not sure what brackets this guy has. Best to contact them. Hope this helps.

can I see a close up of the mounting of side luggages? It seems so simple...but maybe unsafe...or not...???

Hey guys, a little update on my luggage situation. I ordered the hard luggage set-up from twisted throttle. SW-Motech racks with Givi e360 bags. The only complaint I had was that the bags were touching the STOCK exhaust until I modified the exhaust hanger to let the pipes hang lower. I'll try to insert some pics here, and later I'll try to get some more pics of just the brackets/mounting tabs.

I went on a 4k mile trip through BC and the bike/bags worked awesome. i didn't test it past 200km/h, but it was very stable getting there... :whistle:

can I see a close up of the mounting of side luggages? It seems so simple...but maybe unsafe...or not...???

They are very secure. I made an 8,000 mile trip this summer with the SW-Motech brackets, 2 E360 side cases, and the E52 top case. I also wired in the Admore lighting to the side cases so I had turn signal, brake, and running lights on the side bags. I was on roads from smooth to rough and never worried about the bags. Tested into triple digits as well. I carried about 25 lbs in each bag. I was very impressed with this system. I would like for the lids to open about an inch further so they would stay up better when loading and unloading. Also wish they would stand a bit better when setting them down like luggage. I highly recommend this set-up.

I ran across a few people who own the Concours 14 and they said they wish they had seen a set-up like mine before they bought a full time sport tourer.

Here is a pic from the Badlands of South Dakota.

Hayabusa_Badlands01.jpg

I carried about 25 lbs in each bag. I would like for the lids to open about an inch further so they would stay up better when loading and unloading. Also wish they would stand a bit better when setting them down like luggage.

Thats about the same thing I found. Had to put a book under the front edge to get them to keep open while loading them. I carried 22lbs in each, and one stretch of the ride had about 10 miles of rough road construction, but they performed flawlessly.

Sweet bike, I was trying to figure out what the 2nd gen would look like with the E360's... :)

Back