Tough way to treat a vet.

You have to be a citizen to be in our military, surprised this person wasn't?

He must have pledged an oath to defend his country though.

Last edited:
What do the vets think about this? Fight for your country and then punted out of it.

He did not get forced to join the military I assume. So therefore it was his own choice.
Also becoming a criminal was his choice.

Iam a permanent resident in canada and the first thing they tell you at the border when you pick up your PR card is - You have all the "rights" which a citizen has IE paying taxes etc etc... but if you screw up you will be deported. Thats what you sign up for. Therefore I don't see anything wrong with the decision made by the government in this article!

(In the US you can join the military as a PR. In canada only under special circumstances).

Last edited:
He did not get forced to join the military I assume. So therefore it was his own choice.

Iam a permanent resident in canada and the first thing they tell you at the border when you pick up your PR card is - You have all the "rights" what a citizen has IE paying taxes etc etc... but if you screw up you will be deported. Thats what you sign up for. Therefore I don't see anything wrong with the decision made by the government in this article!

(In the US you can join the military as a PR. In canada only under special circumstances).

Really?

This man wore the uniform of his country and deployed in harm's way not once but twice. As a result he was diagnosed with PTSD which untreated led him into a life of crime.

It may have been his choice to join the military but to join the Marines takes a special person-one who deserves to be treated with dignity and respect not punted out of the country he fought for.

He is now sent to a land which is anti US and extremely intolerant of US military.

As a vet myself, I see all kinds of wrong with what the US government did

I do think anyone with his military service without his last name and birthplace would be treated better. At the least they would be allowed to carry out the prison sentence.

I hope there is more to this that we don't know about. His attorney is his advocate of course. But I wonder how much we don't know.

Really?

This man wore the uniform of his country and deployed in harm's way not once but twice. As a result he was diagnosed with PTSD which untreated led him into a life of crime.

It may have been his choice to join the military but to join the Marines takes a special person-one who deserves to be treated with dignity and respect not punted out of the country he fought for.

He is now sent to a land which is anti US and extremely intolerant of US military.

As a vet myself, I see all kinds of wrong with what the US government did
We do not have to agree on everything:-)

He knew the rules and he did not play by them.
Sure he served his country but he knew before that his actions will have consequences.

(BTW:I did not serve the military- therefore I dont have the same emotional connection like you do and I respect your honest opinion!)

We do not have to agree on everything:-)

He knew the rules and he did not play by them.
Sure he served his country but he knew before that his actions will have consequences.

Of course we don't have to agree, that's the great thing about it.

I read this former Marine went to the US as a toddler so he may not have been totally aware of the situation- was it explained to him when he joined the Marines?

Did they really worry about it when he deployed to Iraq twice and came under fire probably countless times...probably not!

If I were a member of the U.S. Marine Association, I'd be lobbying to get this former soldier back and get him help and not be thrown away like a disposable Bic lighter.

Where's all the other vets? Feel free to jump into the fray..it might get to be a hot DZ.

Last edited:
Look at it this way: Let's say he kills someone? Then they would say he shouldn't have been in the country. Tough call here. Neither side is totally right.

He probably killed someone for his country in Iraq and his country threw him away when they should have been fixing him. He went to the US as a toddler, the US was the only country he knew.

He probably killed someone for his country in Iraq and his country threw him away when they should have been fixing him. He went to the US as a toddler, the US was the only country he knew.
I get that and I sympathize with him. But the ninth court is not a right wing court. They denied 2 appeals. There is more to this than the simple apparent facts. I bet they grabbed him like that because he was dangerous. Sad situation but I really don't know what to think, not enough info. I know the there is something we don't know here.

I get that and I sympathize with him. But the ninth court is not a right wing court. They denied 2 appeals. There is more to this than the simple apparent facts. I bet they grabbed him like that because he was dangerous. Sad situation but I really don't know what to think, not enough info. I know the there is something we don't know here.

Of course he's dangerous, he's a former Marine with PTSD.

I still don't agree with the government decision to deport him.

Not quite as simple as making a choice, cut and dried. Also, gaining citizenship and being a permanent resident are two different things. Joining a volunteer military (as the U.S. is) should automatically put a person at the front of the line for citizenship.
As Tom and Arch have said, there's probably more too it that we don't know.

I have ptsd as do a lot of others. Crime is a choice. We cannot blanket his actions due to an illness. If we choose to accept that then it will lead to a whole list of bad things accepted. Help he should receive for his services and I thank him for them. As a grown man he should have known right from wrong. He should also have know whether or not he was a is citizen. Service to our country does not make a citizen. I would think services should make gaining it easier. Again however, choosing not to pursue that is a choice as was his crimes. As for the US military and how vets are treated, we may be here a while

I have ptsd as do a lot of others. Crime is a choice. We cannot blanket his actions due to an illness. If we choose to accept that then it will lead to a whole list of bad things accepted. Help he should receive for his services and I thank him for them. As a grown man he should have known right from wrong. He should also have know whether or not he was a is citizen. Service to our country does not make a citizen. I would think services should make gaining it easier. Again however, choosing not to pursue that is a choice as was his crimes. As for the US military and how vets are treated, we may be here a while
Well yes and no. PTSD can be a wide range of things. I have had to witness some pretty genuinely terrified people that had it.

It can cause them to act in ways that are criminal. Not saying it's right at all. But we have some pretty screwed up guys that have seen a lot of horrible things for what can amount to an entire 17 year military career. We as a country are coming up way short in the way we treat these damaged people.

A woman subjected to sexual abuse can become self destructive to herself and her children. Whom should be held responsible for this. Her or the man/men that perpetrated it?

With respect due to the personal nature of your response, crime is not always a choice in the same way for everyone. For example, if a person is given opioids by a Dr and takes them as prescribed, it can result in addiction. What happens when the Dr doesn't renew the prescription? Some drugs can rob a person of the ability to discern right from wrong, they reduce an individual to nothing more than the means to satisfy the overwhelming need to get a fix. There are other means by which a person can have a greatly diminished capacity to make choices as well, this is just one example. In many instances, crime is far more complicated than just an individual choice.

Back