Touch-Up Paints

drewwerd13

Registered
I dropped the bike last year.  Not too much damage.  But enough that i would like to touch up a few spots.  I bought the right paints from Color-Rite but the little bottles come with a "finger nail polish" type of applicator.  So I figured an airbrush would be best.  I bought one but the paints are too thick for the airbrush.  I tried airbrush thinner, and other types of thinners.  Some worked good and others didn't.  I'm just wondering if anybody else out there has any good ideas for the best way to lay down a good coat of paint in small areas with these little bottles of paint.  Cuz I have been working on it for months.  Paint, clear coat, UGH!, sand, repeat...
I would like to just get it done so i can put all the plastic back on and have her pretty again.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#FFE3F5" valign="middle" align="left">Spoiler (Highlight to Read):
</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#000000" valign="middle" align="left">What is this for??[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem...mine fell over and got some minor scratches...not enough to warrant buying new panels...
It's a silver / grey '03....where can I get the paint?..are there codes to be found ?...
Thanks guys..

That's the same year and color scheme as mine. I just found a way to get the paint into the airbrush right and it worked GREAT!! The key is LAQUER THINNER!!
Anyways... I'll get the codes off the bottles I bought and reply tomorrow so you can get them. These paints are an EXACT match. You can spray them anywhere!

Just make sure you spray a lot further than the scratch to help blend it in. Also, how do you plan on clearing the area? It is going to be tough to get away with not clearing the whole stripe that is affected, meaning you will be able to see it.

I actually bought enough clear coat to cover the whole bike. This stuff is so awesome. It goes on thick and clear with no bubbles. And it really adds some shine to the bike. It will look shinier than it did when I bought it. I'm going to paint over the scratches, wet sand the whole thing, and clear coat the whole thing. It should look nice when I'm done.

It looks like color-rite has changed their color codes.  You can order it online or give them a call to order.  If you want to order it online, just go here (Color-Rite Online) and pick the year and model of your bike and they will show you all the color options.  For the '03 Silver/Gray you will want these 2 colors...
YD8-4915 Metalic Sonic Silver
YU8-4260 Metalic Flint Gray
These are the colors I have.  I also bought the clear coat.  But I don't like the way it works.  So I'm using the clear coat I bought at Walmart.  
smile.gif

If you want to just get their phone number and call them just go here (Color-Rite Contact).  This way they can help you find the right colors for your Hayabusa.  I hope this helps.  Have fun!  I would recommend getting the Aerosol cans of paint.  The little bottles come with a nail polish applicator thing that does a horrible job of laying on the paint.  And I've heard the pen isn't much better.  With the spray can, you can spray it on, blend it in, and then just get some clear coat to go on top.  Make sure you practice on some plastic you have at home before touching your busa with it.  I practiced with bondo, wet sanding, airbrush, clear coats and everything on an extra rear fairing I had sitting around.  It was worth it to make sure it would look right.  Have fun!!

Dude, I don't want to sound harsh, but you don't want any aerosol clears on your bike! That stuff is so thin(in order to come out of the can) that it does not give any build, let alone enough to wetsand and buff.

Not to mention that 99% of aerosol clears have NO resistance to chemicals such as gasoline, etc.

I would spend the $$ to take it to a shop and have it done professionally, before doing that.

Ludicrous... Do you think a professional body shop will be able to put a clear coat on top if I already have some aerosol clear on it?

If you let them know, they should be able to sand it off and re spray it. That is what I would do. You could attempt to shoot over it, but I would be afraid of some sort of reaction.

Those would be questions I would ask the shop.

Back