Totally wired

ChronosWS

Registered
Here are pics of the new wiring I did to ready the bike for my trip to the Southwest (I am posting this from Salem, OR actually.)

Electrical

Basically, I ran a power lead to a relay in back which then runs to a fuse block, where the AutoComm, radar detector power and 12v socket are connected with their own fuses. The relay is triggered off the brown power wire going to the rear signals. This line is only powered when the key is on (engine need not be running) so that fuse block is only powered then.

I also ran the radar detector audio cable and an auxiliary 1/8in audio headset plug from the front of the bike to the rear. The plug allows me to hook up any random audio source, like an iPod or an XM radio system. The 12v power point, connected to the right handlebar, provides power to any of these or anything else that uses a 12v plug. Incidentally, this bike has the 3/4" GenMar riser installed.

I've used the AutoComm for a full day now, hooked up to a Kenwood Freetalk XL. I gotta say, it makes for a pretty nice two-way communications system. It's nice and clear once you get it set up. The cool thing is that you can listen to music, and when you talk or someone is talking to you, it quiets the music. The voice activation level is also adjustable so you can set it for how loud your helmet is. The sound quality out of the helmet speakers is alright, nothing to write home about. I have two problems with it though. One is that it does currently pick up some electrical noise from the ignition system. Noticeable when I'm not wearing earplugs. The other problem is the earplugs themselves. The ones I have are VERY effective, and they tend to mute the music, cutting out a lot of detail. I really need to find some 20db plugs.

If you ever decide to wire up your bike, I think this is the way to go. The two-way is really neat if you like to take trips and want to stay in communication. However, like a cellphone, talking is distracting. I wouldn't recommend carrying on a conversation while weaving through traffic. XM is kind of cool too, except that mounting it on the tank probably isn't quite sufficient, especially if you tend to get down behind the windscreen and block a lot of reception. I am thinking the antenna should be mounted on one of the mirror stalks.

Ok, time for a neck massage...

Back