torque for rear axle nut?

In other words, tight!

Grown a little and then some more! LOL:whistle:

Make sure you don't make it too tight... I stretched my threads with the impact and the nut wouldn't come off when I went to change my tire. Had to cut the nut and buy a new axle...I was pissed.

Make sure you don't make it too tight... I stretched my threads with the impact and the nut wouldn't come off when I went to change my tire. Had to cut the nut and buy a new axle...I was pissed.

That's why you use a torque wrench. :whistle::whistle::poke::poke:

Anybody know where to get a castle nut for the rear axle?

PM GoldenChild has piles of this stuff in his shop

I looked everywhere for one a couple years ago...couldn't match one up at the local hardware shops on the local bike shops~!~

Everything I looked at, even off other bikes they said would not fit...hhmmm

I guarantee they are out there, at least now...just got to know what fits~!~

I ended up just drilling through both nut and axle and wire tying it all

That's why you use a torque wrench.

Axle nut sockets are expensive and you do want to use a genuine axle nut socket made of hardened steel. A regular socket could split under that kind of torque.

If you have Advance Auto by you, just go in and ask if they loan out their metric axle nut set. Mine will do that for a $40 returnable deposit. Bring it back, you get your 40 bucks back. Check to make sure the axle nut set has the right sized socket for the busa. (it has the right size for the ZX-14) While you are there, You can pick up a clicker torque wrench for about $20. Go for a torque wrench that goes to 150'lbs max torque reading. That way, 75'lbs is right in the middle and it should be about perfect for your axle torque. It will under-torque any nuts that need to be closer to 100 or 150 'lbs. It will over-torque nuts under 75 'lbs so don't use it for those. For those light torques, I use a flex arm torque wrench with a scale that goes from 0 - 50'lbs. I picked it up at Sears. You don't want a do it all torque wrench unless you are going to spend a lot of money on a proffessional grade wrench. Cheap ones are only accurate at the middle range but that is the way to go if you are just doing your own wrenching on one or two bikes.

Last edited:
Axle nut sockets are expensive and you do want to use a genuine axle nut socket made of hardened steel. A regular socket could split under that kind of torque.

I don't think a standard 36mm half inch drive socket would split at 72.5 Lb ft. The one I bought at Cycle gear works just fine. Didn't cost that much.

Last edited:
I scribble cheats on my workbench with a Sharpie

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Back