Tornado out Michelle's way...

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
Many of you have heard of the deadly tornadoes that moved through the South yesterday...

Last night Michelle called me and let me know that Deltaville, VA - the town she grew up in - was hit by a tornado... And the path literally took it right next door to her Dad's house, the house she grew up in!

Everyone is OK - Thank God that it missed her Dad's house...and the rest of her family; she has aunts and uncles that all live right next door to one another...they are all fine.

Michelle's Dad just got home from the hospital yesterday afternoon and now this. LOL Power is out to the entire area - the damage is incredible. Landmarks, buildings, etc....all that Michelle grew up seeing are now just a pile of rubble. Tornadoes are not common out there, so they don't have warning sirens. Also, being right next to the water, houses don't have basements.

Another neighboring town, Gloucester, was hit hard, too. The path of the tornado destroyed part of the middle school and there have been 3 confirmed fatalities in Gloucester.

The State Police is restricting access to the area to only residents, but Michelle was allowed down since she was with her Dad... Here are some of the pics...

This is (was) historic Zoar Baptist Church...it is right on the corner of her Dad's road. Notice the steeple in the foreground

2011-04-17_13-09-28_366.jpg

Here is the side view

2011-04-17_13-13-48_867.jpg

This is the Community Center - right across the street from Zoar, notice the roof is gone.

2011-04-17_12-48-42_746.jpg

This is looking from her Dad's house...the building standing is the Community Center (Zoar is off-camera to the right). The light-blue stripe is the pool. The 'yellow' wall is what's left of of the pool building...it was cinder-block construction and just shredded.

2011-04-17_12-43-35_307.jpg

This is looking at her Grandmother's house...all the damage to the trees. The metal in the trees is the roof from the Community Center! Her Dad's house is off-camera to the right.

2011-04-17_10-41-04_532.jpg

This is the only damage to her Dad's...a downed tree limb. Incredible.

2011-04-17_10-42-53_131.jpg

Having lived in Tornado Alley for practically my entire life, I'm used to seeing how a tornado will pick apart one house, but leave another...but the power of Mother Nature is still humbling. I'm used to seeing the damage, but it really hits home when it's someone you love. I'm so thankful that Michelle, her Dad and all her family are OK. I pray for those who have lost everything and loved ones.

2011-04-17_13-09-28_366.jpg

2011-04-17_13-13-48_867.jpg

2011-04-17_12-48-42_746.jpg

2011-04-17_12-43-35_307.jpg

2011-04-17_10-41-04_532.jpg

2011-04-17_10-42-53_131.jpg

Glad you and your's are all ok. This could be a very bad year for tornados.

Glad to hear all of her family is safe. That's near where mrsBW grew up. One of her friends posted this up on FB. Her family is OK.

Glad to hear all of her family is safe. That's near where mrsBW grew up. One of her friends posted this up on FB. Her family is OK.

Yep, not far at all. Wow - that's a huge cell!

I'm glad all Trish's family and friends are OK.

I'm in shock. We finally got Dad's generator going, so he can have some basics.

I've walked through town, taking pictures and fighting back tears. I can't believe how fortunate this area is, no injuries that we've heard. Some families lost their entire homes, but weren't in them thank goodness.

Via DROID X

man, mother nature is a crazy thing, glad to hear everyone is ok. send some rain to south texas please...

So glad you and your family is ok!! We drove through PA last night and it was NOT fun. Checked in on my mom this a.m and she said the storm was headed for her area but stayed south. She can't wait to move!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Michelle.. i am sorry but glad you are and your loved ones are ok...I can't imagine what it would be like to have this happen....just awful i'm sure. Be strong Honey and hug's too

Wow, I have a WHOLE NEW appreciation for those of you who live in tornado alley!! I've NEVER seen anything like this. We are not prepared here for things like tornados, and it's been complete chaos here. I have watched our emergency crews work 24/7 though, and have great respect for all they've done, going door to door to check on every single person here, including my Dad when I couldn't get in to his town to make sure he was OK. The power crews worked all day yesterday to get new power poles up and some power was restored. I'm just so thankful no one was seriously injured in my area, though there were 3 fatalities in the county I work in :down: All area schools are closed today and the clean up efforts are underway. Life does go on, but I hope we don't experience this again anytime soon.

Back