Torn between Zumo 550 & Nuvi 660

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
Man I don't know what to do, I am considering 1 of the 2 Gps Devices.  Both have ad/disadvantages which makes decision really hard.  Just a few features which one has and the other does not.

Zumo
Waterproof/Vibration proof
Motorcycle Mount
Large easy buttons for use with big gloves

Nuvi
Widescreen/bigger display/fully touchscreen
Better OS/more responsive/feature packed
Smaller size to slip into pocket when not in use
Bult in speaker

For similar prices, around 750$ for each, it really is hard to choose a device.  I don't trust leaving GPS on the bike during parking in public.  So removal will always be in need.  Has someone else made this hard decision?

pt-nuvi660lf-lg.jpg

REVIEW

pt-zumolf-lg.jpg

pt-zumorf-lg.jpg

FEATURES

I bought the Tom Tom Rider off of Ebay for around $634.00. It works very well and comes with three mounting options.

hmm I am thinking of going with the Nuvi. I here the Nuvi runs circles around all the other gps units, as its the Rolls Royce of gps. Its thinner, and I will just fine a way to water proof it, such as ziplock or something. I wil still be reviewing both until the purchase comes.

I bought the Zumo. Liked the idea of XM radio, Bluetooth, and traffice alerts. The car mount has a built in speaker and the motorcycle mount has an earplug jack. Also, it is an MP3 player so you can listen to music while you ride. You can also talk on your cell phone through it with the Bluetooth enabled. And it is small enough that I slip it into my jacket pocket when I park the bike. If I was only going to use it in the car, I would have bought the Nuvi. Plus, you can hook it up to your computer and map out custom routes. Plus, remember that you are going to be using it in direct sunlight. Big factor being able to see the thing and you can certainly see the Zumo! The screen brightness changes with the ambient light conditions. I didn't know it did that until I started using it. Great feature!

Not trying to diss TomTom but, they just announced that they have units out there with some kind of virus in them.

Google the Zumo. You will find tons of reviews out there on it. It was the reviews that convinced me!

I have the Nuvi 350 and like the unit, thought I just got it late this fall on a close out and have only used it in the truck.  As soon as it gets warm I'll look into wiring it up for the bikes, as that's my primary interest.  So far I've got nothing bad to say, not sure the voice prompts will be loud enough on the open road, but we'll see.  The Zumo has peaked my interest as it's waterproof, but I'm truely not sure how much of an issue that is going to be, I don't ride in the rain, and the unit won't be left on the bike in the open when not in use..........sooooooooo.

My only other exerience is with Magellan products and I've recently seen where they've released a thin pocket size unit but I think I'd stick with Garmin in the end.  The only thing I see with the Nuvi is when you are actually in a destination mode, the unit does not display the current speed, something I very much like when it's just in Map mode.  Behind the scenes with the push of a button it shows your aveage speed, top speed, time of travel, distance, and stuff.  I have no need for all the currency converters and travel thingys the thing comes with, but they are there and you have no choice but to pay for them.

I think either way your making a GREAT choice.

I have the Magellan Roadmate 2000 it is water proof and it is a map based gps unit, no other toys just what I wanted, If I wanted to talk on the phone I would use my phone? If I wanted to listen to XM or mp3 I would use my XM 2 go. This unit has a built in speaker that you cant hear on a bike as well as headphone jack. In the picture it is the unit on the right!

DSC00019.JPG

I read many reviews for both units. The NUVI can be read in direct sunlight as well, very well as I read. But I dont think it changes auto light the ZUMO.

I would like to see how the Zumo will be mounted to these sportbike type bars. Speed in Map mode is a plus, I agree, but by any chance does it show TOP SPEED as well? Maybe I will get the Zumo because I definately do drive in the rain, and lately it rains alot lol. This decision is still tough because they are both balanced so well. Well, I think I am leaning more toward the Zumo since its made for the harsh conditions of motorcycle. But who knows, I will change my mind a million times between the two lol.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

The Nuvi does show top speed on a seperate screen. You'll need to reset it for every trip, but all GPS may be that way. As I stated when just in map mode the GPS DOES display current speed, but when you have it set for a destination, those areas are converted to directional information.

I wish the current speed was on the screen for all features.

I have a tom tom and a Nuvi. I like bot of them. The nuvi is skinny and would fit on th bike better than the Tom Tom does. Never tried Zumo

Dont chose overmount. Either Tom tom or Nuvi can b adapted to fit on a bike. I made a quic mount5fot my tom Tom in minutes. used a l bracetand the rest was stock stuff that came with Tom Tom. bolted bracket on Brake mastr cylinder. I put second bracket under 1st to keep unit fom sliping out of position. The Nuvi I have for my car would be easy to make a braket for also.

I like the top speed and current speed screen on Nuvi, Tom Tom does not have that feature. The current speed on Tom Tom is really small

This is the unit we use in the big truck, car and will also be setting it up for both the scooters..
super.gif

Magellan RoadMate 2200T - North America

The first Small, Powerful and Expandable vehicle navigation system that can easily be upgraded to add outdoor and traffic capabilities. Helpful features include simple touch-screen menus, turn-by-turn voice guidance with SayWhere™, waterproof to IPX-4…
Featured Highlights

* Outdoor and Traffic upgradeable
* Pocket-sized, lightweight and waterproof to IPX-4
* 8 hour battery life
* mp3 player
* photo manager

Price: $ 449.99
Buy Now Find a D

Back