Torn ACL

I tore mine about 11 years ago, but don't remember exactly how long I was off the bike. I also had bad meniscus tear's, so I was 6 weeks, non weight bearing. A lot depends on how bad it is and the type of repair. I had a patella graft, which takes longer to recover from than using the hamstring, but will hold up better. You do start pt immediately after the surgery, to get you recovering as soon as possible. I had to bend my leg into a 90 degree angle, before I could leave the hospital. And yes, it's a very painful experience! If you can push the surgery back to winter, then you won't have to worry about.

I think Omslaw did

Yep! I tore my ACL, MCL, tore meniscus and fractured my tibia on Mother's Day 2008 while playing soccer. I could NOT have surgery to reconstruct the ACL until my MCL healed on its own. My MCL took forever to heal. In late July, the doc finally went in and repaired the torn meniscus and manually manipulated my knee to regain mobility. Less than 24 hours later, I was back in Physical Therapy working on regaining strength.

On 09 December 2008, I had surgery to reconstruct my ACL. I opted for the hamstring graft. I was in Phyical Therapy the very next day following the surgery and have been going 2-3 times a week since as well as working out at home on the off-days. My therapist has said that I'm well ahead of where I should be at this point... I still have about 6 weeks of formal PT left (it's about a 4 month formal PT regimen, and it continues after the formal PT ends).

On 07 February 2009, just shy of 2 months since my surgery, I went out for a ride with GSXcite; it was the first time since the surgery that I had ridden. I still don't have all my strength back but I'm getting stronger each week... If the weather would cooperate in KC; I would be riding more now...

I hope this helps give you some insight. It's not a quick recovery; the docs and therapists will tell you that it takes a long time to recover from an ACL reconstruction. From the beginning, I told them that I have a goal; and that is to be riding by the Spring Bash! I'm doing everything I can to make sure that I'll be there, having a good time with everyone. I take advantage of every opportunity to "PT" my knee. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions!

--Omar

I did my ACL and my miniscus. I have to go see the surgeon on Monday 3/2 and I am scared as hell. I really cant be out of work that long. If I am to be laid up that long I dont know what I would do with myself. My wife says that me being home for 6 months straight would definately equal divorce!:whistle:

I took one day off work for the surgery; I was in PT the next day; back at work, too. Doc wanted me bending the knee ASAP so it would not stiffen up. I had to wear a knee immobilizer for about a week after the surgery and was on crutches, but I was at work... The only time that I have missed from work has been for PT, and I am able to either schedule the PT for before/after work or come in early/stay late and make up my time.

I am in medicine and general census is 6-8 weeks of taking it very easy...just rehab. After 8 weeks, you start to gain some strength back. I would think you would be back riding in 10-12 weeks. All depends on the person. Dont push it too quick. Rehab is the way to go.

I had a torn menicus and ACL replacement...had my leg locked for a week and after that went right back to work and walking (not advised by the doctor) but have made a full recovery since...not sure what kind of work you do but I could not afford to miss work either and with my leg locked straight I was unable to drive for the first week. Alot of it is gonna depend on you...how quick your body recovers, pain tolerance and your over all flexability...I wrenched my leg all the way in my first PT session...scared the hell outta my therapist and did not tickle by anymeans but was determined to get back in action as quick as possible...again I am not recomending you follow any of this advice...just sharing my experience...I too walked around with the injury for a three months before having the surgery...so I was down during the winter and couldnt ride anyway....not sure how long it would've taken to get back on the bike...your biggest problem I would think would be keeping you leg bent in the riding position for any long period of time....good luck with everything and here is to a speedy recovery :beerchug:

about 12 weeks for me after surgery on the acl. no meniscus issues.. (could ride before that but was not the most comfortable feeling)

Thanks for all of info and kind wishes. My job is kind of physical so I would have to be cleared medically before I can return. At least you guys have given me some hope. I thought I would be down alot longer.

Back