Tore my undertail off 3 times yesterday

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Oh yeah, 3 times!
First time was on my way to work, doin about 80mph, hit a huge rough section off highway, bottomed out, the plate got into the tire, which tore the plate off and took the undertail with it. The plate wrapped itself around the front of the swingarm, and the undertail was riding on the tire, held in place by the wiring harness. I didn't take pics of that, the side of the interstate wasn't very comfy to say the least.
I tucked it all back in to get to work, borrowed some zip ties and limped home that evening.
I remounted the plate further back and bent further upwards, and put 4 new push pins and 2 zip ties to hold it up. looked good to me...
I went to pick up a lady friend, and go for a ride. About 10 miles into that ride, my buddy points to my tail, I pull over and sure enough, broke more and riding on the tire.
So, more zip ties, bent the plate flat and went on our way...
Few hours later, we stop and yep, there it is again, right on he tire.
I know, you thinkin Duh, you kept bottoming out, which yes I did, but I was to stubborn to stop riding that night.
New plane, raise the rear, cut the undertail so only the plate and lights are there, and ride on!
I'll get my HD spring put on next week and end all this nonsense.
Some pics of the carnage...

He Pashnit, how about a super deal on a new hotbodies, I promise I won't destroy this,one. :lol:

Droid via Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1307133601998.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1307133652691.jpg

Wow... Sorry about the most unfortunate luck. Time for a newer fancy undertail I think! :thumbsup:. I hated my hotbodies...

I'm think maybe go back to a stock tail light with integrated signals and run a tiger tail, I think everything else will rub riding 2 up, or hitting pot holes on the highway. :lol:

Droid via Tapatalk

I'm think maybe go back to a stock tail light with integrated signals and run a tiger tail, I think everything else will rub riding 2 up, or hitting pot holes on the highway. :lol:

Droid via Tapatalk

Oh the price you pay for a stretch :laugh:.
Reminds why I wont do it :laugh:
There are some real nice stock integrated tail lights though... Is the company that bought clear alternatives start continuing their products I wonder?

Told ya it needed a new home, i rub my tail havent tore it up to bad yet, definately gotta get ahold of atc and get the hd spring coming before the wife gets on:laugh:

Oh the price you pay for a stretch :laugh:.
Reminds why I wont do it :laugh:
There are some real nice stock integrated tail lights though... Is the company that bought clear alternatives start continuing their products I wonder?

Hmm... if anyone knows of a good stock integrated light, please post up. I'll do some research this weekend too.

BigBad- its even worse since I have the spring sittin on the shelf, was just to lazy to get it put on :banghead:

Droid via Tapatalk

Damn frog with all the bottoming out I'm afraid to see the size of these females you're ridin around. I seen the size of you and you're not bottoming out on you own :rofl:
j/k man, sux about your undertail. Hope u find a cheap and quick fix bro. Your bike's lookin good too man. I'm diggin those wheels :thumbsup:

Rockethed using Tapatalk

That sucks man.. I had something similar happen to me on one of my other bikes on a cross country trip.. abotu 1000mi into it I bottomed out and ripped the wiring harness out of the rear rights which then wrapped itself around the wheel hub.. not a fun time...

Damn frog with all the bottoming out I'm afraid to see the size of these females you're ridin around. I seen the size of you and you're not bottoming out on you own :rofl:
j/k man, sux about your undertail. Hope u find a cheap and quick fix bro. Your bike's lookin good too man. I'm diggin those wheels :thumbsup:

Rockethed using Tapatalk

:rofl:
She's 108lbs, I'm just that good at breakin stuff. :laugh:

Droid via Tapatalk

That sucks man.. I had something similar happen to me on one of my other bikes on a cross country trip.. abotu 1000mi into it I bottomed out and ripped the wiring harness out of the rear rights which then wrapped itself around the wheel hub.. not a fun time...

Ouch, I was surprised it didn't hurt any wiring, very lucky in that respect.

Droid via Tapatalk

Yes, but how about the weight of all the saved turtles she was carrying :poke:

Never thought of that, the bag was pretty full :lol:

Ogre- I'm sittin lookin at the bike now without the undertail, I chopped it down to tail lights only. I'm really thinkin the tiger tail would be the ticket.

Droid via Tapatalk

move the plate to some type of swingarm bracket setup :dunno:

Id like too, aftermarket arm makes it tricky. Gonna have to do some searching and see what I come up with, suggestions are more than welcome. Passenger peg maybe?

Droid via Tapatalk

Back