Top Gear US is rubbish

newman said:
Never seen the US version, but just watched the new series of the Brit version.
Jeremy Clarkson is always in trouble over here for being politically incorrect.

He said a little while ago Bankers should be shot in front of there wifes and kids. That caused a lot of trouble.

Had the Mexican government complain, about something.

He does weekly column in a newspaper over here, it's so funny.

I always wonder just how well his comments actually went over, no more wondering. :laugh:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

I love the UK version, I tried to watch the US edition and hated it. The hosts are what killed it for me, I've never liked Foust and the other 2 are equally as douchy. If they would get some better cats hosting, I'd give it another shot.

COULD have been much better, with better people behind the scenes and good hosts. One version of Top Gear tried to get Jay Leno. He, Tanner, and some other car guy would have made a great show. But Leno saw it for what it really was...

Jay Leno turns down NBC's 'Top Gear' offer, fears network will 'ruin' it - Reality TV World

He sure isnt one of the better lookin folks on the television but Leno is a smart cookie. His remarks are pretty spot on and I'm happy he turned it down :thumbsup:

I watch both. Some times the US version is funny. You won't see the UK version testing trucks. The last US truck on Top Gear UK was a Ford F150 and Jeremy called rubbish and cheep. also it was too big to fit on UK streets.

I do agree US tv is not original. The few good shows we get are killed after the first season or just half way through. It kills me The SIFI (SYFY) show "Being Human" they list it as a SIFI original. The UK "Being Human" is in it's 3 season. WTF.

I watch both. Some times the US version is funny. You won't see the UK version testing trucks. The last US truck on Top Gear UK was a Ford F150 and Jeremy called rubbish and cheep. also it was too big to fit on UK streets.

I do agree US tv is not original. The few good shows we get are killed after the first season or just half way through. It kills me The SIFI (SYFY) show "Being Human" they list it as a SIFI original. The UK "Being Human" is in it's 3 season. WTF.

Ive noticed some of there shows would just plain die over here. I cant see that Dr. Who magic phone booth show goin for, or the campy dinosaur one.:laugh:

I've watched a few episodes of the US version. I see decent cars being destroyed in the name of "attempted" humor. Or cars with 300,000 miles being performance tested and then made fun of.
Maybe I should give it more of a chance and watch a few more episodes. So far my impression is that it's a show designed for the 20 to 30 year old demographic who have had their brains damaged from the Ritalin craze a few years ago. :banghead:

I wonder if an intelligent version would survive in the US? Yes it fun seeing a 70s Caddilac or station-wagon being performance tested or running a challenge, but instead of buying a duct taped $400 example running on 6 out of 8 cylinders, how about something in pristine shape running as it did back in the day? It would be cool seeing weird stuff like a Vega vs. Pinto or a C3 Vette against a V8 Mustang II on real tracks and roads. Not a 72 Caddilac vs. an 84 Fiero on an off road Jeep proving ground.

He thinks everything he doesn't like is rubbish. On another note have you ever been to the UK? The roads are tiny....

There are quite a few UK shows that have been "americanized", most of them lose a lot in translation. American Idol and The Office are a couple of examples

He thinks everything he doesn't like is rubbish. On another note have you ever been to the UK? The roads are tiny....

There are quite a few UK shows that have been "americanized", most of them lose a lot in translation. American Idol and The Office are a couple of examples

Which is why I used the term Rubbish in the thread title:laugh:

i watch it cause i am easily amused i guess. Its funny to a certain extent. though i dont care for the hosts either

He thinks everything he doesn't like is rubbish. On another note have you ever been to the UK? The roads are tiny....]

Nope never been to the UK, I would like to go some time. Yes I realize the roads are tiny. It is funny to listen to him talk about motorcycles. Especially the Vietnam trip, Classic.

Dr Who magic phone booth.???

It's a time machine, and the shows are very good.

Not to be too geeky but it is a Police Box, and a T.A.R.D.I.S. (Time And Relative Dimension In Space)
Yes you are absolutely right it is a great show, David Tennat is by far the best of the new DR's.

I love the BBC version, but can not stand to watch the US version.. totally unorigional and just not even close to being funny.. plus the editing sucks to say it politely. It's all over the place... total FAIL.

US version is three imbeciles or half wits.

UK has so much whit. I also like Kitchen Nightmares. Gordon Ramsay must get a dollar for ever curse word.

I made it through about 5 mins of the Yank version of the office...barf.....not after you have seen the Brit version. How do you not get Brit humour? Doesn't the little guy....whatshizname, ride a bike? He had a really bad motorcycle accident a while bike,very serious. In Bike magazine Clarkson derided bikers,I thought it was all very funny.

Best episode....racing the motorhomes around the track,watching them disintegrate.....total awesomness!

Oh and when they went down to the Depp South.....

Hammonds got a Busa and a likely a garage full of other bike. Clarkson hates them with every fiber of his being. :lol:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Back