Top Gear - Ariel Atom

Greg, I watched it but couldn't turn my volume up (at work) Looks cool as hell though. Especially watching his face flapping around.

lurk.gif
Does anyone think a liter bike would have prevailed. Anyway, nice toy.
beerchug.gif

(monster @ Jan. 17 2007,16:40) Greg, I watched it but couldn't turn my volume up (at work) Looks cool as hell though. Especially watching his face flapping around.
I was thinking that had to hurt.

(dadofthree @ Jan. 17 2007,15:13)
lurk.gif
Does anyone think a liter bike would have prevailed. Anyway, nice toy.
beerchug.gif
Yes it has already. Seen a few other tests in mags with tracks and times this car was on and remembered in other bike mags where literbikes set comparible and faster lap times then the atom (lil over a second really). It's a car show so it's no doubt what's gonna "win".

Lil test from fast bikes and EVO magazine few years back with a car from radical (which has been shown to actually be faster then the ariel) against a stock K3 gixxer and a tuned crescent gixxer. This is from the Car mag's (Evo) point of view and while they whine a street legal racebike (mind you on street rubber still) beat their favored radical...they didn't mention the rider was holding back (as fastbikes did).

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/media/fastfeud/index.php

Beauty here is the said bikes have gotten faster twice over now since this test. The said cars just got bigger price tags.
laugh.gif

(heavybusa @ Jan. 17 2007,13:09)
(dadofthree @ Jan. 17 2007,18:13)
lurk.gif
Does anyone think a liter bike would have prevailed.
Good question  
rock.gif
and i'm gonna say...

ABSOFUGGINLUTELY!

check it out gents...if you bought this vehicles hyp'ed up sales pitch?..you've just been victimized by shrewd marketeering...as follows...

Point #1. the sportbike rider was so un-skilled he completely botched the launch yet....in less than 20 yards north of the starting line this 600 came from behind and smoked the atom.

Point #2. The atom only passed the sportbike rider due to lack of skill on the sportbike riders part...he braked way hard and early...then got his line chopped as the atom driver took the lead and this scared the shid outta the questionably skilled sportbike rider and then?..

Point #3. to prove out point #2?...watch the video again....and take notice of the riders knee heigth going through the curves...after the atom passed him...his knee is a freaking full foot off the tarmac...he ain't even trying...cause he doesn't wanna get back in front of that 4 wheeled lunatic that almost killed him in turn #1.
laugh.gif

They even state that the atom's 0-60 accel time is 2.9 seconds...while the "STOCK" Oklahoma State Patrol Busa w/ Beetle Bags does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds.

I race an atom...provided the driver promised NOT to attempt passing me on the inside and chop'in my fugg'in line....he11....i'd of held back after that move as well!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

(JINKSTER @ Jan. 17 2007,17:26)
Point #1. the sportbike rider was so un-skilled he completely botched the launch yet....in less than 20 yards north of the starting line this 600 came from behind and smoked the atom.

Point #2. The atom only passed the sportbike rider due to lack of skill on the sportbike riders part...he braked way hard and early...then got his line chopped as the atom driver took the lead and this scared the shid outta the questionably skilled sportbike rider

I race an atom...provided the driver promised NOT to attempt passing me on the inside and chop'in my fugg'in line....he11....i'd of held back after that move as well!
laugh.gif
Like you said the rider sucked on launch and his first curve (maybe it was richard hammond or james mayfeild on the bike?). Get a decent rider on there and a good launch will give enough ground to not even consider the car in the first curve...or any of them.

Nobody else seems to find it funny that Jeremy "I hate bikes" clarkson decided to use a 600 instead of a updated Yamaha R1? Maybe it's because he wouldn't get the same results like his Last Biased car vs. bike test with him in a porsche 911 that barely stayed ahead of a '98 R1 on cold tires? Fastbikes answered that with a lil test of their own too with pro drivers in the cars and showed what happens in the real world.
laugh.gif

Big Deal. Police radio's tell which is faster between sports car and sportbike in all situations anyways. Hard to argue They're a much better benchmark then biased sacked faced car lovers.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

First,

Top gear is a show that promotes nothing but opinions of experienced journalist .

They talked smack about bugatti veyron (1.9 million dollar car) , murcielago and the likes.
They expose the good and the ugly of every vehicle.

Second,

A car 4 axle vehicle is much faster then any bike any day around a track,

Check out times for FORMula one compared to MOTOGP arount tracks like

Losail, jerez, cataluyna  Imola.

schummacher is a lot faster the let say rossi or hayden.

Check out a more experienced rider couldnt  keep up with similar car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2980339455045998925&q=gsxr

that would be fun as hell to drive but i'd be scared as hell to get that thing out on the interstate......no one would ever be looking for a car sitting that low to the ground and it wouldnt be long before you got sideswiped.....however on a sidenote, i'd love to get out there and pass under an 18wheeler's trailor or two
firedevil.gif
a little stupid maybe, buy way cool.

(hionbusa @ Jan. 17 2007,22:26) First,

Top gear is a show that promotes nothing but opinions of experienced journalist .

They talked smack about bugatti veyron (1.9 million dollar car) , murcielago and the likes.
They expose the good and the ugly of every vehicle.

Second,

A car 4 axle vehicle is much faster then any bike any day around a track,

Check out times for FORMula one compared to MOTOGP arount tracks like

Losail, jerez, cataluyna Imola.

schummacher is a lot faster the let say rossi or hayden.

Soo,
Jink . the busa aint doing it here .
I think the 600rr was probably the fastest bike to do the job .

Check out a more experienced rider couldnt keep up with similar car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2980339455045998925&q=gsxr

Yawn. Seen that video, and at the end even the journalist's bicker that things may have been different if the rider was allowed to adjust his suspension however they left it as is (translation: they didn't want the bike to win against what even THEY AGREE isn't even a road car but a track day toy). Impressive the bike on street tires stayed that close to what is pretty much a race car. Tune the bike a bit and see what happens (i see they didn't invite a crescent gixxer along for this round).
poke.gif

In terms of F1 or lemans type cars with wings on them here and there yes they're faster then motogp bikes. Some tracks the GP bikes are closer. However any lesser grade of race car shows the bikes to be equal or faster. As for street cars, it's no contest against todays bikes. Road & track recently put a 580AWHP skyline on hoosier slicks and a pro driver at the wheel against chandler's tuned zx-10 on dunlop stickies and a Street stock 636 on street tires. The 10 won by 5 seconds and the 636 won by a full second. This is a car mag as well so no bias for the bikes. Recent as it was both the 10 and 600 ninja have been upgraded into faster designs. There's no keeping up with bikes that update faster then personal computers (think that westfield can stay ahead of the new GSXR 1000?).
cool.gif

Besides the one with the radical there's been plenty other tests and they all show two wheels are faster or equal to the best cars you can find on the street with pro's at the wheel. Most of the tests being against STOCK bikes on street tires against Purebred exotic or tuned cars that cost more then a neighborhood of suburban homes. Like the radical and road & track test show, start tuning the bike and you better bring a F1 car to win.
biggrin.gif

Mu buddy owns one of those. His is the 3rd one that was produced for the US Market. He has the 230hp version. I have ridden in it and is a blast. The US version is left hand drive.

Don

Back