Top Fuel Dragster Fuel Pump Demo single cylinder

Sandow

Registered
1st at idle, then full throttle... remember this is for only 1 cylinder, they have 8

Some interesting facts about Top Fuel Drag Racing!:

-One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500. They have over half again as much horsepower in one cylinder as a Dodge Viper has in all ten. No one has ever successfully run one long enough on a dyno to get a horsepower reading. Current estimates are right around 6,000 horsepower.

-Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

-A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger. The fuel pump alone requires more horsepower to turn than the average street car produces.

-With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

-The 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane produces a flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

-Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, disassociated from atmospheric water vapour by the searing exhaust gases.

-Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

-Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After the run, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by running the car out of fuel. There is no way to cut off the fuel; the engine stops only when it blows or the tank runs dry.

-If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

-In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's. To put this in perspective; a top fuel dragster, parked next to a Super Hornet on the steam catapult on the deck of an aircraft carrier, would be in the water and sinking before the Super Hornet was halfway down the deck.

-Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

-Top Fuel Engines only turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

-Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load. They only survive about 80% of the time.

-Redline at 9500 rpm.

-Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

-The engine is entirely rebuilt every run, or every 900 revolutions. New pistons and rings, new rods, new rod bearings. Sometimes a new crank. The crew does this in about two hours between rounds.

-The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile. The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run.

-Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

1st at idle, then full throttle... remember this is for only 1 cylinder, they have 8

-One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500. They have over half again as much horsepower in one cylinder as a Dodge Viper has in all ten. No one has ever successfully run one long enough on a dyno to get a horsepower reading. Current estimates are right around 6,000 horsepower.

-Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

-A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger. The fuel pump alone requires more horsepower to turn than the average street car produces.

-With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

-The 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane produces a flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

-Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, disassociated from atmospheric water vapour by the searing exhaust gases.

-Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

-Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After the run, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by running the car out of fuel. There is no way to cut off the fuel; the engine stops only when it blows or the tank runs dry.

-If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

-In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's. To put this in perspective; a top fuel dragster, parked next to a Super Hornet on the steam catapult on the deck of an aircraft carrier, would be in the water and sinking before the Super Hornet was halfway down the deck.

-Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

-Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load. They only survive about 80% of the time.

-Redline at 9500 rpm.

-Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

-The engine is entirely rebuilt every run, or every 900 revolutions. New pistons and rings, new rods, new rod bearings. Sometimes a new crank. The crew does this in about two hours between rounds.

-The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile. The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run.

-Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.
Love this write up and video. I've seen both before, but they never get old.
If you're a gear head and you've never experienced NHRA fuel card in person, make it happen. It's a mind-bending spectacle.

This is the guy I bought my Caddy from. Loves speed! He even put a bigger super charger on his Ford GT!

Maybe a better vid here, better sound.

The backend of that car just crumbled! Wonder if they ever figured out what exactly caused it.

-Redline at 9500 rpm.

That was an awesome read! Wish I could “like it” more than once.!

The backend of that car just crumbled! Wonder if they ever figured out what exactly caused it.

Eddie said his wing failed and still under power, over 300 mph the forces caused the frame to bind and collapse in front of him. Watching it was really scary. Ercie, his wife went to the hospital with him and before the finals, returned (with him)! He had a back up car but hadn’t qualified with it so he couldn’t run in competition. His Pennzoil dragster is mounted on the wall inside his ‘Fun Cycles’ dealership in Wichita Falls TX. Here’s a Buck knife he gave me and some pics of his garage at home. He was an Ariel

Atom dealer too.

Good post. I have seen 2 shuttle launches from across the lagoon at the Cape. A top fuel cars roaring off the line is actually more violent and pretty dam amazing. My first time watching it a buddy said cover your ears. Being a man I didn't and it was partly the noise but the entire area around the track goes negative as the cars suck so much air and your ears pop like you have never felt them pop.

I still don't see how a human can survive these kinds of forces. Just amazing.

Eddie Hill certainly a legend.... Good stuff, this thread has me smelling sweet ole race fuel, funny but my youngest daughter always wanted to tag along and follow me around at the track, race fumes is still her favorite smell to this day lol.
Lots of fast girls out there bro on 2 and 4 wheels.
My youngest daughter has been going to the dragstrip literally since before she was born. She's definitely a gearhead, she loves the speed and noise. She has yet to express interest in her own car, but I'd say it's not long off. She's gonna be 10 in March.

That STS Cadillac behind the Ford GT looks just like mine... same color and similar wheels off a CTS V with Brembo brakes underneath... not sure how Eddies is optioned... but I am sure whatever he has it really nice like everything else he has.

Top fuel cars (and bikes) are just incomprehensible to most. If you have ever had the opportunity to stand behind one at the start line it is absolutely awe inspiring to watch! The tire growth, the sound, the weaving down the track is just incredible. Quite a few years ago I ran into Joe Amato in the Seatac airport as he and I were on the same flight to Pittsburgh, nicest celebrity you could ever hope to meet. Not long after that he retired, if I recall, due to detached retina(s) from all the deceleration forces these things pull popping the chute!

One of the strangest effects of being close to a top fuel car when it goes by is having your vision blurred by the pressure waves every time a power pulse is exiting those headers. Its been known to make a half full plastic soda bottle foam up from the vibrational energy. One time I looked down for whatever the reason and noticed the little bit of sand on the ground was moving from the sound.

These cars are awesome for sure... I always push the fuel pump button whenever I go to the NHRA Museum in Pomona.

John Force must have the strongest retinas in the business. How many times has John popped the chutes?

The bravest of all has to be the Nitro Harley riders... Flac jackets to prevent possible injuries if the motor blows? I just don't get it... lol ! well, actually, I do... a nitro launched head bolt could be a serious problem.

Nice platinum silver Caddy for sure...
My STS has the 3.6 with AWD... I really like the magnetic ride shocks up front. Doesn't have the power of your V, but gets down the road ok.

It does run good but despite the puffer on top and 32 valves, it’s the smallest V8 I’ve ever had @ 256 ci. They reduced its size from 4.4 liters to 4.2 to ‘accommodate’ the supercharger.

My buddy Don the gear head bought a 2007 XLR and turned into a fun ride by swapping in a built supercharged Northstar estimated to produce about 525 hp. Sorting out all the wiring connections was the biggest challenge... I told him those 235s out back will fade away rather fast.

Don is who I bought the STS from... and, like me he also has a 90 ZR-1.

How do I get a PMP certification? WhatsApp:+447448353773
international project management certification
Buy real PMP certificates Without Exams Europe
Purchase real PMP certificates Without Exams middle east
Get PMP certificates Without Exams America
Buy real PMP certificates Without Exams Mount Barker
How to get real PMP certificates Without Exam USA Buy / Get PMI, IELTS, PMP, CELPIP, UGC, NET, CSIR NET & IIT JAM, Nclex , CHST, (ISC)², CISSP, SSCP, CCSP, CAP, CSSLP, HCISPP, CISSP-ISSAP, CISSP-ISSEP, CISSP-ISSMP and CBK, CRISC, CISM, PMP, CEH, CSM Certificates Within 48 Hours in Beijing +1(956)410-3554 - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In (People's Republic of), Colombia - Buy IELTS, CHST Certificates Without Exams In Australia - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In France - Buy PMP, CHST Certificate Without Exams In Canada - Buy CISSP Certificate Without Exams In Europe - Buy CHST, CISSP Certificate Without Exams In Jordan - Buy CISSP, CHST, UGC NET, CSIR NET & IIT JAM Certificate Online - Buy original PMP Certificate without Exam in Europe (generaldc01@gmail.com- Buy CISM Certificate Online - Buy Original CISSP, CRISC, CISM, PMP, CEH, CSM Certificates Without Exams - Buy Original CISM Without Exams - Where can I Buy CISM Certificate Online - Buy CEH Certificate Without Exams In Saudi Arabia - Buy CEH Certificate Without Exams In Jordan - Buy CEH, CHST Certificates Online - Buy MCSE, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, MTA, MCSD without exams - Buy Original CEH Certificate Without Exams - Buy Original ICEH Certificate Without Exams - Where to Buy Verified CEH Certificate - Buy CSM Certificate Without Exams In Jordan - Buy CSM Certificate Without Exams In Jordan - Buy CSM, CHST Certificate In Europe - Buy Original CSM Certificate Without Exams - Buy Original CSM Certificate Without Exams - Buy Verified CSM Certificate - Buy CISM, CHST Certificate Without Exams In Malaysia - Buy CSM Certificate Without Exams In USA - Buy IELTS Certificate In United Kingdom - Buy Original CEH Certificate Without Exam - Buy Original CSM Certificate Without Exams - Buy Verified CRISC Certificate in Australia - Buy Original BCSP Certification Without Exams - Buy Registered BCSP Certificate without exams - Buy Verified BCSP Certification exam Online - Get BCSP certification Without exam - Buy Valid BCSP certificate Without Exams - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Germany (generaldc01@gmail.com)Buy CELPIP Certificate Without Exams In UK - Buy Original CHST Certification Without Exams - Buy Registered CHST Certificate without exams - Buy Verified CHST Certification exam Online - Get CHST certification Without exam - Buy Valid CHST certificate Without Exams - Buy IELTS Without Exams In Greece - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams In U.K - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Hong Kong - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams In India - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In India - Buy CELPIP, CHST Certificate Without Exams In UAE - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Iran - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams In Saudi Arabia - Buy IELTS, CHST Certificate Without Exams In Islamic Republic of, Iraq - Buy CELPIP Certificate Without Exams In India - Buy CHST BCSP, IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Italy - Buy PMP, CHST Certificate Without Exams In Ukraine - Buy CHST, CELPIP, CHST, BCSP Certificate Without Exams - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams In Mexico - Buy IELTS, CHST Certificate Without Exams In UAE - Buy CELPIP Certificate Without Exams In China - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams in Turkey - Buy CELPIP Certificate Without Exams in Turkey - Buy CELPIP Certificate Without Exams In Japan - Buy CHST, IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Poland - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams In Jordan - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In China - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams In Oman - Buy CHST, IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Asia - Buy CELPIP Certificate Without Exams In Oman - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Europe - Buy PMP Certificate Without Exams In USA - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Dubai - Buy PMP, CHST Certificates Without Exams In Italy - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In London - Buy CELPIP, CHST Certificates Without Exams In Germany - Buy IELTS Certificate Without Exams In Toronto - Buy PMP, CHST Certificate Without Exams In Brazil - buy a original dele certificate online - Buy genuine dele certificate without exams - registered dele certificate (generaldc01@gmail.com)

Back