Top 3 Busa Head Porters

yes, raised ports are very big in porting (or used to be) Olds/Pontiac/Chev found this many years ago and now the heads are just built this way to start with... It is a case of diminishing returns all the same.. The basic port and pocket work yields the best bang per buck when combined with a "good" valve job..

All the same by the time you drop a few grand on head work, you could have had a turbo that makes more power, uses less specialty parts and if ridden reasonably will far far far outlast a "pure" motor build of equal power..

Head work is not a low buck item no matter how you do it..

Port Tech's Max TQ porting is only $650, and adding an intake cam to the exhaust side shouldn't be to costly?

But being hit over the head constantly about Turbos is finally starting to sink in :banghead:. My main concern with a turbo is having boost all the time which would kill my gas mileage when I'm just touring around. But I'll be the first to admit I know almost nothing about Turbos and maybe there's a way to still get good gas milage while still having the boost when I need it?

You can get that kinda tq number out of a stock head, stock motor bike. Good pipe and map. Do you race?

Not really as I suck at launches for drag racing but wouldn't mind checking out doing some LSR up here at Loring. It must be a blast to go that fast and not have to worry about going to jail!! I really like raw roll-on power for street riding.

Port Tech's Max TQ porting is only $650, and adding an intake cam to the exhaust side shouldn't be to costly?

But being hit over the head constantly about Turbos is finally starting to sink in :banghead:. My main concern with a turbo is having boost all the time which would kill my gas mileage when I'm just touring around. But I'll be the first to admit I know almost nothing about Turbos and maybe there's a way to still get good gas milage while still having the boost when I need it?

Porting only works as part of a "combination" is the problem.. basic port/pocket work nets some gains but you have to know the rest of the combo (correct cams/timing, pipes etc) to get the best bang.. This is where an "experienced" builder is most crucial.. the rookie guy will cost you a "head" or worse yet an entire motor when the thing comes apart... most unhappy situation for all involved and not uncommon.. I would bet that basic port work, cams, labor and tuning set you back an easy $1500-$2500 depending on 'upgrades'.

The turbo only makes power only when you demand it.. it is bone stock until the request is made for 200+ ponies..

HP no matter how it is made requires fuel so that is not even an issue.. I would venture "ridden" normally, the turbo bike will make better mileage than a "built" N/A bike..

If going turbo, you can fast forward to 225-250hp pretty trouble free... (again pick a shop that has done more than a couple "demo" bikes)

you can install the turbo yourself with some basic mechanical ability but the tuning is best left to an "experienced" pro...

Last edited:
Porting only works as part of a "combination" is the problem.. basic port/pocket work nets some gains but you have to know the rest of the combo (correct cams/timing, pipes etc) to get the best bang.. This is where an "experienced" builder is most crucial.. the rookie guy will cost you a "head" or worse yet an entire motor when the thing comes apart... most unhappy situation for all involved and not uncommon.. I would bet that basic port work, cams, labor and tuning set you back an easy $1500-$2500 depending on 'upgrades'.

The turbo only makes power only when you demand it.. it is bone stock until the request is made for 200+ ponies..

HP no matter how it is made requires fuel so that is not even an issue.. I would venture "ridden" normally, the turbo bike will make better mileage than a "built" N/A bike..

If going turbo, you can fast forward to 225-250hp pretty trouble free... (again pick a shop that has done more than a couple "demo" bikes)

you can install the turbo yourself with some basic mechanical ability but the tuning is best left to an "experienced" pro...

Very true....gas mileage on a stage 1 turbo bike can be awesome....you lose the weight of full exhaust, oil cooler, airbox and all that crap....it pretty much gets replaced with the turbo stuff though. You can have the bike tuned partial throttle for great gas mileage. A built motor bike will drink more gas and you will wear out the valvetrain with serious street riding. Dont let any fool convince you that you will make more than 220Hp even with a 1441 on pump gas. You can make more but track only. If I wasn't ever going to use the up top power of a turbo and just wanted an awesome stop light to stop light bike and killer bike for the turns then a mild 1441 or 1397 is great but turbo rules if you like to get out on the open roads

Thanks for the info on Turbos. I assume RCC is the way to go? It's a little out of my price range but definitely has me interested. Will a Turbo bike with dump pipes pass inspection or will I have to take it off every Spring to get a new sticker?

Any great Turbo tuners up here in Maine or New England?

Thanks for the info on Turbos. I assume RCC is the way to go? It's a little out of my price range but definitely has me interested. Will a Turbo bike with dump pipes pass inspection or will I have to take it off every Spring to get a new sticker?

Any great Turbo tuners up here in Maine or New England?

You should call Richard at RCC. All your questions could be answered in 20min instead of pondering for the next 2 years. Stage 1 turbo makes way way way more power than anything else for the money...to get that power out of N/A motor it would cost you twice as much. Put a full exhaust on the turbo kit....sound cool, looks like a sleeper and doesn't lose enough HP to notice

You should call Richard at RCC. All your questions could be answered in 20min instead of pondering for the next 2 years. Stage 1 turbo makes way way way more power than anything else for the money...to get that power out of N/A motor it would cost you twice as much. Put a full exhaust on the turbo kit....sound cool, looks like a sleeper and doesn't lose enough HP to notice

Yes, calling Richard is the next step. I've exchanged a couple of emails with him for some basic info and questions I had. Ever since I saw the RCC Stage I Gen II Busa Dyno chart Richard sent me I've been sold on Turbos. Would still like to ride one but that's not going to happen. I am still a little concerned about throttle response from 3-5K but Richard said it would be the same as stock so that's good enough for me.

I love the look of the dump pipes!!! And it would be less expensive if I didn't have to buy the full exhaust. But it does make sense to get the Turbo this Summer and then get the full exhaust next year when I'll need a new sticker. Then remove the full exhaust until the following year, etc., etc..

Mr. Bogus

Mr. Bogus,

Sorry I've been such an ass towards you. MY BAD, and I apoligize! :beerchug: Alakso

I also really appreciate your expertise and help with my various threads and posts. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Back