Tools for the do it yourself rider

Brianejay

Registered
I've got a "05" busa and wonder what kind of tools I should purchase as a bare minimum so I can do my own maintanence.

Do I really need a Torque Wrench? (seperate question)

yes you need a torque wrench, not a terribly expensive one if your not into major motor work like cams, head bolts etc.
get a rear stand and while your at it a front will do to.
basic socket set will do for most jobs, if you are a drag racer you'll be needing the tool to hold the clutch in place_damn if i can remember the exact name- or you could just spin it off with a impact gun.
muscle.gif
oh yeah very important.. buy the service manual, best tool you can buy!!

metric tools needed.... just in case you didnt know...
wink.gif

No thread jack intended...

But on the topic of the torque wrench, Haynes gives a huge wide variety of torque settings...almost makin someone have to invest in more than one torque'r....any sugg's? I plan on doin most of all repairs/mods/maintenance myself

Chemist

I've got a "05" busa and wonder what kind of tools I should purchase as a bare minimum so I can do my own maintanence.  

Do I really need a Torque Wrench? (seperate question)
Go out and spend the money on a good set of T allen head wrenches, they will save you time and keep your bike looking good!

Best item I bought hands down.

yeah like harbor freight i picked up a whole set of t handles for like 5 bucks i figured you know what if they last me a yeah it will be worth it.

Torque wrenches at home depot are resonable in price. Husky tools not bad stuff.

Had great luck with the snap on digital torque wrenches.I have the 3/8" and 1/2",they are a little expensive but wort it for the quality in my opinion.The 1/2" does most everything but the 3/8" is nice for the smaller fasteners.

Get an impact screwdriver so you don't destroy a tight screw when you have to remove it. Just a few bucks and worthit just in the time you save by not having to curse!

Back