Took rims to dealership to get tires removed

Lyrikz

Registered
UPDATED ON THE BOTTOM PAGE

Ok, so im gettin my rims chromed on my 2004 hayabusa.  I call the dealership and tell them that i need my tires and bearings removed.  I come in, drop them off, and before i leave i ask a few questioins about their tire remover machine and if when iget the rims chromed if they are going to have any scratches. THe guy assures me that it will be fine. So i leave my rims and show up the next day to pick them up, naked and ready to be shipped for chrome.. But, i notice my rims are all fuggin JACKED up.. the machine ate a 3-4 inch section of paint off the rim and in a few other places there are lighter scratches...So, since a post aint poop without pics here ya go..

And here is the nick in the front rim.. Front rim was ok.. Rear was fugged.

SO, i showed the guy the damage and asked him what would of happened if i wasnt gettin them chromed and i was just gettin the tires switched.. They would owe me a new rim wouldnt they?? This is the same dealership that i bought the bike from to.. I just want to make sure that the chromers arent going to have any probs chromin my rims with that damage...

Let me know.

<!--EDIT|Lyrikz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078700287 -->

You should be fine as the damage appears to be merely cosmetic.........
Normally this would result in an imediate all out assault on the mechanic who did this to my beloved Busa. But, in your case I think you'll be fine. They have to remove the finish prior to chroming your wheels anyway. Word of caution you might want to find someone else to install you new shiney wheels......

Seeing your not hitting them up for a new rim, how about a coupon for some store or shop credit.

Rims should still be fine for chroming as long as the marks don't dig into the aluminum, if they do dig in a bit they are still fixable, but what a pain.....the shop should pay for the repair before chroming if they need repair.
And find a different shop to remount them......last thing ya need is fresh chrome peeled off.

I had the same problem.
dealer I bought my bike from, had them put on a new rear tire. My wife trailered it there, and brought it back...
when she got home, I noticed huge gouges in the rim. I immediately called the general manager of that store, and they got me a new rim. AND I kept the old one.

good luck!

If you get a new rim from them, let me know. I'll buy the damaged one. I need one really bad right now!

oya....LyRikz who ever you go to , ask to see the machine in operation B4 slammin' yer wheels on there. Make sure some 17 yearold punk isnt runnin' the thing . Tell them to use RIM-Savers....if its that type of unit .

hope you get thru yer lil' scrape . RSD.

Ya I am going to have to deal with that in a little while when I get my rims back from the chromers. I am going to tell them before they mount them that I am not going to accept the rims back if there is any type of damage to them.

Same thing happened to me, but not as bad. When I complained, the owner offered to take the wheel off a Busa on the show room, and I told him I was going to have my rims polished anyway, and he told me to bring him the bill, and he would pay half. Well, I ended up doing my own rims, and made my own bill for $200.00 and took it to the dealer, and the owner handed me a $100.00 bill!
biggrin.gif
But I will find someone else to mount my tires.

If you get a new rim from them, let me know. I'll buy the damaged one. I need one really bad right now!
some years of gixxers fit as well dont they Cache ?

96-99...1000's I think....any others , I could check my local salvage for ya .

RSD.
if you dont mind, that would be great!

doesnt have to look good, I can refinish it. I JUST lost a godam ebay auction on a rear wheel, cuz I was outside replacing the front-end on my bike......   GRRRRRRRRR
mad.gif

lemme know R.

<!--EDIT|cache
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078699560 -->

no sweat CacheW.....am I right on the yrs etc...?

I'll post up here, or you can call me....

hav a good 1........RSD.

no sweat CacheW.....am I right on the yrs etc...?

I'll post up here, or you can call me....

hav a good 1........RSD.
Ok, so i take the bearings and the spacers that go in the middle of the rims out of the bags... I notice 2 of the bearings are destroyed, i figured they would be. the other two are good.. Well, i examine the spacers and here is what i find... Im fuckin pissed. The front spacer is ok.. not to badly dinged, but here is the rear one.. When i mean spacer its that tube that goes in the middle of the wheel..
Here.

Those gouges are deep they stick out like 1mm... Now the axle sits in that spacer.. IM just GUESSIN here but im assuming i need a new one... THis pisses me off, i paid 95 bucks to have my bearings removed, tires removed and all reassembled PLUS the bearing cost.. I took it to a dealership so i wouldnt worry about it gettin fucked up... THis really pisses me off.... ANy suggestions??

fuggin ebay down....

RSD, you know what they look like, I think its 96+ on even the gsxr750's, and tl's. they look just like the busa wheel, I think 6" wide

if the dealership is responsible for the damages, you know what to do. If anything, see if yo ucan take it to a machine sho so that they even out that shid in there.

if the dealership is responsible for the damages, you know what to do. If anything, see if yo ucan take it to a machine sho so that they even out that shid in there.
Well, when i picked up the rims, i told the service manager about it. He kinda shrugged it off since i was gettin em chromed.. So should i just take the spacer in and tell him to order me up another on his bill? Just kinda bullshit ya know.. I didnt pay the 95 bucks yet, i may just get them to get me another spacer, and bring the rims somewhere else to get them put together and let them suck nuts on the 95 bucks...

To be chromed or not they should have to repair everything they screwed up.

To be chromed or not they should have to repair everything they screwed up.
Well, im going to just go in tomorrow, get the spacer ordered up... Thats about it.. If i get ANY poop about the spacer im just goin straight to the owner... Oh, and im not takin the rims back to them.. forget that. im taking them to a different dealership.

yep...have them pay for ALL of the damages they did to your wheels. No way would I let them get away with that. Have them pay to get that shid taken care of...on top of fixin yer wheels.

Back