Took my first trip to Deals Gap

justin726

Registered
Just thought I'd share with a few of ya a few pics from my trip to The Dragon this past weekend.  It was my first time to Deals Gap, or even that part of the country.

I left Juniata, Ne about 4AM Thursday morning and rode about 820 miles to my buddy's house in Guthrie, Kentucky.  I made it there a little after 6PM.  Weather was great until right before I got into Kentucky.  Then I ran into a little rain which turned into a downpour as soon as I hit Paducha, KY.  Stopped to let it ease up a little, but still rode for another 45 minutes in a steady rain until right before I got to my buddy's house.

My buddy rides a V-rod.  Him and I left his house the next morning and headed across Tennessee.  Weather was great that day and got into the Marysvill area around noon after about 4 1/2 hours of riding.  Stopped for a quick bite to eat then headed for The Dragon.

We made our way towards Deals Gap and made the standard stop at the overlook to snap a few pictures.  It was a great day with some great scenery.
DealsGapMay2007012.jpg

DealsGapMay2007001.jpg

DealsGapMay2007010.jpg

DealsGapMay2007008.jpg

We then proceeded up The Gap for my first time ever.  This thing is amazing.  To have a road that curvy and in that great of shape is amazing.  It was truly turn, after turn, after turn.  We finally made it to the top and hung out there for a while.
DealsGapMay2007017.jpg

DealsGapMay2007019.jpg

We headed down The Gap and then made our way across the Foothills Parkway on our way to check into our campground. The Foothills Parkway is a definite "must ride" if you're ever in the area. Some great views from on top of the parkway.
DealsGapMay2007106.jpg

DealsGapMay2007020.jpg

DealsGapMay2007112.jpg

The next day we rode into the Smoky Mountain National Park for a while. That is another awesome ride from Townsend to Gatlinburg. Stopped and took a few pics of the stream and a cool waterfall that was tucked back off the road a ways. This was truly some awesome scenery that I would love to I would love to explore a little more sometime if I ever make it back.
DealsGapMay2007072.jpg

DealsGapMay2007081.jpg

DealsGapMay2007061.jpg

We then headed back up to Deals Gap to meet some friends from another message board. We met up at about 1PM for a group picture.
DealsGapMay2007138.jpg

DealsGapMay2007156.jpg

Made another run down and up The Dragon, then headed up the road to Fontana Dam for a little while. There were some more decent roads and scenery there in North Carolina. Finally made it back through The Dragon and headed back to the campground for a cookout that evening. Did a little more riding between getting back to the campground and when the cookout started.

My buddy and I then headed for home the next morning.
DealsGapMay2007194.jpg

I hung out at his place for a little bit before heading on to Columbia, Mo to stay the night. I checked into a hotel, went to grab a bite to eat at Hooters, and then back to the hotel to crash for the night. By this time my body was definitely feeling the effects of being on the bike for 4 days straight.

Monday morning I left Columbia early and rode another 7 hours back home. In the 5 days I was gone I put on around 2500 miles. That was defiantly the longest trip I've ever attempted on the bike. But other than being a little sore in the knees on return part of the trip the entire excursion was amazing. A little bit of rain while I was headed down there, but after that it was almost perfect. This was a trip I'd defiantly do again, but maybe spend an extra day or two in the area to get a little more riding in. I know there's plenty of great roads and scenery that I missed.

You can sift through more pics here. These show a lot more of the great people that I had a chance to meet while I was there. http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...BNvDragon2007/

MY GOD THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST AMAZING VIEWS EVER !!!

Thank you so much for the pictures, almost feels like I was there !!

Man, you seem to have had a nice trip!!! Plus you have the best color! All in all, I'm glad you enjoyed the fruits of my state, the best state in the union!
beerchug.gif

Glad you all enjoyed the pics. I would love to see that area in the fall when all the trees have even more color to them. That would be amazing.

Glad you had a great time!

This was truly some awesome scenery that I would love to I would love to explore a little more sometime if I ever make it back. [/Quote]

Come and join us for the Spring Bash next April! Several of us from KC & St Louis will be heading that way next year!

(omslaw @ May 18 2007,06:30) Glad you had a great time!

This was truly some awesome scenery that I would love to I would love to explore a little more sometime if I ever make it back.

Come and join us for the Spring Bash next April!  Several of us from KC & St Louis will be heading that way next year![/Quote]
I'll have to keep an eye out for when in April that will be. Thanks.

The date hasn't been firmed up, but plan for the last weekend in April. We just had Busa Bash V, Apr 27 - 29... It was a blast!

Captain took a bunch of pics and posted them in the Gallery Linksta!

(justin726 @ May 18 2007,07:16) Glad you all enjoyed the pics. I would love to see that area in the fall when all the trees have even more color to them. That would be amazing.
And the wet leafs on the roadway make for interesting runs as well
laugh.gif

Man I enjoyed the pics in the thread and plan on catching the rest of them. Maybe you can make our spring bash in '08. That's a rear tire trip.
super.gif

Took my first trip a few weeks ago with a great group of homies and had a blast. I was surprised to find that most of the ride was in Tennessee; I'm a native of Hickory as well brother. ( smoke dawg )

(omslaw @ May 18 2007,09:30) Glad you had a great time!

This was truly some awesome scenery that I would love to I would love to explore a little more sometime if I ever make it back.

Come and join us for the Spring Bash next April! Several of us from KC & St Louis will be heading that way next year![/Quote]
Do what
laugh.gif

Nice pics! I cant wait to see it live, the little woman and I will be down there from the 20th to the 22nd. don't know if any one else will be there it would be cool to meet some org. members, look for the 04 blue and silver with the novice on it and the 06 orange triumph 675. could post contact info if any one is going.

Back