Took a lil ride today

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Breaking in the new Z. Got 47 mpg but was mostly cruising thru the mountains. Only got into triple digits twice. Took a couple roads I hadn’t been on before and one led me into Yosemite where I hadn’t planned on going. Sure enough it was COLD up there at almost 7,000’. Sandy roads were a caution but no black ice, just many wet and shady corners. I have to say this new Z is really nice. Shifts well, engine is smooth and when you want to, it really honks!:laugh: The only hitch is the throttle grab when going on/off in and out of corners. Apparently Kawasaki tuned this beast to shut the ‘butterflys’ completely when the throttle's off. This makes for some real engine braking and a kind of driveline snatch that’s annoying. A flash should take care of it. Do you like that road?:cool:

7FEF98AD-8CF5-4218-BAC2-9ED2003AF86E.jpeg

6DD781CB-C18E-454A-89FB-84FF2CE312A5.jpeg

B172608E-AF70-4E65-9A5F-AC280AB60CD5.jpeg

7127E249-1A91-4AD1-B2C5-09A5696D6AE8.jpeg

32BFC6F4-B1EA-4732-BCEC-833D4829390B.jpeg

8A248515-9BDB-4492-944B-CECAB36267D7.jpeg

9E5C5E63-9EFB-4939-8C57-530A8DAC297C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Breaking in the new Z. Got 47 mpg but was mostly cruising thru the mountains. Only got into triple digits twice. Took a couple roads I hadn’t been on before and one led me into Yosemite where I hadn’t planned on going. Sure enough it was COLD up there at almost 7,000’. Sandy roads were a caution but no black ice, just many wet and shady corners. I have to say this new Z is really nice. Shifts well, engine is smooth and when you want to, it really honks!:laugh: The only hitch is the throttle grab when going on/off in and out of corners. Apparently Kawasaki tuned this beast to shut the ‘butterflys’ completely when the throttle's off. This makes for some real engine braking and a kind of driveline snatch that’s annoying. A flash should take care of it. Do you like that road?:cool:View attachment 1590006
View attachment 1590007

View attachment 1590008

View attachment 1590009

View attachment 1590010

View attachment 1590011

View attachment 1590012
Beautiful riding country you have there...

Let me be the first to say... I hate you and never even liked you!
Okay I feel better now just because I'm stuck in Michigan two thousand miles from by Busa in 65 degree Fl isn't YOUR fault I guess. LOL
CBXer you thinking on the lines of keeping it stock or maybe a pipe later?

Breaking in the new Z. Got 47 mpg but was mostly cruising thru the mountains. Only got into triple digits twice. Took a couple roads I hadn’t been on before and one led me into Yosemite where I hadn’t planned on going. Sure enough it was COLD up there at almost 7,000’. Sandy roads were a caution but no black ice, just many wet and shady corners. I have to say this new Z is really nice. Shifts well, engine is smooth and when you want to, it really honks!:laugh: The only hitch is the throttle grab when going on/off in and out of corners. Apparently Kawasaki tuned this beast to shut the ‘butterflys’ completely when the throttle's off. This makes for some real engine braking and a kind of driveline snatch that’s annoying. A flash should take care of it. Do you like that road?:cool:View attachment 1590006
View attachment 1590007

View attachment 1590008

View attachment 1590009

View attachment 1590010

View attachment 1590011

View attachment 1590012
Those are amazing roads ohh man I am jealous and I love that exhaust!!

Beautiful riding country you have there...

You must have some great country up there too. I’ve ridden to the CA border north of Glacier NP in Montana and also at the Idaho border but never crossed. Love that NW corner of Montana and northern Idaho. Tree lined two lanes (everywhere)! I was planning a tour to Alaska thru BC above Washington one year but never went. Wish I had now.

Okay I feel better now just because I'm stuck in Michigan two thousand miles from by Busa in 65 degree Fl isn't YOUR fault I guess. LOL

Aw, the only times I’ve ever been 2,000 miles away from my Busa was when I took the 82 CBX on a tour!:laugh: You have my sympathies.:confused: I like the exhaust tone and the look on the Z. I’d prefer a twin pipe look but it really sounds off when you twist it. The intake growl is also very cool. That surprised me when I first rode it. Between that and the exhaust roar it really makes you want to gas it!:firing::laugh:

Wow, what an amazing place to be able to ride through whenever you go out.
I would love to tour the north west by bike one of these years.
And I really think that Kawasaki is the best bike that has come along in years.
I haven't even seen one in person yet, but the retro look ,with modern fuel injection and good suspension, that's a win for me.
I hope someone will eventually be able to flash their ecu's too, there has to have been something left on on the table.

This pic, is hiway 49 west of the Park. From my outlook I rode down and around ending up at the top right of the pic. You can barely see the road. Then, you continue to wind down and around to the roads in the center of the pic eventually getting to that bridge way down in the back ground. Approaching the bridge you’re (finally) able to hammer it and reach triple digits crossing the bridge. It’s short lived though as the curves and corners continue out of sight. Would love to show you the two lanes around here.:)
1AFE3F9D-1370-433F-8055-030B56B7EDAF.jpeg

This pic, is hiway 49 west of the Park. From my outlook I rode down and around ending up at the top right of the pic. You can barely see the road. Then, you continue to wind down and around to the roads in the center of the pic eventually getting to that bridge way down in the back ground. Approaching the bridge you’re (finally) able to hammer it and reach triple digits crossing the bridge. It’s short lived though as the curves and corners continue out of sight. Would love to show you the two lanes around here.:)View attachment 1590018

...and I would love to see and ride them.
Must be sportbike heavan...looks like a great place to get killed, lol

Yeah, a mistake here results in a smash into a mountain or zooming off the edge. Surprisingly, here’s the list of (all) the bikes I saw today, Honda NC700, a Harley bagger and a Harley trike which btw, cornered (very) well. No foolin! :laugh:

Wow, what an amazing place to be able to ride through whenever you go out.
I would love to tour the north west by bike one of these years.
And I really think that Kawasaki is the best bike that has come along in years.
I haven't even seen one in person yet, but the retro look ,with modern fuel injection and good suspension, that's a win for me.
I hope someone will eventually be able to flash their ecu's too, there has to have been something left on on the table.

Apparently a shop in Washington state does them. I read this from them on the only (really) Z900RS forum, in the U.K. looks like the cost is near $300. Does a flash really do all this?

“The fuel mapping is on the conservative side with our mapping. We have also lowered the fan engagement temp 10 degrees Fahrenheit to keep the coolant temps down.

Here is this complete list of modifications off our site:

Custom IAP Fuel Maps
Custom TPS Fuel Maps
Custom Ignition Timing Maps
Custom Ignition Dwell Maps
Adjust RPM Limiters
Adjust Fan Temperature
Disable Stock O2 Sensor
Disable Fuel Cut
Disable PAIR Valve

I would prefer to keep the stock exhaust, Pair, everything, and all I really care about is the twitchy throttle at lower revs. There is a direct fuel cut on decel for emissions apparently and that’s what’s causing the less than easy transition of on/off throttle inputs.

You must have some great country up there too. I’ve ridden to the CA border north of Glacier NP in Montana and also at the Idaho border but never crossed. Love that NW corner of Montana and northern Idaho. Tree lined two lanes (everywhere)! I was planning a tour to Alaska thru BC above Washington one year but never went. Wish I had now.
Nothing like that anywhere near where I ride....our roads are OK for scenery-but just OK.

This pic, is hiway 49 west of the Park. From my outlook I rode down and around ending up at the top right of the pic. You can barely see the road. Then, you continue to wind down and around to the roads in the center of the pic eventually getting to that bridge way down in the back ground. Approaching the bridge you’re (finally) able to hammer it and reach triple digits crossing the bridge. It’s short lived though as the curves and corners continue out of sight. Would love to show you the two lanes around here.:)View attachment 1590018
WOW is all I have to say!

At least your busa is in Florida keeping warm... Mines stuck in Michigan with me, but they say it's gonna hit 40 on Saturday so I'll probably get a short ride in.

Back