Too Much Oil Pressure/oil Leaking

812Supa

Registered
Ok I have a 09 Turbo Busa Running a Garrett 2871R. I have tried re-building it once already, but it didn't seem to help. Also purchased a new scavenge pump to make sure that wasn't the problem.

What keeps happening is I am leaking oil out of the intake side of the turbo. Everyone says due to too much oil pressure, and yes under throttle it is building up more than recommended on ball bearing turbos, but most of the time I am under those numbers.

Everyone says yeah pretty much common on all turbo bikes, but come on, all the years we have been doing this and no one has found a way to making it stop?

Anyone have any ideas, I am afraid to buy a new CHRA and have the same exact problem happen again.

Ok, that could work, as long as I can find one that will hold the PSI I am looking for. Thanks for that idea. If it holds at least I can get rid of the other restrictor fittings.

You need to make a jetting set up for the supply line. I made them before, with 1/4 twenty allen set screws, in the elbow of the supply line, i have gone as small as 20th of inch for the hole, start at at least 40th of an inch

You need to make a jetting set up for the supply line. I made them before, with 1/4 twenty allen set screws, in the elbow of the supply line, i have gone as small as 20th of inch for the hole, start at at least 40th of an inch
If you have any pictures you could post up, that helps me get a better idea. Much appreciated.

Check valve is not supposed to hold pressure but stop drain back into the turbo when the motor is off and the scavenge is filling with oil .
Oil fills up the turbo , inlet shows it most because its the low side when on the side stand , it usually blows through and burns out , and on a long ride should clean up
if your getting constant smoke esp at idle at traffic lights then smaller restrictor or better scavenge pump
Turbo seals are not a positive seal and leak oil out if bearing cartridge is full , they also leak pressure in from both inlet and exhaust in small amounts on boost

Turbo should last for many years , only one i have had fail so far was at 9 yrs

What turbo kit ? and which scavenge pump ?

I did just go on a 110mi ride, and was a little surprised that I didn't have my usual oil down the left side of the bike, but then my ride home, with more stop and go was covered and leaking.

I am not seeing any oil burning on the exhaust side, but I could just be missing it. I really just have it almost pouring out of the intake side.

Just replaced/upgraded the scavenge pump to a TurboWerx Mini. I ended up putting a .045 restrictor on the oil out of the motor, and another before going into the turbo. Don't want to starve the turbo either.

My other problem or worry is the turbo intake housing filling with oil, then under boost it is going up into the BOV and Intercooler.

Turbo kit was one I purchased online, guy got help from the former owners of Velocity Racing. Definitely not a home built setup.

All excellent advice.
i have a .020" restrictor on the supply line to the turbo. BB turbo's need very little oil.
You clearly have way too much volume going to the turbo and hence the purpose of a restrictor.
Make sure your pulling the oil away as fast as possible. You sure the scavenge pump is working as expected?

Couple other items - do a leak down test make sure the rings are sealing correctly. If they aren't too much blowby will pressurize the crankcase and push oil to the turbo.
Crank case vent is clear correct?

Back