TODD RE DIAL FACES ASAP

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Hi Todd! I'm installing the dial faces right now and have the side panels off. How do you get the pod apart without removing the entire front cowl? I'd really appreciate a quick answer so I don't have to pull it all apart (lazy)! I'm doubling my chances of finding out fast by e-mailing you as well. So if you've e-mailed me back, just ignore this.

Pete

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 25 February 2000).]

Yes Kaw, and on top of all this...I'm chewing gum too!!

I'm putting the yellows in...

DP, I'm waiting for mine. I asked Todd the same question via e-mail some time ago. He said the pod is held by two screws at the bottom (you should be able to see them right away when you removed the two side black panels). Then you have two more grommets up there, like the ones to remove the side fairings next to the gas tank. If you have small/medium hands, you should be able to slide them between the screen, pull the pod out of the grommets, and disconnect the harness. If you have big hands, like I suspect you do, just remove the screen and you should have absolutely no problem working on it. Good luck. By the way, did you see my recommendation on the exhaust gaskets? Try Midas, or some other big muffler shop. They have every imaginable size. My e-mail is in my profile if you ever need it.

Yes - it's a lot easier if your pull your windscreen since you have to reach behind the pod to pull the single plug. There are only TWO 10mm bolts to remove at the bottom left and bottom right of the pod gauge in order to remove. The top of the pod is secured by two push in "inserts" that pull straight out by hand. (after first removing the two 10mm bolts at the bottom left and right)

When removing the single plug on the back of the pod you have to squeeze a small clip on one side of the plug. It's similiar to other plugs encountered on the bike. When you open up the pod gauge take care not to damage the thin rubber gasket that seals the pod case.

PS - the plug in the back has a removable plastic cover that slides off to gain access to the push in locking clip.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 25 February 2000).]

Thank you very much Todd! And thanks Valk, too. I replied to your Midas suggestion on the "labusus down" thread. And no I don't have extra big hands, but this should not be taken as any reflection on the size of my Johnson...which weighs 474 lbs dry.

Back