Todd Hilligoss CBR Blackbird may not be easy to read

djsin

Lily's Daddy
Registered
this happened in October of 2008 but it was a very good friend of mine and it also happened at a drag strip here in Indiana...
My friend Todd Hilligoss who has drag raced various things all of his life decided to race his CBR Blackbird, he was making a few passes and talking to some of the seasoned pro's and not doing to bad, and taking everything real easy...on his 3rd or 4th pass this day, he managed to stand the bike straight up soon as he got the light, Now Todd was a big guy like 6'5 probably close to 300#s...when the bike came back down he landed with so much force it broke both of the clip ons (handlebars)... the bike then proceded full throttle straight into the guard rail wich in turn split him wide open from his hip to the top of his head helmet and all... they estimate he was only doing about 40 mph as he had not yet crossed the 60 foot mark, the really sad thing is this happend in front of 100's of people, the grand stands all of those kids, me, and all of his best friends....really really awefull.... here are a few of the news clips that are still on the net...
Friends remember man killed in Osceola Dragway accident | WSBT South Bend - Your Local News Leader | Local News
Friends, witnesses respond to deadly motorcycle drag racing crash
The Herald Bulletin - Todd A. Hilligoss

and here is a link to the drag strip where this tragedy happend
Welcome to Osceola Dragway

sad thing is he didnt have a kill switch or anything like that. It may have atleast shut his bike down and possably prevented this tragedy....anyone who drag races should have one its 40$ that can save your life and should be required by the NHRA...

you should look at the links and see some of the ignorant things people post when these tragedy's happen...really makes you angry sometimes and takes away from your ability to deal with your grief...god speed to anyone who has lost a close friend or relative, I say there are 2 kinds of riders... those that have gone down and those that will someday...I had 21 years with no accidents, bragged about it then whammy 2 accidents in one summer, you can never be to carefull! my my last accident I was rear ended by anouther bike, now youd think a fellow rider of all people would know to pay attention!

Very sorry to hear this. May your friend rest in peace. Safety should be a priority.

Very sorry to hear about your friend.

The tracks here require kill switches and full Leather race gear to race a bike, NO exceptions.

Prayers sent for you and his family, I completely agree about two types of riders, I'm one of those that has went down!

Very sorry to hear about your friend.

The tracks here require kill switches and full Leather race gear to race a bike, NO exceptions.

i thought the one here did i know they require full leather helmet and boots, i dont know how he got around or they didnt check for the kill switch they are
an IHRA division 5 sanctioned track Welcome to Osceola Dragway
its really just awefull most tracks are replacing the guard rails with concrete barriers and cellular foam now so this wont happen...since 1957 this is the only fatality this track has seen in any event car,bike or otherwise....

Last edited:
Back