todays lesson about New Zealand

Johnnie Phatt

Registered
So today I learned about the most amazing bridge on the North Island. The views were from the river it crosses
Built from 1905 to 1908 it is still in use as far as I understood. And it is not even the highest one they have
Amazing what they could do at the turn of the century with a lot of hand tools hard labour and old style powered equipment
I REALLY have to take Kiwi up on his offer to bunk in when I visit NZ
The scenery is stunning the cliffs are almost 300 ft high
And I still love the accent even if I do not understand more than every third word

So today I learned about the most amazing bridge on the North Island. The views were from the river it crosses
Built from 1905 to 1908 it is still in use as far as I understood. And it is not even the highest one they have
Amazing what they could do at the turn of the century with a lot of hand tools hard labour and old style powered equipment
And I still love the accent even if I do not understand more than every third word
Ive been up there and seen that bridge and some while at the Cold Kiwi Rally

Glad to see you still around up and still learning on New Zealand. I can see it's only a matter of time before we see some pics of you bunking up at @Kiwi Rider place :thumbsup:

Glad to see you still around up and still learning on New Zealand. I can see it's only a matter of time before we see some pics of you bunking up at @Kiwi Rider place :thumbsup:

Yep I am still around. I am thinking NZ would be a much better winter home than Florida
There are Mountains, Scenic Drives, Big oceans waves to try surfing on. I suspect less crowded too
Not too excited about the earthquake thing. However when you balance that our against Climate change swallowing Miami it may be a bit of a wash
but in the meantime
It is still winter here We pretty much just curl up in the fetal position and cry ourselves to sleep
But May creeps ever closer
How are you guys managing with This Virus situation? I am thinking with it being isolated that may be a big plus

Yep I am still around. I am thinking NZ would be a much better winter home than Florida
There are Mountains, Scenic Drives, Big oceans waves to try surfing on. I suspect less crowded too
Not too excited about the earthquake thing. However when you balance that our against Climate change swallowing Miami it may be a bit of a wash
but in the meantime
It is still winter here We pretty much just curl up in the fetal position and cry ourselves to sleep
But May creeps ever closer
How are you guys managing with This Virus situation? I am thinking with it being isolated that may be a big plus
….and you know a great motorcycle mechanic in Greg aka @Kiwi Rider maybe he can set you up by knowing someone who has a chunk of real estate for you to move into...seems like a win-win to me if that is what you are looking for.

My only wish is that I had been old enough to appreciate it while I lived there. We spent 2 years living in and around Christchurch when I was a kid, but aside from learning to play Rugby, Cricket and Soccer It was mostly lost on me. Wish I had a do over!

My only wish is that I had been old enough to appreciate it while I lived there. We spent 2 years living in and around Christchurch when I was a kid, but aside from learning to play Rugby, Cricket and Soccer It was mostly lost on me. Wish I had a do over!
May I ask how you came to be here when you were a youngster?
Let me guess.... your Dad was with ‘Operation Deep Freeze’ , the US base at ChCh airport?

May I ask how you came to be here when you were a youngster?
Let me guess.... your Dad was with ‘Operation Deep Freeze’ , the US base at ChCh airport?
My dad was actually an Electronics Engineer, got a job working for a company in Christchurch developing an electronic Tuna fish lure system, so we moved from Alaska to NZ. That was around 1971 if I recall.

My dad was actually an Electronics Engineer, got a job working for a company in Christchurch developing an electronic Tuna fish lure system, so we moved from Alaska to NZ. That was around 1971 if I recall.
Wow, 1971 huh? ChCh was a very different place back then as to how it is now!
NZ was almost like a communist country back in those days, I was 13 years old and I was hooked on Marvel comics, my favourite was Spider-Man!
In the comic books were advertisements for all sorts of exciting toys, bikes, roller skates, horror masks, x-ray glasses, etc etc, I wanted to send my allowance money over to America to buy these things and it was not possible, importing anything for a private citizen was near on impossible.
But it was a great place to grow up as a Kiwi kid, I have great memories even though we had far less choice and money was tight, it was a basic lifestyle... but we knew no better.... oh until I saw what America had to offer in those Marvel comics lol.
Oh how things have changed.

Wow, 1971 huh? ChCh was a very different place back then as to how it is now!
NZ was almost like a communist country back in those days, I was 13 years old and I was hooked on Marvel comics, my favourite was Spider-Man!
In the comic books were advertisements for all sorts of exciting toys, bikes, roller skates, horror masks, x-ray glasses, etc etc, I wanted to send my allowance money over to America to buy these things and it was not possible, importing anything for a private citizen was near on impossible.
But it was a great place to grow up as a Kiwi kid, I have great memories even though we had far less choice and money was tight, it was a basic lifestyle... but we knew no better.... oh until I saw what America had to offer in those Marvel comics lol.
Oh how things have changed.
A few things I do remember from back then were paddling around the botanical gardens in Christchurch, playing rugby for the NBRFC and swimming at the old QE2 commonwelath games aquatic facility. Seems like an eternity ago.

A few things I do remember from back then were paddling around the botanical gardens in Christchurch, playing rugby for the NBRFC and swimming at the old QE2 commonwelath games aquatic facility. Seems like an eternity ago.
Great memories!
Botanical gardens are still there and even more beautiful 50 years on, more maturity and newly introduced plants and trees.
The old New Brighton Rugby Football Club huh? I lived in North New Brighton at the time of the quakes, 10 years ago. New Brighton area infrastructure was all but destroyed in the quakes, sadly. It is now a fairly desolate place.
The QE2 sports stadium and swimming facility, built specifically for the 1974 Commonwealth Games held in ChCh , was wrecked in the quakes and demolished. But another facility was built in its place.
You would not recognise ChCh nowadays, completely changed.
But we moved on and the city is almost completely rebuilt, happier days ahead... provided we beat this dreadful virus that has been unleashed on the planet!

have you managed to keep the islands clean so far or is it there too
Hoping you can avoid it completely
The advantage fo living on an island

Back