Today, the US NAVY celebrates its 235th birthday!!

kromdom

wannabe HOON
Donating Member
Registered
To all Sailors past, present and future: Happy Birthday SHIPMATES! :unclesam:

On this date, April 30th, in 1798, President John Adams signed into law the bill that established the Department of the Navy. While the U.S. Navy celebrates its birthday on October 13th (honoring the 1775 founding of the Continental Navy), the modern U.S. Navy -- with its leadership vested in the civilian Secretary of the Navy -- was created on this date. Benjamin Stoddert of Maryland became the first Secretary of the Navy.

logoNavy-763860.jpg

Last edited:
Happy birthday shipmates. I served in Viet Nam with MCB62 in 1969. Our commanding officer was Cdr John Paul Jones Jr, who was a decendent of the father of the navy, Admiral John Paul Jones. :thumbsup:

ECP70050_600PIX.jpg

Boomer sailor here,,,,USS Mariano G. Vallejo...SSBN 658 (B)....Happy Birthday fellow Bubbleheads!!! And to you too Skimmer Pukes!! :rofl:

Happy Birthday USN from someone across the pond who served in Her Majesties Finest the RN. Cheers to all you shipmates around the world. :beerchug:

I'm a test engineer on fast attack boats and have the privlege to work with some excellent sailors and officers alike. Cheers Navy!

rusher,
I was in Fujairah, UAE (DEC 02-APR03) when that thing pulled in. Never imagined that 3 years later, I would be on it as the Senior Enlisted Leader (Co 1stSgt) and "Doc." The Army wanted out of its lease so NAVSPECWARCOM took over....making the ship the "monster garage" project of the SEALS.
P.S. Almost half of the crew was still Army, hence the name HSV X-1 JOINT VENTURE
hsvx1_4.jpg

Last edited:
Damn thing looks like some kind or type of water Busa:laugh:

stripped down (no helo pad, no boat ramp, no comms gear, no extra fuel cells, etc.), she can hit a top speed of 50 knots.

Powerplant wasn't too shabby: 4 x Caterpillar 3618 engines (each rated at 7200kW), around 38,000 HP total (the rooster tail was a sight to behold, rising around 30 feet up in air)

hsvx1_3.jpg

Last edited:
Back