Today is Memorial Day you know?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
A bit disappointing to not see a single thread related? :(

This morning I went to visit my brother. He was not a veteran but we were lucky enough to find a plot for him adjoining the veterans section. He is amongst the heroes he and I honored our entire lives. When I got there the cemetery director had a list and was walking around placing Marine Corp flags in the graves of past Marines. I asked him if he would mind if I helped. He gave me about thirty or forty and a portion of the list. I walked around looking for each one, knelt and said thank you to each and then placed the flag next to each one. Some had dates on them that were from being KIA and others just passed away.
Afterward I went to Sam's grave and played his favorite album for him, Quadrophenia.
It was a very nice thing for them to do and I enjoyed it.

Freedom isn't Free. And most especially on this day we should never forget the cost of it.

2442EED6-BA47-4D3A-979B-9ACBF765775E.jpg

8E927749-0F38-44CC-B9E6-1FA152BD890E.jpg

Sam is three to the right of the tree in back with American flag and just away from one of the graves I marked with a Marine corp flag.
93962E8B-4941-4C4D-8353-C05B415C9217.jpg

This coin on top of my brothers marker says this on one side and has a snake going thru the flag with 'Don't tread on me' on other.
D50B1D56-4B97-4C77-BCC6-720CEE55BEE3.jpg

So when people ask what's on the BBQ or tell you to bring extra beer remind them this is what today is about.
6380FF07-D85F-4A32-8619-9E6ADB05D618.jpg

Great thread, great reminder...far too many Americans think it's all about a day off and cookouts.

A small town near is did a really cool thing this year - they lined Main St. with "Our Hometown Heroes" banners hangings from the streetlights, pictures from a past, some newer ones too, each person shown has a photo from their years in the service, their name and the branch they served in. The streets were lined with tiny American flags. It's humbling to see, and it made me wish every single town and city in America put the effort in to honor their hometown heroes.

I happened to run through that tiny town alone and noticed what they'd done on Friday night, went again the next day with my sons and showed them, then we had Omar with us last night and he got to see it as well. It was really cool.

Remember the reason for Memorial Day, and thanks for the thread Saiid :thumbsup:

God bless all of the men and women who died serving our country, and may their families find peace.

You are a good man Blanca.
You always remember the sacrifices your country has given.
I'm very impressed that you remind people of these sacrifices.
Keep doing it so people will never forget these hero's who have given their lives for the freedom of others.

Definitely much more to it than just a day off, but it is a day of celebration of the freedom's that those that have served and are serving provide. I don't know any one of them that wouldn't want Americans to enjoy the day because if not what they are doing/have done is for not. Absolutely take a moment to remember them, but DO NOT let it damper the celebration of the day!

I had a WW2 VFW member thank me for my service in Tombstone yesterday on a ride I was involved with.

I looked him in the eyes and thanked him for the opportunity to serve.

Freedom isn't free.

Thank you to all Vets

Back