To wrap or not to wrap?

If you're sure that U will never get caught in the rain then its ok. Otherwise, expect rust from the rain. Happened to me on my 86 GPZ900.

If you're sure that U will never get caught in the rain then its ok. Otherwise, expect rust from the rain. Happened to me on my 86 GPZ900.
Titanium shouldn't rust...it doesn't contain enough iron.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154671716 -->

so...you ran a titanium header on your 1986 GPZ???

it takes a lot to rust titanium ... depending on the maker and what metals they combine with the Ti to make the alloy.

Pure Ti won't rust...even in salt water.

But Ti disspates heat really fast...and I am not seeing the advantages of wrapping a TI header.

I ran a wrap on a yosh pipe a number of years ago...it was a mild steel duplex.....it worked OK ...but after it did get wet once....it smelled like bad fish, if I remember correctly.

If you are just trying to hide the looks of an older pipe...then try an HPC solution instead.

I've heard that if you wrap titanium headers it makes them brittle and therefore not to do it...

horse #### on the brittle thing... I always wrap! I've wrapped for years... full titanium...

P1082235.jpg

the only cons are

it can be a pain to wrap unless you take them off the bike

if you don't wrap it in sections you'll have to cut or unwrap it to ever get your exhaust off again

it doesn't scream "bling"

Pro : quiets things down, keeps the heat where it should be and it does add power...

I've heard that if you wrap titanium headers it makes them brittle and therefore not to do it...
Now this is what I am worried about. Plus I don't want to be smelling like a bucket of fish while riding. LOL! They are new TiForce, I was going to wrap before I installed it....but I am leaning towards not doing it. I dont want it to cause any damage to the exhaust.

Thanks for the replies guys.

This is a good question,i am thinking of getting this system also.
PM sent to ya busaN601

wrapping Ti will NOT dmg the pipes, in any way. Been in CNC machining for years and drag racing for a few-my experience is you can do it if you feel too much heat is coming off headers, but not necessary. It is recom. however to put some kind of insulation under headers inside the fairings to keep heat off plastics, or they will bubble out from hot pipes. The wrap does kinda smell when its wet-kinda like after you give a dog a bath-very musty n unpleasant. But as for horsepower gains??? dont think you'd be able to tell the difference, unless you strictly drag the bike- the wrap would allow you to make more passes before bike starts to overheat, thats about it. and the exposed piping will blue-up alot sooner from concentrating heat inside them.

It will also discolor the pipes and leave them looking like sh!t if you ever take it off. I wanted to do the same thing, but didn't think it was worth it.

What about wrapping stock headers? Any ill effects?

And where do you get the wrap material?

Thanks
smile.gif
It has been my experience that wrapping steel headers WILL destroy them.
Don't know about Ti. And again- Don't know about Ti.

I had a '64 VW with a bored and stroked motor to 2180cc with dual 48mm Dell'orto carbs, close ratio trans, yada ,yada, yada, and S&S 4-into-one merged collector headers with megaphone. The headers were wrapped and lasted about two months before one leg broke in two. I pulled the wrap off to find both radial and lengthwise cracks in the pipe.
The header wrap makes the pipe brittle somehow
rock.gif

The header wrap also VOIDED the manufacturers warranty.

Another identical set lasted for years with no wrap.............

I still have stock exhaust and I'm getting bubbling at the end of the decal that goes into the lower right faiting. Someone here suggested to have the dealer wrap it to help with the heat.

So, would this destroy the pipe(s)?

most likely yes-i say call up thermotec-they have good stuff n it will insulate the plastics without covering up the pipe. Otherwise try a race-shop or hardware store for insulation with adhesive for inner fairing.

I wrapped my Ti Force where it goes along the right side plastic and it has gotten wet . I recently changed the wrap and there was no damage to the pipes and no real discoloration that a little mother's polish couldn't handle.

Thanks big D...just linked on Thermotec's web site, looks like these know what they're doing.

Great site...

thermotec

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154910564 -->

no prob. Ive used their stuff on alot of my cars, but havent put any stuff on a bike yet-no turbo or anything that I felt gave off so much heat I needed to insulate. good luck n post up if stuff goes good/bad!
smile.gif

Back