To vent or not!

gixer les

Registered
Hi, I'm running a fairly low power turbo busa in LSR, the question i have is wether to leave the vents in the fairing nose cone clear for air flow or blank it all off like on the turbo fairings that you can buy? i've asked a few people and views vary.
I'm just concerned about the build up of heat if it's not vented.

Cheers.

I've talked to several people about it and have heard both ways. Some say it helps and some say it doesn't do anything.

I can tell you from my experience it actually helped taping the ram-air vents closed.

My recommendation to you would be to try it BOTH ways and make your own conclusion. Not all tracks and conditions are the same so results can always vary.. ;)

I don't run turbo but I would have to think it may vary depending on your specific application and use.

In Got Busa's case he might get a little better top end speed out of it by having it blocked and improving aerodynamics. If you cruise strips on the beach in 90 degree weather at 30 mph then a little more air flow may not hurt.

I don't know chit, but at high speeds I doubt much air is flowing through those openings based on people running high speeds feeling the need to extend those tubes 3 inches or so to get airflow. Also those tubes did not originally feed air into the motor compartment for cooling but into the airbox. For LSR purposes I don't see where it would hurt to tape them off.

surely with a turbo setup they feed nothing...only thing they are doing is aiding cooling around the upper engine area.....tape them over and see what difference it makes to your application......at high speed they could well just be creating drag.

It also depends how you have your bike setup? Have you removed the tubes completely and they no longer connect to the frame (meaning no air is flowing through the tubes)? Or did you leave them connected but only cut out the clutch side where the up-pipe goes into the frame?

If you don't have the radiator area behind the wheel restricted or blocked in anyway you will probably notice very little if any change in cooling from airflow from the ram air tubes...

It also depends how you have your bike setup? Have you removed the tubes completely and they no longer connect to the frame (meaning no air is flowing through the tubes)? Or did you leave them connected but only cut out the clutch side where the up-pipe goes into the frame?

If you don't have the radiator area behind the wheel restricted or blocked in anyway you will probably notice very little if any change in cooling from airflow from the ram air tubes...

Thanks for replies everyone, i think the above post has probably answered my question, the pipes are still in place just cut back to the up pipe etc. but if anybody has anything else to add please feel free, Cheers.

At high speeds every little bit helps! At speed over 200 mph its like cutting through a wall! you will know the first time you let off the throttle!
I run at mojave best run so far 227.5 stading mile and a half. Turbo fairing no air intakes..

At high speeds every little bit helps! At speed over 200 mph its like cutting through a wall! you will know the first time you let off the throttle!
I run at mojave best run so far 227.5 stading mile and a half. Turbo fairing no air intakes..

Thanks for that, well done on your top speed too!

Back