? to the tire guru's

doniton2

Registered
I guess I'm in a love hate relationship with my Q2's this is 3800 miles and it needs to be changed. unless you guys think I could get another couple of hundred miles out of them. they help the bike turn in quick though. pretty much all my riding is twisties. is there a better mileage tire that sticks. I'm not out dragging my knees but I do love a spirited pace.

1tire.jpg

2tire.jpg

3tire.jpg

I get ribbed a lot for my choice in tire pressure I run 36-38 in front and 38-40 in rear. if it's colder out I run the lower below 65.

Looks about right to me for a hypersport rated tire with mild to hard street riding. I would be more impressed if that was a rear with 3800 miles.

Why not try BT016's next time?

For twisties, I would lower the pressure a bit - 33F/36R. When tires warm up the pressure goes up at least 10% and becomes 36F/40R. I have TPMS installed and have the display right in front of me.

For your settings, warmed up tires would have 40-42 front / 42-45 rear respectively which I would guess is a bit too much.

I've averaged 2200 miles out of the 2 rears I've run. I have one more set of Q2's and with whats left on this rear and the new one I have I think I'll be ready for front and rear next time my front is trash. I was just reading k03gsxr750 thread about the BT016 and think that will be my next tire unless someone has something better.

Strictly my opinion and I have not got the final mileage numbers and I have not seen any 100+ degree days yet but I am really liking the BT-016 front and BT-023 rear combo.

I've averaged 2200 miles out of the 2 rears I've run. I have one more set of Q2's and with whats left on this rear and the new one I have I think I'll be ready for front and rear next time my front is trash. I was just reading k03gsxr750 thread about the BT016 and think that will be my next tire unless someone has something better.

I don't personally know anything about those tires, but keep in mind it doesn't matter what kind of mileage he gets out of them. They're on a 750, which is about 170 lbs lighter, and has Alot less hp and torque than the Busa. That makes a big difference in mileage, and the Busa eats tires if you ride it right:laugh: I usually get 2k from a rear, and under 3k from a front.

4K is about right for a high performance tire. If you can get more than that you're really good at staying out of the throttle.

Yep, those tires needa changin :) And, I run mine about 34/34 street, lower on the track.

The question you gotta ask yourself: "for $200 a set (when you buy them right), was 3000 miles good enough for the grip you got out of them?"

I've run BT016's that got about comparable mileage to the Q2.

alot of people are running the michelin pilot power 2ct...how are those for our bikes? i'm about to buy a new pair of tires for my bike....guess i have never been a fan of bridgstone tires.

I don't think the 2CT lasts any longer than a BT16 or Q2. My 2CTs fell victim to a carpenter's nail but were wearing as I would have expected.

how are they for grip and for improving handling. the stock tires seem to to turn all that well compaired to past bikes with differant tires.....just want to make bike "turn in" better and not make it feel flat footed if that makes sence

What you are trying to achieve is not something that you achieve with tires. Tires can effect what your feeling a little bit but what you want to do is have your suspension set up. Get the sag set the best you can, to do it right you may have to respring the front end. Once the sag is set if your still not happy with the way the bike is handling you need to either raise the rear end up a little bit or drop the front end a little bit. If possible I recomend raising the rear as that does not reduce your ground clearance.

On my track bike I have a penske shock on the back that allows me to adjust ride height. On my street bike I put some raising links in the back to raise the rear about 1". I understand you can also use spacers under the rear shock to achieve a similar effect.

In my view the BT016 & Q2 are at the top of the list for performance street tires. They are also fairly equal in performance although the Q2 is my favorite. Pilot Powers are now old school tires and Michelin has a current upgraded tire to replace the PP line.

You most likely won't get any better mileage from the 16 over the Q2. I will say you pushed that Q2 past the point it should have been replaced. Just from looking at the wear on the tire, I'd say your suspension needs some attention. You aren't leaning very far but your front is pushing when you turn. A term called "Plowing".

Also, you may try dropping a couple pounds of air to give the tire slightly more contact area which will help to keep the tire from plowing.

Back