To the people who own Harley's... Is it as good as they say?

I bought mine because my wife wanted one, what makes her happy makes me happy. She also tells me that the vibration is WONDERFUL!

Must..............not................post...............must...............not.................post...............arrrrg!

I was recently at a gas station filling my tank when two riders, one on a Harley and the other on a Kawasaki Concours 1400, rode into the station. The Kawi rider and I started talking about a number of issues on our bikes; likes, dislikes,...The Harley rider wasn't really able to particpate in this conversation and clearly didn't like the fact that he and the Harley weren't the center of attention. This reaction, together with conversations I have had with many other Harley owners, confirms my belief that alot of Harley owners are about image/attitude...The Busa generates alot of attention-positive and negative-wherever I go.
I tested a number of Harleys and Japanese criusers before getting a VTX1800F. With the exception of the Revolution-engined models, Harleys are serious under-performers in many areas.
Everyone has their reasons for buying motorcycles. Some are emotional and others quantifiable.

No of coarse not.
They are not a bad MC, nor are they the best.
Buying a HD is similar to buying a corvette...... let me explain.

If a person wants a Harley, a Honda will not fill the bill.
If a person wants a corvette any 2 door sports car will not due.
They are buying a brand name.
There are many "better" bikes out there.
There are reasons people want a Harley and nothing else will work for them.
Harley has some of the most loyal customers of any product.
The reasons vary with each person, but the under lying common denominator is the "Harley" name.
I don't bash anyone for the make or model they ride. Just glad they are part of the motorcycle community.

Interesting thoughts from the owner of one of the nicest Harleys I have ever seen :beerchug:

No of coarse not.
They are not a bad MC, nor are they the best.
Buying a HD is similar to buying a corvette...... let me explain.

If a person wants a Harley, a Honda will not fill the bill.
If a person wants a corvette any 2 door sports car will not due.
They are buying a brand name.
There are many "better" bikes out there.
There are reasons people want a Harley and nothing else will work for them.
Harley has some of the most loyal customers of any product.
The reasons vary with each person, but the under lying common denominator is the "Harley" name.
I don't bash anyone for the make or model they ride. Just glad they are part of the motorcycle community.

Good analogy! :thumbsup:

The best bike in the world is the one you like as no matter what, you can find 10,000 things right about the bike you like and 10,000 things wrong about any other brand you don't like. Ride to Live, Live to Ride no matter what you ride.....

Last edited:
If I could swing it, I'd get either the crossbones or the streetglide. That's the one with hardbags and a cutdown dark tinted visor. I like it but there's still the price. Even marked down, your looking at paying atleast $15-16K for it.

What I can never get over is how any particular bike so delineates and polarizes us humans and does so in a way that no other vehicle has even touched.

Screw yall man.... Harley, Italian and Japanese enthusiasts alike.....

The 1974 Honda Z50 ruled(s) and if you aint rode one, given the chicks a ride on one, ran through the mean old neighbor lady's yard (and garden) on one, and been caught miles from home while your.... dad was at work and you were not even supposed to be home..... then you aint shiz yo!

When I was 9 I rode this bike and it defined me from then on.... Hey, they are all cool, its up to your own flayvah!

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Last edited:
I have been around Harleys, BSA'a and Triumph's my whole life. My dad runs a motorcycle club and owns about 8 bikes total. 1 Harley Road King, 2 classic Sportsters, 2 vintage custom choppers, 2 Triumph's, and 1 BSA.(He sold the 1340 Shovel Head after a back surgery and heart attack). His Harley's are always broke. His favorites are the BSA's and Triumph's. But if you ask him he'll tell ya if he could do it all over he'll go BMW. I used to borrow his bikes all the time, but everytime I took one out it seems like they would brake down on me. The brakes locked up on the 1340 Shovel Head, the clutch pressure plate failed on the Road King, I fixed the electric starter on the 1340 also(to much dam compression to kick off). And I layed one down in some gravel. Thats when he told me I would be better off getting my own bike.I'm a Suzuki man myself. Hayabusa or M109 or nothing at all:thumbsup:

Back