To the people who own Harley's... Is it as good as they say?

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering. All Harley owners and non-owners swear its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Is it REALLY? Would you say they are worth the premium price? Does it actually cost a lot to keep them on the road compared to the Busa?

This is a serious question, not bashing. Ive never rode one other than around the block.

Because i'll be honest... That Cross Bones is friggin SWEET! Though its way to expensive for me to ever have one.

2216764055_08a61e352c.jpg

Last edited:
No of coarse not.
They are not a bad MC, nor are they the best.
Buying a HD is similar to buying a corvette...... let me explain.

If a person wants a Harley, a Honda will not fill the bill.
If a person wants a corvette any 2 door sports car will not due.
They are buying a brand name.
There are many "better" bikes out there.
There are reasons people want a Harley and nothing else will work for them.
Harley has some of the most loyal customers of any product.
The reasons vary with each person, but the under lying common denominator is the "Harley" name.
I don't bash anyone for the make or model they ride. Just glad they are part of the motorcycle community.

I've owned and built Harleys all my life. I only ride my 2 sportbikes now. You do the math. :whistle:

People buy Harleys for the name and the look. Go to the HD website and look closely, "look", "sound", "feel", "attitude", "creed", nowhere is the ridability factor mentioned. The "club" factor I think plays a big part in owning a Harley, being part of the group, why HOG has more members than any other motorcycle organization. One thing with a Harley, you always have plenty of people to ride with.
To keep in line with the "no bashing" criteria I'll just say, they aren't for me for maaany reasons. But as stated, if you want one, nothing else will do.:beerchug:

Harley has built a name with Advertising, Has nothing to do with the bike being any better than any other. IMO They are overpriced just because of there name. There are so many bikes out there now that look and sound like a Harley, Personally before I spent the extra money for a name, I would go with a Honda VTX / or a M109 ( Both very nice bikes ) and much cheaper. However like mentioned before, If its a Harley you want nothing else will surfise. Your buying into the name and the group.

Not bashing Harley, Todays Harleys are built much better than the earlier ones.

Ohhhhhhh . . . But there still slow as hell :rofl:

I own a K8 and an Ultra. the ultra is very comfortable 1 or 2 up on long trips. they each have there own place in the motorcycle world. get what you want.

I will not go in to great details, but I own a Busa, and a Harley full dresser. My Harley seems cheaper to operate than my Busa. Not counting the money spent on Upgrades, Mods, or what have you. Simply Maintenance, the Harley is cheaper for me.
I love both and would not get rid of either. I would part with the other bikes I own before the Busa or Harley.
That is just me.

I will not go in to great details, but I own a Busa, and a Harley full dresser. My Harley seems cheaper to operate than my Busa. Not counting the money spent on Upgrades, Mods, or what have you. Simply Maintenance, the Harley is cheaper for me.
I love both and would not get rid of either. I would part with the other bikes I own before the Busa or Harley.
That is just me.

Yeah like he said:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I wonder what this thread would look like if the tables were turned and this were posted on a Harley board.

i would not mind having a hardley if they cut the prices to half!:laugh:
overpriced is the reason i will never own one.
my friend just bought a preowned hardley with all bells and whistles and it is a 2003 with 12000 miles on it and he told me he got a good deal and asked me how much you think he paid for it and i said about 9k, he looked at me and said "what"? i said how much he replied 14500.00 and he said "IT IS A HARDLEY":laugh::laugh:

I too have a Harley and a couple of Busa's and wouldnt give up either! I ride the Harley to work every day and much prefer it on long trips especially if I am riding two up. Like others have said its easy and cheap to maintain and never lets me down. The Harley will never perform like the Busa so I will never understand all these guys who sink tons of money into a Harley to try and make it go fast even the vrod on its best day doesnt stand a chance just way to heavy to be a contender but that doesnt take away from the fact that they are a nice bike.

Since I do ride a Harley and hang with a lot of Harley riders it never fails when someone sees me on the Busa or it in my garage they have to tell how they know someone who beat one with their Harley and it just makes me laugh. I have had many try but by the time I shift the busa into third they are a speck in the mirror!

Aside from the price, and the reasons stated above I would not have a Hardley for another reason. Here in Southern IL over 90% of the bikes on the road are Hardleys. Why would I want something that looks and sounds just like everyone elses? :poke:

My first harley had a foot clutch if that tells you anything. I've had a harley in the garage most of my life and have the only harley dresser that does wheelies in the state as far as I know. There is just something about the rumble of a harley that makes the experience unique. And, if you have the cash, you really can make the harley spank a busa. Just attend the all harley drags. Those 800 HP alcohol burning monsters carry the front tire across the finish line with the front tire still in the air. 200 + mph in the quarter, EVIL!

If I could only keep one bike, it would not be the harley but I do have an emotional bond with the big lathargic beast. The harley is preferred for two up riding on a lazy afternoon.

I'm not sure if it's still true today but just a few years ago harley sold more bikes (Dollar wise) annually than all the sport bikes combined. I would not be surprised if that is still the case?

It's very hard to beat the busa for an all around bike. Especially if you are a single bike guy.

Last edited:
My first harley had a foot clutch if that tells you anything. I've had a harley in the garage most of my life and have the only harley dresser that does wheelies in the state as far as I know. There is just something about the rumble of a harley that makes the experience unique. And, if you have the cash, you really can make the harley spank a busa. Just attend the all harley drags. Those 800 HP alcohol burning monsters carry the front tire across the finish line with the front tire still in the air. 200 + mph in the quarter, EVIL!

If I could only keep one bike, it would not be the harley but I do have an emotional bond with the big lathargic beast. The harley is preferred for two up riding on a lazy afternoon.

I'm not sure if it's still true today but just a few years ago harley sold more bikes (Dollar wise) annually than all the sport bikes combined. I would not be surprised if that is still the case?

It's very hard to beat the busa for an all around bike. Especially if you are a single bike guy.

Not trying to be a smart azz but a Harley spanking a Busa??? If you dropped the same $$ in a busa as it would take to get to 800 hp with a Harley who would have a faster bike ??? It may spank a stock Busa but if fair is fair, and you upgrade the Busa with the same $$ in mods, bye bye Harley....

I personally have only rode one. It is not for me, but that is me. I like the look of a Harley.

Steven, there is nothing Harley on those gas drag bikes but maybe a sticker.
Most are running aftermarket cases, pistons, valves, heads, cams ect...

Steven, there is nothing Harley on those gas drag bikes but maybe a sticker.
Most are running aftermarket cases, pistons, valves, heads, cams ect...
Yea the entire "Harley" domainated drag series is a complete and total joke.. I quit watching NHRA bike racing when they pulled the plug on the jap bikes..(by pull the plug, I mean rule changes)

No stock parts
MASSIVE disiplacement advantage
Weight advantage..

heck they did anything and everything HD asked for the drag racing series to gain wins..

On the other hand, I owned a Heritage and the bike was a blast to ride.. again like Steve mentioned above, if you want an HD, a Honda is not going to work..

Me, I like motorcycles, big, small, fast, slow what ever, I like 2 wheels and I like riding.. I could really care less about the name badge as long as the bike has some sort of endearing feature to make it different from the others..

Back