To Test Ride, Or Not To Test Ride???

Would you allow a potential buyer to test ride your bike?

• Yes, anybody can ride it. After all, it's insured.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • No, not even a potential buyer.

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • Yes, only if it's someone I know to be a good rider.

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
I've got a guy coming over to look at my 919 in a little while. I've never bought a bike from an individual, so I'm not sure how this all works. I've only sold one bike, but it was to a good friend and riding buddy, so I knew he was ok with it. I have full coverage on the bike right now. The registration is expired, but the insurance is there.

Would you let somebody take a ride? What are your thoughts on this?

Oh, while I've got you here! I have a very nice 2006 Honda 919 for sale. Purchased new in May 2008. Only 3500 Miles, tires in very good shape. The bike is super clean. Only $5000. Please pass the word along to anybody who might be interested.

Thanks in advance! :beerchug:

DSCN0732 resize for ad.jpg

DSCN0734 resize for ad.jpg

if you know he can ride I would think you know him/her but they can ride the bike once I have the money in my hands , anyone can wreck out

The insurance normally only pays off for you. My only experience was getting rid of my '78 KZ650. The battery was dead and the guy paid me cash without ever hearing or riding it.

NO FREE RIDES....EVER... if there is an agreement about the mechanical condition of the bike, then agree to the ride as soon as the money is in your hand... if you know of any mechanical issues, tell him up front and go... To many things to go wrong and the only guy that is going to pay a price is you...

NO FREE RIDES....EVER... if there is an agreement about the mechanical condition of the bike, then agree to the ride as soon as the money is in your hand... if you know of any mechanical issues, tell him up front and go... To many things to go wrong and the only guy that is going to pay a price is you...

I agree. Technically the bike is yours and if something negative happens, you will likely be held responsible. If the person knows motorcycles and you both go over the bike in detail, there should be no reason to test ride it.

Nick looking bike!!

NO FREE RIDES....EVER...

I agree.
If he is serious and gets past the initial look and wants to test drive it, you take it out for a run and let him follow you in something else.
He can see that it will handle and can cruise along near you to observe, listen etc.
My adds always said "No Test Pilots"
I sold everybike I ever advertised this way.
Hey ask him after he buys it if you can take it for one last cruise, and see what he says.

I'm glad you posted this as I have always wondered how to handle this situation especially with high performance motorcycles.

I agree with the posts so far but the thing is I feel like I would want to test drive any bike I bought second hand. I can't tell if the bike has a shimmy or whatever just by watching someone else ride the bike.

Also what is the best way to handle the financial side?

Last edited:
When I bought wifey's bike, I handed the guy 100% of the purchase price in cash before riding it. But I rode it before finalizing the sale.

I have found every buyer that was serious and ready-to-go has been very understanding of sellers protecting their bikes. I do a quick explanation that it's an expensive and easy to steal piece of equipment, so my rules are firm.

• The bike is viewed and demonstrated by me at my home
  • The buyer is allowed to sit on and feel the bike running, but it has a disc lock on it
  • A price is negotiated, and a bill of sale drawn up. I instruct the buyer to go to their bank and withdraw the full purchase price in cash. If the bike is being sold on a loan, we'll skip this step for now.
  • I will ride the bike to the inspecting garage for it's MOT safety inspection
  • I will instruct the garage to inspect and record any pre-existing damage.
  • The mechanic will certify it as "FIT"
  • If being sold on a loan, I will go with the buyer to their bank to view the Certified Cheque is legit. It prevents mistakes with name spellings or other conflicts.
  • The Bill of Sale is signed on the spot, cash & ownerships are exchanged
  • I will remain at (or return to) the garage for 20 minutes for the new owner to test-ride the bike. If a problem develops, the buyer is to return to the garage and we will discuss it with the mechanic who just certified it. Otherwise, the bike is now theirs.

I will take the bill of sale & copy of their drivers license to the MOT office and register the bike as sold - no longer in my possession. I can then surrender my plates. If sold on a loan, they will get a copy of the cheque.

It's a bit cold, but it protects everyone involved. There are no questions, and I've never had a sale fall through because of a few extra steps.

You are liable for the damage to the bike and the rider if you are the seller in my state. So be careful. Lawsuits are just as painful as road rash if not more...

i'm surprised no-one else picked up on this important part of your dilemma.....
u have insurance but rego has expired = NO INSURANCE PAY-OUT if he throws it down the road....:whistle:
that should make your decision re: letting him test-ride it :thumbsup:

Nobody rides my bikes but me. A potential buyer can climb on back if he wants to feel it run through the gears.....thats as close to a test ride as anybody gets :laugh:

no free rides....ever... If there is an agreement about the mechanical condition of the bike, then agree to the ride as soon as the money is in your hand... If you know of any mechanical issues, tell him up front and go... To many things to go wrong and the only guy that is going to pay a price is you...

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

Back