To buy Gen1 or Gen2? Please help (newbie to the forum)

Good Day everyone!!

I'm new to the forum! I've been following quite a while!
I need your help guys!

First of all I'm Theo, 28 yr old from Athens, Greece. I'm a very big fan of Hayabusa, I mean I love this bike!
I own a Honda VTR1000 which Im gonna sell soon. I managed to raise some money and Im thinking to buy At last Hayabusa!!!

I've seen some ads(used bikes) with i.e. 07 busa with 40000 km cost abt 4200 euros and the 08 busa with 20-30k km cost abt 6000-6500. I'm being very specific (sorry for that) I can manage 5k Euros with my old bike sold.

Therefore, is it better to wait couple months to buy the Gen2 or to buy now the Gen1 . And also, which parts of the bike do you consider most important
to pay attention when buying a used busa??

The thing is that I like better the Gen1, I think is more beautiful and aggressive, also more tunable. (I'm imaging ti exhausts, KN filter power commander and playin/tuning with my laptop!!!)

Thank you in advance for your tolerance!! Cant wait to be a busa owner!!

I would buy the newest,lowest mileage bike you can afford(and the Gen II has some improvements over the Gen I,including 25+ more horsepower).

(and welcome to the board :thumbsup:)

Thanks for yr prompt reply! I think you're right! I'm just anxious to buy now a busa and if I buy now I'll buy 05-07 model with only 2k euro difference :( It's a pity isn't it?

no one keeps their bike stock so it really doesn't matter. I prefer the look of the Gen I. there will never be another Gen I. there will be hundreds of Gen watever's tho..... thats if suzuki doesn't stop makn the Hayabusa all together.

If you have the money to buy now and you like the look of the gen I then I would get that. Save a little more and build the engine and you have exactly what you want. The look of the gen I with the power of a genII.

Things to check:

The Oil Pan drain bolt is often stripped. Make sure there are no signs of oil around the bolt or on the pan.

The busa is a heavy bike - if it was wheelied a lot, then the front fork seals are most common in need of replacement.

The other stuff is normal for any bike.

Check the chain and sprocket - any kinks in the chain? Do the sprocket teeth look worn or rounded?
Looking at the break calipers you should be able to see if the break pads are thin and/or near the wear indicators.
Tread on the tires. Check the date code. If more then 5-6 years old I would think about replacing them as rubber gets hard with age.
Ask if they have service records - at least oil/filter changes - if those where done regularly then most Busa engines are bulletproof.
Ask how old the battery is. Some last 5-8 years other only last 2 years.

Of course if there are any signs that it was dropped or they admit it was, I might pass and look at a different bike.
Remember that a deal to good to be true - usually is. But not always, sometimes someone needs money quick so they lower the price. That's called a steal.

I have a Gen I and it is fast enough for me. Yes the Gen II have a few nice features but they were not enough for me to trade up to, at this time.
I'm Still happy with the 04 I have. I would look at 04 or newer as some of the first ones had a few issues but by 04 they had been sorted out.

Good luck - If you do get a Busa we EXPECT you to post pictures - Just so you know. :laugh:

Good afternoon folks!!

Thank you all for your warm welcome and your response to my questions.

I managed to get the money to buy the Gen II. I think ill gonna look the Gen II! Ive seen one busa today but it had traces of oil at the forks. So, I thought that previous rider was either wheeleing a lot, or braking a lot at high speeds. The shop owner told me that it is because the bike was siting a lot. Dont know, better to buy not from a shop. Gosh I loved it though, feels lighter than my VTR.

Yia sou Theo!

Go for a Gen 1. It weighs less...
The rest of the advantages the Gen 2 may have can be added on to a Gen 1. You can't get a Gen 2 to weigh much less though!

Good afternoon folks!! Thank you all for your warm welcome and your response to my questions. I managed to get the money to buy the Gen II. I think ill gonna look the Gen II! Ive seen one busa today but it had traces of oil at the forks. So, I thought that previous rider was either wheeleing a lot, or braking a lot at high speeds. The shop owner told me that it is because the bike was siting a lot. Dont know, better to buy not from a shop. Gosh I loved it though, feels lighter than my VTR.
fork seals are an easy fix

If your a tinkerer and enjoy modifying and improving your bike then get a Gen1. If you just want something you can put fuel in and go then chose a Gen2

Gen1 had transmission problems.
No particular reason for it either, just the design. A beat up bike with 100k miles could never have an issue, and the garage queen with 5k miles transmission could go out. An expensive fix if you can't do it yourself. Too much of a gamble if money is tight.
The 99 to 01 models ecu cannot be flashed/tuned either, but they can be upgraded to the 02 to 07 that can. There are several parts involved though, not just an ecu swap.
As mentioned above, if you like to work on bikes, and have the tools and ability to fix most anything on it, get a gen1.
Otherwise, a gen2 is a better choice.
Fork seals aren't hard either, but again, you need tools/stands. They also don't nesacerily mean the bike has been abused. Likely just someone doing a lot of power wheelies. Usually about $200 for a shop to do it, and half of that is parts and oil.
Pro's and con's of each, but a gen2 is a better choice to just buy and ride.

Gen II, I owned both, both are great bikes. The Gen II fixed all the complaints from the Gen I. To many differences to list. It's a lot more than the factory power difference. 16 pound difference, I dropped 37 pounds off mine by putting an aftermarket exhaust on it. Don't understand the buy the Gen I and add to it to overcome the added HP of the Gen II. Why wouldn't you buy the Gen II and add the small things and still end up with 25 more ponies :whistle:

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Hey there fellow busa riders!

I'm back, one day prior getting my hayabusa 07 model black edition with very low mileage (like new)!! Its beautiful, I'm gonna get 200 km's away from here to receive her and ride her back to my garage! I'm excited and of course will revert with pics!!

But i'm little worried because i've rever ridder hayabusa for long ride and little scared to be honest, will try to keep her till 100 kph realy smooth and nice for months till we get to know each other. I trust this is a secure bike and steady if you keep throttle in control!

Any advice from your experience? My sister will join me to the trip to get her! I won't sleep today from anxiety!:lol:

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the bike. And, you are correct, the Busa is really smooth and to me always feels well planted. Just keep your throttle hand under control till you get to know each other and you'll be fine. And remember, a quick twist of the wrist will take you from cruising along safely to "Oh My God" in a big hurry and the bike is so smooth you'll hardly notice. Just respect the power and you'll be fine.

I'm so excited and anxious! I can't wait till tomorrow!!

I plan my first retrofitting to be a K&N filter to cut some cost of the replacement (she's totally stock) and second yoshi slip-ons (trioval) TRC!(when i raise some $$)

Back