Titanium chains & sprockets

:poke: Where are the chain and sprocket, the only thing that I saw is the axle in titanium and the aluminum sprockets! ???

It is not titanium (trade name), its strong (16,000) but heavier than stock. FYI

Ah yes, but it is titanium - at least 95% from what I googled. Used in only very high automotive and space age applications.

Ti has a extremely great weight to strength ratio...this application really comes into play when talking about alot of material...example: skin of an airplane. But for something like a sprocket...we would be talking grams, if both sprockets are machined the same of course.

Someone has already mentioned it here, many consumer Ti products are actually an alloy (mixed with other materials) but claim as pure Ti. So buyer beware.

Ti sprocket would be also prone to teeth breaking off easily and cracking because the abuse something like a sprocket see's would not make Ti very happy at all (Ti does not like to give away material easily...ask a machinist).

As for a Ti chain, would be extremely light, but would require some extreme care in setup and have a extremely short working life....but also dependent on where and how Ti is used.

I'm sure race teams have experimented with Ti chains and sprockets before...and I'm sure many have experienced the cost/weight/performance benefits are not worth it at all.

Ti is great stuff though. Good thing China and India has slowed lately....they were consuming that stuff like water a couple years ago, and the prices were out of control....all materials for that matter.

there's no benefit to a titanium race sprocket when you can get aluminum alloy sprockets. Aluminum is lighter than Titanium alloy. If a Titanium sprocket were to be properly designed to take advantage of it's strength to mass then it would be a lighter and more durable sprocket than an aluminum alloy sprocket. Unfortunately that's not the case. If you want the lightest sprocket go with an aluminum alloy sprocket. The durability will suffer compared to a steel one. There are aluminum alloy sprockets on the market that are ptfe coated to increase their durability but the sprocket will still not last as long as a steel one.
Chains are a whole different item. Good luck finding a company that will make a true titanium alloy chain.

Last edited:
they're using the "titanium" name but the product is not made from titanium alloy.

You are incorrect. I talked to them on the phone and they are made of a titanium moly alloy. You have to do this with titanium or it would be too brittle. There is also a small amount of copper. 95% Ti.

You should really research your facts before posting speculation.

You are incorrect. I talked to them on the phone and they are made of a titanium moly alloy. You have to do this with titanium or it would be too brittle. There is also a small amount of copper. 95% Ti.

You should really research your facts before posting speculation.

Where's the proof? Actually, nevermind I don't care.

Last edited:
Back