Tires

The stock bridgestones (BT56's) were ok until they got about 2/3 wear and then they started sliding on me a lot.  I've got a Bridgestone BT12SS on the front, and a BT010 on the back.  They feel great in the curves. I've got over 2000 miles on this set and I think I can squeeze 5K out of the rear, and that's a lot for a 'busa.

Ok, so lets talk tires now. Eventually we all need them. What's everyone getting?? I've seen rave reviews for the Dunlaps for the past number of years yet Busa comes with Bridgestone.

I'd Like to hear some experienced prefs?

What about tire size? Can I drop width by 10 or 20 and improve turning? I notice IT swings wide on me compared to my previous ride. Tire pro told me race bikes use small rear, all that extra rubber is extra weight for no better traction or dynamics, that it's just for looks.

Ok, so lets talk tires now.  Eventually we all need them.  What's everyone getting??  I've seen rave reviews for the Dunlaps for the past number of years yet Busa comes with Bridgestone.

I'd Like to hear some experienced prefs?

What about tire size?  Can I drop width by 10 or 20 and improve turning?  I notice IT swings wide on me compared to my previous ride.  Tire pro told me race bikes use small rear, all that extra rubber is extra weight for no better traction or dynamics, that it's just for looks.
Well I have been on 4 different sets of tires! I think the Mich Pilot Sports are the best all around so far. The Met Rennsports were by far the best grip and handling. Shortest life though.

As far as the 180 versus the 190 I would have to say that with the 180/55 you will get better turn in then the 190/50 due to the profile of the tire. Your racer friends my be wrong on the count though... The major tire manufactures are now producing a 190/55 tire in race compound only. This tire will give you a quicker turn in and a bigger tire patch on the road to help with the torque these big bikes are putting out.

Friend of mine won the Willow Spring Twin class and he ran the 190/50 on his TLR.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Back