Tires

kneescratch

Registered
Hi, I need new rubber for my Gen 11, has anyone tried Michelin Pilot Road 4's ?

Or what do you recommend for all weather riding.

Thanks
Gary

It rains a lot here in Alaska, and the roads aren't always warm and grippy, my next set of tires is going to be the Avon Storm 3D-XM (extra mileage) - soft and grippy on the sides, warm up fast with the 3D sipes, and long wearing harder rubber in the center for more wear/mileage. Tons of good reviews on them with large displacement hypersport bikes (hayabusa, Ninja1400) online.

I used to run Pilot Sports on my VFR, loved them. You'd probably be fine, I'm sure they're great tires. The only problem with online reviews at places like revzilla or whatever, is that you don't know what bike people were riding when using them. The torque of the 'busa's engine isn't always kind to tires that perform well on other bikes! Hopefully someone here can give you a direct answer, but I'm sure they're great tires.

**edit**
Found this good review of them online:
http://www.spiritstrike.com/gear/2014/1/15/michelin-pilot-road-4-tires

I just wore out my first set of PR3s. Replaced them with 3's. I was sitting at Wheelers in the mountains of NC and had a conversation with an FJR rider who was getting tires. He had just worn out a set of 4's 8K miles. I told him I had just got 14K miles on the rear tire of my Busa. We both went with PR3's. :dunno:

The PR3's have a medium center and soft sides, the PR4's have a hard center and medium sides. I put PR3's on my other bike a couple of weeks ago. The Busa only gets Dunlop Q-2s, or has if can still find them later.

No personal experience...but have heard others comment on the PR4 stating they prefer the PR3's. I'm a fan of the Pirelli Angle GT..

I absolutely love my PR3's just changed out the rear tire at about 12000 or so and the front still look good.

I absolutely love my PR3's just changed out the rear tire at about 12000 or so and the front still look good.
I thought the same thing and a thousand miles later the entire left side of the tire was gone. So keep an eye on it.

what i know for sure, is that the people really love their PRs! I have never tried them, I am a Bridgestone guy.

Just scrubbed in a pair of Pilot Power 3's. Suppose to get a little better mileage than OEM. They feel like they are hooked to the road well.

Currently, I'm using a Pilot Road 3 on the rear and a Pilot Power 3 on the front because the Pilot Road 4 wasn't available when I installed them. They are taking forever to wear down but once they do, I'll put a Pilot Road 4 on the rear and stick with another Pilot Power on the front.

I'd used Michelin Pilot Roads on my CBR1100XX and FJR1300 for a combined 135,000 miles and always used the newest model that was available from Michelin. In my experience, the newest version always outperformed the previous one and never felt the need to use a Pilot Road rather than a Pilot Road 2CT or a Pilot Road 2CT in lieu of a Pilot Road 3.

Back