Tires, Colder weather and roads

audial

Registered
I wasn't sure what area to put this in but I see it as a traction problem and wonder if others have noticed this as well. I have Michelin Pilot Powers on my '01 with about 1,000 miles on them. I live in San Antonio and up til last week we were having 90+ degree days. Over the last week its been dropping in the 60's and almost 50's at night. I have noticed that my traction in the turns has decreased dramatically. Last night I was squirelly as hell in the turns as it feels like the rear is skipping out. I checked the air pressure and it was still at 45lbs front and rear.

Now I know that the roads are colder and that along with the colder air will keep the tires from heating up as quick but after an hour of riding it still felt uneasy in the turns. Straight ahead acceleration caused slippage as well. I know the bike was running stronger due to the colder air but thats not causing the feeling in the turns.  These are supposed to be soft tires and I agree when the weather is hot they grip! Have any of you experienced tires not heating up or staying warm? I know it gets colder than it is here but I never see anyone complaining. Any thoughts?

Your tire pressure set at 45psi sounds too high.

Try running about 36psi. I run 34psi in the front, and 38psi in the rear.

(audial @ Oct. 20 2006,10:52) 45lbs front and rear.
crazy.gif
Whoa... brotha... how low can you go?? Bring those pressures down!

Try them with 38-40 lbs. Mine actually hook decent when it is cool outside, AFTER I get about 2-3 miles on them.

Lower your tire pressure, max pressure for those tires are 42PSI.

The lower your tire pressure, the larger the contact patch, the shorter your warm-up time. Don't go lower than 36PSI initially until you get used to how a tire reacts at lower pressures.

Remember in winter time the roads and air temp will remain cold. You have to push your tires harder in the winter to reach a sticky temp than the summer. And if you stop pushing them, they will cool down quicker than if it was summer time. Always use more caution about keeping your tires hot in the winter, its a part of winter riding.

Definitely less grip, in my post "Ride Report" recently I forgot to mention that after it dropped 35 degrees in an hour and I pulled in a convenience store to warm up, I noticed a big difference.
When pulling out on the highway, an oncoming car was a little closer and faster than I initially thought, so while leaned over about 25 degrees off vertical I laid on a bit too much throttle for the cold tires, the rear slid out and I immediately eased off, stayed up but I definitely left more than ONE darkie that time.
SHOCKED.gif
Scared the crap outta me...

I run Qualifiers at about 36-38 lbs cold.

who told you to pump them to 45? Don't listen to that person anymore.

I find that anything less than 38 on the rear feels kinda squirelly to me... But you need to find your comfort zone with tire pressure's... While taking into account the temp and what kind of riding your gonna be doing...
Good luck.

Great response! Thanks. I had asked several people about the pressure they were running. I was running about 35 and it felt a little squirelly and was told I was too low and it should be 45-48. I will definitely drop it. I do always ride two up with the girlfriend, but she only weighs about 95 lbs. I'm about 230lbs dressed so my only concern would be if 36lbs would be too low with 330 lbs load. I'll drop it now and see how it does. Thanks again for all the response!

(audial @ Oct. 22 2006,18:46) Great response! Thanks. I had asked several people about the pressure they were running. I was running about 35 and it felt a little squirelly and was told I was too low and it should be 45-48. I will definitely drop it. I do always ride two up with the girlfriend, but she only weighs about 95 lbs. I'm about 230lbs dressed so my only concern would be if 36lbs would be too low with 330 lbs load. I'll drop it now and see how it does. Thanks again for all the response!
Try 40 psi and make sure to give them a little more time to warm up in colder conditions
wink.gif

Less traction is normal. My 600 will spin the tires in the cold. My busa, well it is just fun to ride when cold.

You will be just fine with 36lbs riding 2 up with 330lbs.

I am 340 by myself and when I am using the powers, I run 34 rear and 36 front.

OK... I lowered both to 40 psi (warm). Call me crazy (well, I dont think i am, not clinically..) but I can feel a difference in the twisties.. feels like the tire is "hunting" for traction. I'll drop them to 38 next time out and see how that is. I think I'll go a little at a time to get the feel and go down to about 36 in all.

Has anyone else noticed that the Powers have an actual step to the curve of the tire when going from middle to the sides? Is this to give it more contact during lean or to "throw" the tire over and in essence make for quicker "flipping"?

Back