Tire Wear Question

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Specifically Bridgestone BT002RS compared to Pilot Powers, and Corsa IIIs. The Bridgestones are somewhat cheaper for starters and reports I've read here say the grip and feel as good as PPS or C3s. But will they last as long or is there a trade off on price and wear?
Thanks.. Tom

I like the Perilli Diablo Corso III...The rear is dual composite and lasts a long time . I love it because I seem to get about twice the wear as the stock tire and it still works well enought on twisties that I can usually keep up. It is also one of the more inexpensive tires that are rated for Busas.

wear on most comparable brands of tires to the ones you've listed are similar. One thing to remember is that there is a correlation between how hard and fast you ride and wear rates.

For example, us trackday and racer guys can go through a brand new set of tires after 500-800 miles (2 1/2 to 3 trackdays for me). I've actually roasted a brand new set of Dunlop Qualifiers in one trackday. I'll be well past the wear bars on the sides but the center has +95% tread remaining. For the track, that would be dangerously worn. for the street, it's a perfect take-off to sell/give to other riders who aren't as concerned with twisties and agressive cornering.

For the bang for your buck, The 002's are the way to go. It's about as close to racing compounds as you'll get. Plus many of the racers I know who are running them say that they run comparable lap times to their race compounds.

OK, that's what I was wondering. I do a lot of backwoods twisties and tires never seem to last too long. So in the interest of economy (the bike keeps me broke) I try to balance grip vs. wear vs. cost. Think I'll give the BT002s a try and hopefully they'll last an oil change.
This is the result of 3000 mi. on a Corsa III on the last bike. No wheelies, burnouts, or such foolishness, just the backroads..

Tire..7_23_07_001__Medium_.jpg

Best tire for the $$$ of the ones you mentioned...the stick better and the price is right.

the way that tire looks worn in the middle and not on the edges seems like a nice long lasting touring tire might be a thought to consider.

The shiny chain rollers and that tire match perfectly. Bad accident waiting to happen.

I can only suggest from the looks of your tire and your input, is to try using your front brake and avoid speed braking as much as possible when slowing down in town or on str8 aways. Using lower gears to slow your bike down will eat up the rear tire fast,especially if your doing it all the time.

Using lower gears to slow your bike down from high rpms will eat up the rear tire fast,especially if your doing it all the time.

I seldom if ever downshift above 4000 rpm, it's just the usual situation, my bikes are everyday riders. We have a lot of good twisties around but you have to go a certain amount of straight type everyday road to get there. If your not at the race track and don't live right on Deals Gap it's impossible to wear the sides out before the middle and live very long. Trying to slide the bike in corners enough to wear them like race tires on country backroads full of farmers on tractors, deer, dogs, tourists, dead animal carcasses, gravel, etc.. is just a bit much for my 50 year old ass.
That picture is kind of deceptive, Corsa III is to the wear bars on both sides, and that's the only time I've ran one that deep in the middle. Knew it was close when we left but from the time the first little bit of the belt showed through, it only took 40 miles (of very conservative riding) for it to be as you see it. I replaced it the next day.
Thanks for the input everyone, though I still don't know what I'm going to get. Some dual compound sport tourers just might be the ticket. Thanks again.. Tom
ThumbsUp.gif

I run the AVON storms. 7000-8000 miles on the rear and they have plenty of stick for spirited back roading.

My Bridgestone worn at 5000 miles...the Pirelli are most the same...depend how you use the breaks...put some on front wheel too...don't forget...will last longer
thumb_up.gif

My Bridgestone worn at 5000 miles...the Pirelli are most the same...depend how you use the breaks...put some on front wheel too...don't forget...will last longer  
thumb_up.gif
I use about 95% front brake. Use the rear in parking lots and for a parking brake at stop lights. The 3000 mile wear for sport tires on big bikes is pretty common in these parts due to our chip & seal road surfaces.
Another thing I read about a lot is "getting 2 rear tires for 1 front", I've never got that off either thanks to the cheap & seal. Half way through the second rear the front is ragged and V shaped, making vibrating and growling feelings if you push it at all.
That's why I'm looking at the "bang for the buck" issue. I hate the dead feeling of sport touring tires but something like Metzler Z6s will last upwards of 5000 miles (I hope) and work well enough. Probably don't need sport tires until I get it resprung for my 200lbs anyway. Don't like it but that's probably the route I'll take for now.
Thanks again..  Tom

Back