Tire wear question

purplebusa

Registered
Hubby's 05 was in for the 4000 mile service and the state inspection yesterday. Got a call saying he needs a new rear tire, not enough tread to pass. Well, he said go ahead but he wants to see the tire. It's a Dunlop tire with 4000 miles, just the middle was a bit worn. It's not like he does wheelies to wear the tire down. A new tire every 4000 miles?
He had a Metzeler put on, let's see how that does. I thought I had seen posts here with members getting 8000 miles per set. Am I expecting too much?
Barbara

From what I have heard 4000 from a dunlop or a battleax (stock) is pretty good. I put 900 miles a week or so on my bike. I just had a set of Avons put on. There are a couple of guys that say they are getting 8000 miles out of those with moderate to aggressive riding. I have about 400 miles on the new tires and they look brand new. They stick well too.

Don

PS. I am taking pictures of the rear tire every 500 miles to keep a photo record of the wear.

I got 7600 outta the stock tires. I've gotten barely over 3000 outta my Metzeler M1 and it's time for a new one.

I guess we will see how the Metzeler does. I have done pretty well with Metzelers over a few years, but that was on a cruiser. if he needs another one in 2 months he'll throw a fit.
I have heard about Avons, might be the way to go next time.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I am at 2700 miles and the dealer told me to change the rear...how did you get up to 4000?!?!?
sad.gif

I hope he isnt BSing me. The wear bars are close but not quite flush with the surface. Wear is mostly in the middle. The problem is that once you show cord - it disintegrates very rapidly...

Dealer also said that my tire will not pass inspection. I wonder if any crashes from this point on will void insurance coverage because of negligence on my part...hmmm...

His wear bars were almost even with the higher tread, and yep it would not pass inspection. How he got 4000 miles, no wheelies. He did those on my Busa, before I got new tires!!

Wheelies dont wear tires. Ok they do but not as bad as the following. Hard on the throttle can spin the rear. Major wear. Really depends on how you ride. And dont forget braking. Hard on the rear can drag the tire. Also heavy wear.

I go thru tires in 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

It all depends on how hard you hit it.

If you ride like a granny
tounge.gif
you can get 10,000+ out of your front
wow.gif

ohhhhhhhh I'm gonna get it for that one
laugh.gif

If you go to Sports Touring tires you'll get alot more miles out of'em. And yea, 8000 is not impossible. BUT, if you want max traction in the twisties, you need to stick with the stickys but they don't give much mileage. Stock tires are designed for a average performance between mileage and performance. Depending; on how you ride should show you which tire to buy. Me, I get Sports Touring for the handling and performance I need, along with the mileage. And YES some other Busa owner can carve alot faster than me on his stickys
wink.gif

Hey Charlesbusa, I am a granny.
biggrin.gif

It was my husband who only got 4000 miles out of the stock tires. He's a little more aggressive than me. This granny might make it to 4100 miles on a rear tire.

Hey Charlesbusa, I am a granny.
biggrin.gif

It was my husband who only got 4000 miles out of the stock tires. He's a little more aggressive than me. This granny might make it to 4100 miles on a rear tire.
Actually I was
poke.gif
VaBusa
tounge.gif

But she hasn't read this post yet, 'cause I'd be in the corner right now
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I got 5,000 miles out of my rear stock Bridgeston. BUT---I probably went about 1,000 too many. I but a new 056 on this time and then will replace both front & rear. I'm too am looking at the Avon's--guys I talk to love 'em-good mileage, good wet & dry.

I got a little over 3500 with the OEM BT 56 The M-1 metzlers I'm gettin about 2500 the Busa eats back tires like I drink Rum and Cokes I'm sure if I rode like an angel I could get 4000-8000 miles but its real iffy for ME to do it haha hope this helps

<!--EDIT|onerabidshark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153148198 -->

Back