Tire Sealants

mctrull

Registered
I am trying to find out if anyone has used the Ride-On tire sealant and if there are any known problems stemming from using such a product.

oooh, yeah... that just sounds like a dangerous idea unless you are desperate and riding under 30 miles per hour to the nearest gas station.... it that a flat-repair kinda thingy?

No, this is a mixture you inject in the tire and it says there forever. Presumably, when you get a puncture the flow of air brings the mixture to the puncture which seals it automatically.

I've heard it may create balancing problems for the tire.

Also, I personally would like to know there is a puncture, and I would proceed to safely get home and fix it properly by a professional. If the problem is masked, you may not know about it and keep riding, at high speeds, not knowing you have a puncture.

Sounds like a good idea for a commuter bike, but not for high performance bike.

I prefer to have a simple repair kit with me. Had to do it once right on the road - worked just fine.

Igor,
The manufacturer claims that it does not impose a balance problem because it distributes itself through-out the tire and because of the even spread it helps with balance. I don't know about that in the case of a performance bike, sounds kinda of iffy. I have the same issues as you with it but, I am all for not having a flat while moving.
What kind of repair kit do you carry? I try to be prepared for any situation, to the extent of what will fit under the hump.

I've been using Ride-On tire sealant in the tube type tires on my V Star 650 Classic several months now but only because tube types are not roadside pluggable.  Ride-On says sealant is good for punctures up to 1/8 inch.  I consider its use a risk reduction measure only.  No balance or handling problems, but the tires seem harder at speed.  Bumps are more pronounced.  I have reduced the tire pressure by 1 lb from recommended to compensate.  Helps a little.

For my Busa, I have plugs and CO2 filler cartridges for it's tubeless tires if a roadside repair is necessary.  I positively, absolutely would not put Ride-On in my Busa tires.  No telling what that extra 9 to 11 ounces of stuff inside the tire would do to the tires and bike handling at over 100 MPH.

If I had a bike that tires lasted over 5000 miles on I'd probably consider it. As things are there isn't enough time between replacements for the people who change my tires to forget about the 10 ounces of slime they have to deal with.
rock.gif

As is I carry a CO2 filler & plugs in the tank bag along with a fully charged cell phone.

The main thing I am trying to avoid is a blow out from a puncture at a speed that could be fatal if control is lost due to sudden deflation. I know this is a risk but, there should be a alternative like there is with cars. They make performance tires that have run flat technology for cars, why not on bikes? It would seem to be much more important to develop them for bikes first.
sad.gif

Don't use Green Slim. A friend of mine use it once he had a nail in his tire and it all bleed out while we were riding and made a really big mess.

hey guyz, tell me more about the plugs & co2 plz? ? ? I coulda used some today.

You can pick up a plug kit for radial tires at about any part store and CO2 cartridges at bicycle and motorcycle shops.The CO2 allows you to inflate your tire right then and takes up very little room but, the plugs are not safe at high speeds. Use them to fix it and get it home or to the garage but, get that tire either patched or replaced. Insurance companies will not pay for damage from a plugged tire failure but, they will a patched tire. They make a new type of patch that has a small rubber plug that fills the puncture hole and is supossedly better than regular patches. I saw them at Pep Boys.:)

Yep pretty much what MCTRULL said. Its a little kit with plugs, a plugger, and usually two CO2 cartriges. If you get a Kit get the kit that has the LARGE CO2 cartriges. I've read several reviews in Cycleworld, Rider, and other cycle mags most of the kits get high marks. The high marks are typically based on ease of use, performance -tire repair ability, cost, and covenience. All have agreed its a worthwhile invest, but theirs a split on whether you should continue to ride with a plug beyond the nearest gas station. 6 in one hand HALF A DOZEN in the other. Personally I don't even like thinking about doing triple digits on tire I know is plugged. I'ld rather spend the $120 bucks for a new tire and know the machine is in the best condition I could have it in.

They make a new type of patch that has a small rubber plug that fills the puncture hole and is supossedly better than regular patches. I saw them at Pep Boys.:)
Thanx guyz, I have read that no plug should ever be used as a permanant fix, and most mc shops wont even plug a tire. BTW how much is everyone spending on tire changing? I did my last one myself and had to cut the wire bead, took about 4 hrs struggling. Only 1 shop in town will touch a tire thats not theirs and they want $18! I used to get one on & off in Hilo for $5! ahhhhhh the good ol days...

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1070905189 -->

I usually pay 15-17 a tire for removal, mount, & balance. Depends on whether or not I buy a tire from them I think. They will not say that is what it is but, that is all I know to explain the difference. I don't really have the tools, know how, and patience to do my own.:D

Back