Tire question...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
I have about ~2500 miles on my stock BT56 tires. Rear is showing decent amount of wear and maybe good for another 2000 tops.

It's an alright tire but not confidence inspiring (i.e. I don't trust it when things get serious).

QUESTION:
Since you should always run the same tire front and rear and the front has almost twice the lifespan of the rear, did most of you run another BT56 and then change both f/r next time?

Reason why is I was considering the AVON tires and they have a promotion this month where you can buy the rear AV60 ($137) and get a free AV59 front, plus $18 shipping. Figured I'd buy them now and have them put on later.

I go for that deal, where is it
rock.gif

Wow your going to get 5500 miles out of a 56J ? Dayum! And the Avon deal sounds good.

Most people say run the same brand/model tire front and rear.

But I was told by respected bike shop that it's not necessary.

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 25 2006,15:38) Wow your going to get 5500 miles out of a 56J ? Dayum! And the Avon deal sounds good.
Need to check your arithmetic there GB.
2000 + 2500 = 4500
wink.gif

(Busa Dreamin @ Sep. 25 2006,18:43) Most people say run the same brand/model tire front and rear.

I am not sure that I would continue respecting that bike shop....
biggrin.gif

When I bought my Dunlops I was told that it's ok to use a different front/rear... but I didn't listen to that and just bought both front/rear Dun Qualifiers. I let the dealer toss my stock rear but I made sure to keep my stock front in case of an emergency where I might need to use it again (since it was still in great shape).

I think using the same front/rear inspires more confidence.... whether it really matters or not....

I swaped both even though the Donlop on the front still had 1500-2000 miles left in it.

I ran a PP on the rear and when it wore out I changed both to PPs. They're both radials so tracking wasn't a problem. Just don't mix a bias ply with a radial.

(Shanling @ Sep. 25 2006,18:45)
(Busa Dreamin @ Sep. 25 2006,18:43) Most people say run the same brand/model tire front and rear.

I am not sure that I would continue respecting that bike shop....
biggrin.gif
As long as they are BOTH the same type tires...sport/front and rear or touring/front and rear...you'll be fine
wink.gif

(Busa Dreamin @ Sep. 25 2006,17:43) Most people say run the same brand/model tire front and rear.

I think respected bike shop smoke crack.

Simple physics- if tread compounds have different friction coefficients, one or the other will break loose on a corner before the other. I do NOT want that to happen, I prefer both tires roll all the way around a curve.
smile.gif

P.S.- Bought my bike used with a Battlax on front, and they put a new Qualifier on the back before they put it on the showroom floor. I immediately bought a new Qualy for the front and had them install it.

(Over_Easy @ Sep. 25 2006,17:48)
(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 25 2006,15:38) Wow your going to get 5500 miles out of a 56J ? Dayum! And the Avon deal sounds good.
Need to check your arithmetic there GB.
2000 + 2500 = 4500
wink.gif
hahahaha !! Thanks 4500 is still GTG!

(Busa Dreamin @ Sep. 25 2006,15:43) Most people say run the same brand/model tire front and rear.

It's not necesary to run the same brand front and rear. I had heard this too, but didn't believe it so I replaced the worn BT 56 with a Michelin Pilot Power.

The handling is sooooo much improved! That was about 1800 miles ago and no problems
super.gif

Go for the Avon deal and replace both ! And while your at it, where is that deal
rock.gif
, is it a dealer deal or an Avon deal ? I ask, because if it's an Avon deal, I'll order two NOW  
jump9.gif

Just thought I would throw this in here. I almost lost my bike today in a right hand (15mph posted) corner. I felt both the front and the rear start to slip out on me as I was midway through the corner and leaned over pretty far. I was rolling the throttle as I always do and as they both started to slide, I kind of steered into the slide or to the left and luckily didn't lose it. I came up to a light and there was a guy on a Harley who had been following me who asked if I did it on purpose! I told him "H3LL NO!" and that I almost peed my pants when it happened. He thought it looked cool. This was on my fairly new Pilot Powers. Since I put them on I have read posts about people losing their bikes in corners with these tires and this was the first time that they slipped on me. The Pirellie Super Corsa's that they replaced never slipped like that on me! Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Back