TIRE PRESSURE

hionbusa

Registered
The factory recommended tire pressure on the busa is 42psi front and rear.

I have been noticing that 42psi was too much pressure to allow the tire compound to bend hence warm up the tire.

I use MICHELIN PILOT POWERS.

By deflating to 32psi , the tire warms up a lot quicker allowing for a better grip .

Depending on the road temp , one should add or reduce pressure depending on how the tire looks like.

Take your gloves off and touch the tire after riding for at least 20 minutes. If its cold, deflate some air. If its way too chunky and starting to turn bluish add some air.

Its always good to carry a tire gauge with you .

Keep in mind that if you use your bike strictly in the highway . Its best to keep you tires at 42psi for a better longevity .

Fellows,feel free to share any tips or recommendations .

Ive always run 42psi  my tires, my fronts feather if they are below that and my rears get unstable in the corners.

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: "sp"|1138821568 -->

I don't go below 34psi, the handling just feels wrong if they are too soft.

But I agree, tires will warm up faster at lower psi.  
biggrin.gif

I generally run 35-37psi in the canyons.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138824231 -->

42 psi is based on best pressures for all around riding. And Yea, lower will give more traction (because of higher temps) but wear will go up. 42 psi is for those of us who do a lot of road work just riding from here to there, not dragging a knee, or doing 9 sec 1/4 milers  
race.gif

I USED TO DRAG MY KNEE WITH 42PSI FRONT AND REAR. I ALSO RAN A SUB 10 SECOND PASS WITH THE SAME PSI.

<!--EDIT|JROCK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138825295 -->

Ive always run 42psi  my tires, my fronts feather if they are below that and my rears get unstable in the corners.
Please describe feathering and unstable in a bit more detail. The dealer has always set the stock tires at 38 rear and 36 front. I have left them that way, because 42 seemed so high to me.

They seem to ride OK, but maybe there is something I should be noticing if I were paying more attention?

Anyone feel free to chime in. I've always felt a little uneasy about running them that much lower than Zuke says.

Please describe feathering and unstable in a bit more detail. The dealer has always set the stock tires at 38 rear and 36 front. I have left them that way, because 42 seemed so high to me.

They seem to ride OK, but maybe there is something I should be noticing if I were paying more attention?

Anyone feel free to chime in.  I've always felt a little uneasy about running them that much lower than Zuke says.
I didn't feel an adverse change in handling until 32-33psi.  But I keep it closer to 37psi cold. But that's aggressive low speed cornering in the canyons.  For 130mph dragging knee(such as on a track day), someone else will have to chime in.

disclaimer-----my opinion  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138828379 -->

Anyone feel free to chime in.  I've always felt a little uneasy about running them that much lower than Zuke says.
Feathering= the leading edge of each rain groove will be higher then the trialing edge ( the tire feels bumpy when you run your hand over it)
Unstable= the rear does not track predictably ( feels squishy when leaned over)

Too low in the front will feather the tire.  You can see and FEEL a tire when it gets this way.  The tire wears uneven along the grooves.  If you feel the tire you WILL be able to tell if it has happened to yours.  38f  35r when cold out. 40f 38r when the roads warm up.

<!--EDIT|hbr-06busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138827823 -->

Feathering= the leading edge of each rain groove will be higher then the trialing edge [/QUOTE]
Is this also known as "Cupping" or is that a different malady?

42 will give you a better fall into the turns and for me 42/42 is just great. The bike just flicks better on all axis . I feel fully in control, with full feel of the tires (that's feeling what they're doing) all the time . And zooming through the twisties at night after riding 15 hours, feeling and rythem is what your really want  
race.gif

Ive always run 42psi my tires, my fronts feather if they are below that and my rears get unstable in the corners.

Anyone feel free to chime in. I've always felt a little uneasy about running them that much lower than Zuke says.
Feathering= the leading edge of each rain groove will be higher then the trialing edge ( the tire feels bumpy when you run your hand over it)
Unstable= the rear does not track predictably ( feels squishy when leaned over)
I'll have to check this out. Thanks!

I use 36-38 front and 34-36 rear it just depends on the conditions that day....for the track (road course) 31 front and 30 rear
wink.gif

Most of us never bring our street tires up to optimum temp on the streets. Street tires have a lower optimun temp than do race tires. Most street tires will function best at around 125 degrees or slightly higher. Unless you are riding really agressively with continuous hard accelleration and hard braking such as you would do on the track, you never get the temp up to 125 degrees unless the pavement is very hot.

If I am looking for optimum traction, I look for the temperature difference between cold and hot to be 4 degrees. If I check the temp cold and set the tire pressure to say,,,,,,, 30 PSI, when I get in from a twenty minute session on the track, I'm looking for an 0ptimum temp of 34 degrees. During a gingerly ride with your buddies, your tire temp will never reach the tires optimum temp unless you lower the air pressure to the point you can build heat from flexing the sidewalls. That's not a good way to heat the tire. Most street tires will give maximum traction between 29 and 32 PSI.

If you are looking for longivity from your tires, run them at the manufacturer's recommended PSI. By dropping 30% on the air pressure you can shorten the life span of your tire by up to 48%.

Running the manufacturer's recommended pressure will also give better fuel mileage than running lower PSI.

The factory recommended tire pressure on the busa is 42psi front and rear.

I have been noticing that 42psi was too much pressure to allow the tire compound to bend hence warm up the tire.

I use MICHELIN PILOT POWERS.

By deflating to  32psi , the tire warms up a lot quicker allowing for a better  grip  .

Depending on the road temp , one should add or reduce pressure depending on how the tire looks like.

Take your gloves off and touch the tire after riding for at least 20 minutes. If its cold, deflate some air. If its way too chunky and starting to turn bluish  add some air.

Its always good to carry a tire gauge with you .  

Keep in mind that if you use your bike strictly in the  highway . Its best to keep you tires at 42psi  for a better longevity .

Fellows,feel free to share any tips or recommendations .
"The factory recommended tire pressure on the busa is 42psi front and rear."

yes...it is.

"I have been noticing that 42psi was too much pressure to allow the tire compound to bend hence warm up the tire."

what tha?... how exactly does one "notice" tire compound not bending enough?
laugh.gif

"I use MICHELIN PILOT POWERS."

Hmmm...so do I...and I love'em...been running a set for 2,400 miles now.

"By deflating to 32psi , the tire warms up a lot quicker allowing for a better grip ."

Translation: Tires "Melting" due to under-inflation...uhem....stick better?

"Depending on the road temp , one should add or reduce pressure depending on how the tire looks like."

that's odd....I've gotten tires pretty dang hot on some real cold roads...without screwing around with improper air pressure.

"Take your gloves off and touch the tire after riding for at least 20 minutes. If its cold, deflate some air. If its way too chunky and starting to turn bluish add some air."

chunky?....bluish?....dude.
laugh.gif
putcher glove back on and stick with the air gage.
laugh.gif

"Fellows,feel free to share any tips or recommendations ."

OOOOooookay....here's my tips and recommendations..

1. Never run michelin pilot powers under 40psi as they are made of a synthetic rubber that is derived straight from michelins latest motogp compounds and are 6% softer than the closest class competitor and running less than 40psi will achieve the following...

A. Greatly decreased tread life.

B. Squirmy Handling up front on hard fast corner entry closely followed with squirmy handling in the rear on hard fast corner exits.

2. Low air pressure induces "over-heating" which causes the softening agents in the rubber compound to gas off more quickly....which in turn prematurly gives your tires..."that wooden feeling".

and finally?....

3. DO NOT!!! follow this mans advice on "Tire Management".

and maybe with our thoughts, prayers and posts?....he'll live to survive himself.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Question....why do racers run lower air pressure in their tires?

Back