Tire pressure

I think people don't always think the tire pressure issue through. Low pressures are for traction, which is critical in most track situations. Tracks are smooth (relatively speaking) and fast. If you have ever wrestled your Busa with 30 psi in the tires through the pits the low speed handling is shot - slow, mushy and difficult. It's more than just wearing the tire faster. Also, a low pressure tire will follow every bump in the road, ridge, tar snake, etc. Low pressure tires don't perform as well in rain either, as the flattening of the tire closes the tread and water is not pumped out from under the contact patch as well. There is also feel. A low pressure tire will transmit absolutely everything back through the bars. That's what you need on the track, not so much on a bumpy, uneven backroad. Also egos aside, most people can't put that much heat in a tire - especially on the road.

Tires are made to work at certain pressures. A high mile, road oriented tire is not going to become a sport tire just because it has no air in it. A tire has several parts to it: A sidewall and 2 or 3 zones in the contact patch. Running pressures outside the design specs for a tire may or may not improve performance or safety.

So, my point is this: You should run multiple pressures. Set the bike up for your specific ride that day, the weather, air temps, expected road conditions, etc. When you buy a tire think about how you will run it, tires are actually very specialized for PSI and applications (road, track). This is not an "I always run this pressure" sort of thing.
Wow . . . that was quite the explaination there Arch, nothing I didn't already know but was so good to be reminded of all those aspects of tyre function and the technical aspect also. Thanks!

I think people don't always think the tire pressure issue through. Low pressures are for traction, which is critical in most track situations. Tracks are smooth (relatively speaking) and fast. If you have ever wrestled your Busa with 30 psi in the tires through the pits the low speed handling is shot - slow, mushy and difficult. It's more than just wearing the tire faster. Also, a low pressure tire will follow every bump in the road, ridge, tar snake, etc. Low pressure tires don't perform as well in rain either, as the flattening of the tire closes the tread and water is not pumped out from under the contact patch as well. There is also feel. A low pressure tire will transmit absolutely everything back through the bars. That's what you need on the track, not so much on a bumpy, uneven backroad. Also egos aside, most people can't put that much heat in a tire - especially on the road.

Tires are made to work at certain pressures. A high mile, road oriented tire is not going to become a sport tire just because it has no air in it. A tire has several parts to it: A sidewall and 2 or 3 zones in the contact patch. Running pressures outside the design specs for a tire may or may not improve performance or safety.

So, my point is this: You should run multiple pressures. Set the bike up for your specific ride that day, the weather, air temps, expected road conditions, etc. When you buy a tire think about how you will run it, tires are actually very specialized for PSI and applications (road, track). This is not an "I always run this pressure" sort of thing.
HI. I never go lower than 7 lbs.

follow the 42 psi cold in the rear on my gen 2 , and it shows the best tire life
I agree. Also works just fine for most situations.

I have used as low as 25 psi F/R in Pirelli Super Corsas. Those tires have nice stiff sidewalls and behave well with low pressure. They don't last long no matter what I do so might as well have fun with them. Low pressure in other tires makes the handling pretty squirrely especially when cold. My weight is 210 lbs.

Back