Tire poll

OldMan

Registered
I will be in the market for my first set of replacement tires in about 1000 miles. I did a search for tire polls and came back with a lot of results but nothing like what I was hoping. Do you guys think we should get a poll going on replacement tires/opinions so We can gather All opinions in one spot and make it easy to analyze?

Go for it, but you have different needs among members. The type of riding will vary, the bikes will vary.

Best advice is post up what type of riding you do(or want to do) and then decide on what is suggested.

To be honest,there really isn't any bad tires on the market,just tires that suit different needs.

Prepare for a can of worms opened also.... But you will probably be able to narrow your selection down to you needs with the can opened. :laugh:

As stated earlier the type of riding you do will drasticly effect what kind of tire is recomended. What do you need the tire to do?

If performance is your deciding factor you can do no better than the Dunlop Q2.

Exactly what others said... And judging by your registration time, you already put a pretty decent mileage - I am guessing around or close to 4k miles. And I am also guessing you like longer trips, and ride hard on occasion.

Just got to say, loving my Q2's. But they are so soft that I am constantly picking rocks and other debris out of them after a good run. But that 5 mins of doing so..well worth it.

I am 190 lbs, ride solo full-time and use the Busa for commute and weekend twisties (no track, no drag). Roads are pretty well-paved and weather is generally sunny year-round. I put a premium on LONGEVITY (not much on performance) and after reading the TONS of polls/threads/posts here about tires, I bought Pirelli Angels.
P.S. Michelin PR2 & Avon Storms were the other contenders but I was able to buy the ANGELS for the lowest price shipped (front and rear): $220.

Exactly what others said... And judging by your registration time, you already put a pretty decent mileage - I am guessing around or close to 4k miles. And I am also guessing you like longer trips, and ride hard on occasion.

exactly! 3600 miles currently, that is scary!

exactly! 3600 miles currently, that is scary!

You're riding dayum hard. I'm pretty aggressive and get 5 - 6 K on my Avon Storms and have never had issues with hook up. Another factor is money. Like mentioned above, once you figure out your needs, then it's a matter of what's on sale.

I have a Q2 front(sport tire), and a Roadsmart rear(sport touring), per TufBusa's advice.
It's a happy medium with a front tire that you can be confident will stick, as well as great traction from the rear. The rear doesn't feel exactly the same as a full on sport tire, but sticks good none the less, and the best part is that the middle isn't burning up on my way to the curves!
The sport/sport touring combo works the same with the Bridgestone BTO 16/23, and the Pilots, I personally am not a fan of either but that's just me. I'de be confident in the BTOs, but after several Pilot powers, pures, I don't care much for Michelin bike tires anymore. They never handled well for me unless the psi was just right for the riding style at that particular moment. Not very versitile in my opinion. Opinion! There's the can of worms opened!
Plenty of folks can outride me, but I can drag a decent knee occasionally, and the Dunlops still look and perform like new after 1000 miles(I know, haven't been out as much as I'de like).
Just make sure they're good and hot and you can rail along and still get decent mileage. I was getting about 2k from a Pilot rear, and under 3k for a front. The Pilots were already showing major wear at 1k miles. The Dunlops are great, you just won't get alot of miles from a Q2 rear.:beerchug: hence the Roadsmart.

I also run 36/36 psi cold most of the time.

SDC11484.jpg

SDC11472.jpg

You're riding dayum hard. I'm pretty aggressive and get 5 - 6 K on my Avon Storms and have never had issues with hook up. Another factor is money. Like mentioned above, once you figure out your needs, then it's a matter of what's on sale.

I've never gotten more than 4 K to the wear bars. But, I have a heavy wrist! I think the big problem is that high speed tires have to be thin to avoid throwing chunks at high centrifugal speed. There's not that much to wear to begin with.

Here's my 2 cents............At 500 miles, with my first oil change I went with Q2's. They TRANSFORMED the bike. You gotta pay to play. You're not riding a 250. You're pushing ~170 HP and ~100 Ft/Lbs of torque. Tires are the worst area to take a shortcut with. I will be using Q2's on all my bikes until something better comes out. They give a good balance of grip and wear.

Q2's or Bt016's or Bt003's are my choices..... Currently running Q2's on all of my rides. I wore out a set of Q2's on a busa in 1300miles, but that was hard cornering miles. Got a second set on the big girl now and still happy with my choice. I had the pilot pures, squirmed a lot and never had a sure feeling with them.

I wore out a set of Q2's on a busa in 1300miles, but that was hard cornering miles.

Man I want to go riding with you! For the level of performance the Q2 gives you I thought they actual last pretty well.

I'm sure the the busa is harder on tires than my old liter bike but I ran a set of Q2's for about 1000 miles of track days and then put the tire on the busa where i've ran it for about 500 miles or so and I still have enough tread on there for street riding. Admittedly I don't rail corners on the busa like I do at the track though.

Where is the poll?

Anyway, I've been running Michelin Pilot Road2's and love them. Prolly on my 4th or 5th set. I've never had a problem with them. They handle like a sport tire, with the grip of a sport touring tire. And the wet traction is better. And I ride pretty aggressive in the corners as well. I typically get about 6500-7000 out of a rear, and 6000-6500 out of a front.

Back