Tire comparison (Not your typical "best tire" thread)

Zoinks!

Registered
Hey guys, first of all, I'd just like to say I'm back! It's been a few years since I've posted on here, but I finally got around to getting a new bike, so here I am. It's not a busa, but her little sister. I picked up an 09 gixxer 1000 a couple months ago. It only had 4300 miles it when I bought it, but it's come time for some new tires and since I've been out of the game for a couple years I've noticed some new models in my search. I was going to put a set of BT016s on it (had them on the busa several years ago and really liked them, and that's what's on the 1000 now). But when I was searching for tires I came across Battlax S-20, which seems to be pretty similar to the BT016. I particularly like the fact that it supposedly warms up quickly. Has anyone here used both of these tires and can you tell me what you like/don't like about each one and the differences you noticed?

Not a Bridgestone fan, but Dunlop Q2's are awesome on an 09 gsxr1000. 3 of my friends have/had them.
I love riding the 09/11. An 05/06 or hopefully 09/11 gsxr1k will be my next bike(depends on price, and money left over for mods).
Another friend has Q3's on his 07 CBR1k, they stick great...aside from it being an underpowered Honda:laugh:
There are some good deals around on Q3's now too.
Congrats on an awesome bike.

The 16's are on SV 650 now and I've run the 20's before, both are similar to me. The q2's are great but I only got 1500 miles on the hayabusa, but it was a fun 1500.

We've run them a few times on the track and they perform well. Can't speak to street milage, but you'll have plenty of grip.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a fan of the Q2 just because of the mileage issue. If I only rode a few thousand miles a year then sure. But I ride a lot more than that. There are many times that I ride several hundred miles in a day. I need something that's gonna last at least 4000 miles. I got about 6000 out of the BT016 on my busa and the ones on the 1k right now have a little over 5000 on them. I think I'll give the S-20 a shot and see what kind of mileage I can get out of them. From the reviews I've been reading they should be pretty close to the 16 on mileage. I'll update this thread once I have some more info on them.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a fan of the Q2 just because of the mileage issue. If I only rode a few thousand miles a year then sure. But I ride a lot more than that. There are many times that I ride several hundred miles in a day. I need something that's gonna last at least 4000 miles. I got about 6000 out of the BT016 on my busa and the ones on the 1k right now have a little over 5000 on them. I think I'll give the S-20 a shot and see what kind of mileage I can get out of them. From the reviews I've been reading they should be pretty close to the 16 on mileage. I'll update this thread once I have some more info on them.

The Q2/Q3 doesn't last as long because it's a softer, better gripping tire.
But they will last a lot longer on the 1k than the Busa, as the 1k is almost 150lbs lighter and has less low rpm torque.:beerchug:

I think im around 3500 with the q3s and replacing them now. Cant be a great tire for 212 shipped front and rear! (After rebate) motomummy.com

Actually, the 09 1000 is only 31.5lbs lighter than my 06 busa was. The busa was 478, the 1k is 446.5.

Have run S20's on my busa. Good grip on the tire, but burned through the front and rear in about 1500 miles. Was not happy with the durability of that set. To Bridgestone's defense, it was a combination of end of season/beginning of season.

Guess I didn't learn my lesson- currently have a set on the TLR. Again, good grip on the tire, just worrying about longevity.

I have been running s20s for the last couple years. I normally get 4000-4300 out of rears. Fronts will usually make it 2-3 rear changes. But the last rear I put on only lasted about 3000, so I'm not sure what happened with that one.... nothing has really changed as far as set up or riding style.

Have run S20's on my busa. Good grip on the tire, but burned through the front and rear in about 1500 miles. Was not happy with the durability of that set. To Bridgestone's defense, it was a combination of end of season/beginning of season.

Guess I didn't learn my lesson- currently have a set on the TLR. Again, good grip on the tire, just worrying about longevity.

It's in the riding, I can shred a set in 1500 to 2000 miles. And a lot less that that if I had time to ride curves as much as I wanted, a lot of cruising time is forced in there.
There is really no compromise between grip or longevity, it's one or the other:beerchug:

Avon tires have lasted me the longest.... Stay away from Bridgestone tires, they are the worst.... Michelin tires are great tires also ..

Try the T30 from Bridgestone.....similar basic feel of the S20/16 profile wise but much better mileage and grippy enough for the road.
TBO any modern sports touring tyre these days will offer more than enough grip for most riders who currently get 3000+ miles from sports tyres like the Q2/3 or its rivals.
I rode my Gen 1 busa and a K7 Gsxr1k on the 1st model of the Dunlop Roadsmart and got 6000+miles from the rears in all conditions and that included a lot of fast road riding though i'm smooth on the throttle so don't benefit from the extra grip a full sports tyre offers.

Ive had S-20's, S-20 EVO's and Pirelli Diablo Corsa 2's

The bridgestone and pirellas are poles apart.. the Pirellis steer so fast but wear so quick. Bridgestones stick like glue too and are a step up from the standard 015's IMHO but arent as sporty. Both nice and stable on brakes and indeed mid corner but the Pirellis not so great on motorway when they move about a bit (wind etc has more effect). I think the S20's suit the bike more... day to day.

My pirelli's front was destroyed by the end... still tread on em but had a nasty ridge in the middle... im guessing they are for lighter bikes?

I'm going to try T-30's next. Im not good enough to push the standard tyres!!!! I got through 7 tires last year!!!

Sorry i lied - had Michelin Power Pures on old bike - liked them too. had no complaints.

I am trying Avon tires for the first time because if mileage issues as well. Pashnit did a review and talked about getting extra miles out if them. I only have a couple of hundred so far so I can't give an honest review yet.

Back