tire choices

ndufan

Registered
I know that wth horsepower comes shredded tires. I have lowered my 01 busa 1.5 inches and like to run straight line fast and hard. However I'm gonna try ( I hope ) to get better life out of my third tire and fourth chain. I only have 9,000 miles but I am hard on the bike. It is bulletproof. Can anyone help me to pick out a great sport touring set of tires so I can get more than 4,000 miles of of the rear? Changing front this time also so I'm wanting to try a new set. I loved the Metzlers on my 1100 but have been told to stay away from them on the Busa.

I'm curious why your contact told you to stay away from Metzler? I am running the M-1's and they seem to be strong and wearing OK. I only have 800 miles so far. The BT-56 gave me 4200 miles and were still servicable (no cord showing). Metzlers are really sticky and heat up fast. Any good sport tire should hold up to the Busa, especailly the ones that come from race technology. And Sport Touring tires for heavier bikes should be fine too. Watch out for tires designed for high mileage on a 600 touring bike.

as hard as sounds like you ride,
especially the hard accel,
you won't find a tire that's going to last 1000's of miles more than another.
Go for cheap $$$$$

I know that wth horsepower comes shredded tires. I have lowered my 01 busa 1.5 inches and like to run straight line fast and hard. However I'm gonna try ( I hope ) to get better life out of my third tire and fourth chain. I only have 9,000 miles but I am hard on the bike. It is bulletproof. Can anyone help me to pick out a great sport touring set of tires so I can get more than 4,000 miles of of the rear? Changing front this time also so I'm wanting to try a new set.  I loved the Metzlers on my 1100 but have been told to stay away from them on the Busa.
Welcome to this awesome board ndufan.
I have nearly 1800 miles on my Michelin Pilot Sports.......and they have nearly no wear yet......I know, I can't beleive it either.
Absolutely love them........absolutely love hard acceleration too.
And they are very sticky in the twisty stuff as well.
Have a great day dude.

thanks guys for the advice. Great to be on board.ordered some metzlers today.will keep you guys posted.

the bt020's are suspose to last longer
http://store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/bridbttir.html

I just ordered a new set of bt010's
shipped was $211.00 for the front and the rear.
they say they have been redone to last longer. we will see.
I ran the sport on the rear, lasted about 4500 miles.
I run it at the drag strip though. I don't burn the tire up at the start line.

good luck.

I'm not the fastest rider, nor do I do wheelies and burnouts. However, I literally ate a set of Metzler Sportecs up. I got 2900 miles on the rear and it was down to the steel chord. As a comparison, I got 4300 miles from stock BT56's riding the same way. I'm trying a bridgestone combination of BT12ss on front, and bt10 on the back. I have 3000 miles on this set and looks like about half the tread is left. I think I will exceed the 4300 miles from the stock tires easily but these tires are a lot stickier in the curves and don't slide like the stock tires did.

:newbie:
Need to change tyres in next few weeks , was considering trying Michelin Pilot Sport HPX - gets good writeup but don't know anyone running them on Busa , also local dealer offered Avon Azaro St 45/46 at very good price.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED - stability , grip in wet important , pet hate overbanding. !! (mileage would be nice but less important)

I'm running 020's and they've lasted unbelievably well, 18000 km, (12000 miles), front and about 12000 km, (9000 miles) rear. I ran them down pretty good but still I was impressed with their longevity.

Since my last post I have used up the Sportec. My numbers are almost exactly the same as BusaBen. I got 4200 on the BT-56s and will get almost 3000 on the Sportec rear.

I'm not really interested in the longevity of the tire. What is the lightest, softest tire available. Pirelli Supercorsa Race???

Anyone know of any good race tire articles floating around??

I have to agree with MONSTER about the Pilots. Great life and sticky, but heavier than I am looking for.

:withstupid:

I just checked my post, and I have to say OUCH!! I didn't mean for the I'm with stupid to point at MONSTER.

My bad, I was just referring to my tire knowledge. As pennance, I will go home and ride my wifes scooter.

since all you tire knowlege people are here i have a friend bugging me to get 180s on my 00 busa? will that really improve my cornering??? or is that a bad idea?
:sad: :super:

Hi,

I just changed my 180/50 BT020 to a 190 BT 020, and they don't fell any different to each other going into a corner. BT020 is the recommended touring tyre for the busa. beware that once the rear is squared off, the thing will fish tail readily in the wet

as far as looks, there is nothing in it. hard to see the difference really.

eD

Back