Tire choice....mixing brands...

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so after 4,000 miles my rear tire needs to be replaced (yes I've ridden this tire hard). Used this one for practicing sitdown wheelies, stand ups etc.. I just replaced my front tire with a Metz as well, about 200miles ago. I would like to try the Pilot Power, but not sure if the compounds are too different or not. I've never been one to always run the same type tire, just always made sure I used same or similar compounds...nothing like having a soft rear and hard front for some squirrelly mountain twisties (or simple to/from work rides). Whats the masses say about PP in rear and Metz up front, or should I stick with another Metz in the rear until the fronts ready to be replaced?

Charlie

"nothing like having a soft rear and hard front for some squirrelly mountain twisties"

uhmmmm...are you sure that's what you meant to say?...sounds more like a line out of the movie "Deliverance" than good tire logic.
laugh.gif

LOL at jinks...

As for the tires, I'd stick with the same types...

Jinkster...yeah, kind of what a meant to say but not convey ;) I think I will stick with the M1s for the rear, at least for another tire.

You can get a set of PP delivered for 260 or so.
Just throw down and ride matched up for ever more.
The overall equation usually works out to 2 rears to 1 front anyhow.
So when the rear stocker is smoked immediatly pair up.
I mean a 100 bucks for a front tire shouldn't be too much of a reach.

(TIMMYDUCK @ Oct. 08 2006,13:24) You can get a set of PP delivered for 260 or so.
Just throw down and ride matched up for ever more.
The overall equation usually works out to 2 rears to 1 front anyhow.
So when the rear stocker is smoked immediatly pair up.
I mean a 100 bucks for a front tire shouldn't be too much of a reach.
yeah...it don't make any sense at all...running your azz and your $11,000 over-powered, heavy duty sportbike on mis-matched tires with the hard one up front?....and please realize..i'm desperately trying to figure out ways NOT to use the "S" word here.
laugh.gif

cause i'm a nice guy.
tounge.gif

As a general rule, don't mix.

But...

if you really hard up for money or
you don't hit the twisties that hard or
you like to live dangerously

then mixing tires is not that big of a deal. Just don't go and hit the twisties hard and use caution if you do.

M1s and PP should be pretty close as far as grip levels/compounds. Profiles will be a little different...

The big thing you definately don't want is a touring tire on front and a sport tire in the back.
SHOCKED.gif

How does the M3 compare to the M1? I haven't heard much about them... The stealership carries M1-R's, always in stock, so will just get another one I suppose.

(CAT3 @ Oct. 08 2006,17:41) How does the M3 compare to the M1?  I haven't heard much about them...  The stealership carries M1-R's, always in stock, so will just get another one I suppose.
M3 is the new and improved M1
beerchug.gif

M3 looks like to follow much the same as the PP. Dealership has M1's in stock, so I'll flip that one for now and see how well it does less wheeling all the time.

I have been running M-1 and because of how fast I'm taking out the back No Twisties in Lubbock tx, rapid accel kills em I went thru 2 rears and the front still looks great so I was going to switch to PP but none in stock(and no M-1 rears either) and I needed a back tire NOW, so I put a Pilot Road and it matches the front M-1 very well it feels fine in the corners I have here, and mileage is going to go up substantually from what I can tell. I think the pilot road is gettin better to match the front with miles were as the M-1 rear seem to go away and get squirlly after about 1500 miles

Okay so when my rear OE Bridgestone is shot is it recommended I buy a single BT56 rear to run with the OE front until I need a new front and then by a full set?

(CAT3 @ Oct. 09 2006,16:38) M3 looks like to follow much the same as the PP.  Dealership has M1's in stock, so I'll flip that one for now and see how well it does less wheeling all the time.
If you liked the M-1 at all you will love the M-3! It is claimed to do everything better than the M-1 including Mileage! Mine has 4000 on the rear right now and it is about due for replacement. For comparison it has more tread left at 4 thou than the stock BT56 had at 2900! And it sticks like glue. I was initially skeptical about the mileage claims made by Metzler but as of now it is a full 25+% better mileage than stock and that aint easy on a bike like this with a rider like me! Absolutely no comparison to the Bridgestone (Handling, traction, roll rate, mileage etc.) which is the only other tire I have run on mine since I got it last fall. I am probably going to put one more rear on to get me through till spring and then try a set of Avon AV45/46’s just to see how I like em and whether I can live with the decreased traction and handling from a top level sport tire.

Over_Easy...when my stocker went out, I swapped an M1 on, and had no issues at all. I talked the tech at the stealership and he confirmed before purchase they would work well. Unfortunately I need a tire the next day or so, and M3 is a few days away from that. I have a hair over 4,000 on this M1, again with LOTS of practice on power-up/sit-down wheelies and practicing launch technique. I'll run another M1 and then order up an M3 from online, use that and see how it goes from there.

Charlie

Back